RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

Tag air pressure and adjusting

I have had the coach weighed by each individual tire. The tag overall is heavy weighing 9,800 combined. Tag has an overall capacity of 10,000

Drive axle overall 13,400 with a total capacity of 20,000

This is putting additional weight up on the fronts 13,800 with a total capacity of 14,300

I've email Freightliner, they said tag is non adjustable. I'm very familiar with pneumatics and finding the air regulator controlling the tag don't believe that's it's not adjustable.

What I found on the regulator is that the adjusting knob has a pop rivet in where normally is a screw to hold the knob on. I know pulling down on the adjusting knob allows the knob to turn and adjust air pressure out. Push in locks the knob. The pop rivet prevents pulling down on the knob

Click image for larger version

Name:	tag axle air regulator.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	263032

Question, anyone run across a regulator with the pop rivet? Would you agree drilling out the pop rivet will allow me to adjust the tag air pressure?

My thought is to release the knob add a gauge to see what the regulator output is set to and dial down from there

Thanks for any input

2008 Mandalay 43A #3166 FL XC ISL 425 2012 Jeep GC, Blue Ox Avanta with Apollo
1996 Winnebago Vectra 230 DP
2000 Fleetwood Tioga Montara
RichnSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

FWIW My 2011 Itasca Ellipse (essentially same as Winnie Tour) had the same overweight tag issues as delivered from the factory. At least on mine the tag air pressure was adjustable. I cycled between my local Freightliner dealer and a nearby CAT scale a few times until we got to a more reasonable (reduced) weight on the tag, added weight to the mains and taking it off the front axle as well.

Your proposed approach seems reasonable. All else fails replace the regulator with an adjustable one!

toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Thanks Todd, curious why you had to go to Freightliner and then to the CAT scale.

If I'm going to do this, my thought was go to the CAT scale (at my local truck stop) and then swing around park in the truck lot make the adjustment and back on the scales

I have a base numbers with air and also know the tag weight (pressure down) without air
Old 10-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #4

Mine had the same problem and was fixed by drilling out the rivet and adjusting the TAG pressure. Big difference! I had mine done at Bay Diesel in Red Bay but after observing and attending Camp Freightliner, I would do it myself. Keep adjusting until your axle weights are where you want them.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM   #5

Thanks Larry, you are confirming my thoughts

Tags
air