Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #15

Keep your fingers crossed. That sure has been a expensive problem for such a cheap fix
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #16

Location , location , location ; if the { self edit } strainer was where it could be seen , instead of being in the back side of beyond ; we wouldn't be hearing about so many issues with it.
Or even , detailed in the chassis ( Cummins ) service info provided with the coaches. But that info gets lost as the coach changes hands ; or is seldom read anyway.

I've lost track of the first post years ago when I first heard of the existence of the strainer ; the member had been in 5 shops over a two week period and had similar bills ; the couple came close to divorce and/or stopping RVing over the issue ; such was their frustration.
Thanks to those who took the time to post here , I'll have this post # on file and reference it whenever a new post on coach, repeated loss of power comes up.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #17

[QUOTE=bydnar;3551990]
As it turns out, the in-line strainer is before the lift pump. We were led to believe that the next device after the strainer is the filter. Therefore, the decision of great regret, to remove the strainer.
/QUOTE]

It is possible that the chassis manufacturer installed a filter/water separator , on the suction side of the lift pump , you would need to trace the fuel plumbing to be sure. Only the fuel filter mounted on the engine is Cummins supplied , anything else , is specified by Cummins and installed by the chassis builder.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bydnar"......Good informative post!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #19

Not surprized about the poor documentation by Cummins. They make some great equipment, but tend to keep things to themselves. I saw this when consulting with them in their very large engine division, on lift pump control systems.
DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #20

Another , older post with similar results, $$$ spent and time wasted because of the hidden fuel strainer.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/havi...ng-209255.html
Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok, thank you guys for posting this!
Now, is it just me, or am I the only one that wants to know what is the black "coffee grounds" looking stuff that was clogging up the filter in the first place?
And after all the tank scrubbing and line flushing and all the other stuff that was suppose to have been done, where the heck is it coming from?
Is it some form of algae, the fuel lines coming apart from the inside out?
Inquiring minds want to know? Rail!

PS, Just for your friends information, my Progressive Insurance "Roadside Assistance" costs me 16 dls. a year, and provides free towing!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
My biggest question, is did ANY of the owners call the previous facilities, talk to the manager and file a complaint ? And even ask for a refund, after sending photo or repair receipt to them?

It does not hurt to ask this of them. next I would use RvServiceReviews and place a write up on each and every one. Stating the facts. Then a follow up, with the later discussion on whether or not they refunded any of the funds.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have posted this many times. The coffee grounds stuff is rust. I described it as small grains of sand. To verify this, all you need to do is, use a magnet.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
replaced with every oil change".

As it turns out, the in-line strainer is before the lift pump. We were led to believe that the next device after the strainer is the filter. Therefore, the decision of great regret, to remove the strainer.

So, the strainer was put back in, the fuel lines flushed. They drove the coach and deemed it ready. $1,750, please.

1750 to replace a 13 dollar strainer that must be replaced at every oil change? So they spent about 15 hours finding the strainer? Or were there charges for other work?

I have a 98 HR endeavor 5.9isb on freightliner chassis. Anyone know if my rig has this thing?

Thanks and sorry to hear all the problems on this for your friend.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Driving west on I10 crossing Texas I fueled up at a Flying J. (Not going to name the Flying J as I cannot be certain it's where I got the bad fuel), but thirty miles later I cannot exceed 60mph and on any slight grade I can only get 45mph. MHs are passing me waving merrily.

I have a Scanguage D and I am checking my readouts and everything is reading as it should, but still cannot get Horse Power or speed. I narrowed it down to fuel starvation.

East of El Paso I turned into a Love's Truck Stop with a maintenance facility. I said I need a fuel filter to which they replied that they did not have one. Fortunately I Did. We changed the filter and in the old filter was a substance that was a cross between coffee grounds and tar. It was black goo.

That was the problem and even though they were convinced there was another fuel filter on the engine, we could never find one. I don't think on our model there is.

Next stop was Los Cruses, NM and while there I ordered two new fuel filters to carry with me.

I carry spare filters for Oil, Fuel, and also for the Genset. Not the Air filter however as they are rather expensive.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We changed the filter and in the old filter was a substance that was a cross between coffee grounds and tar. It was black goo.
Algae; you need a fuel additive with an algae killer, and be ready to change the filters again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Algea in fuel filter.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	159409  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hmmm, I've owned two MH's with Cummins and never knew about an inline "bird catcher", nor have any shops mentioned it. The '02 DSDP we owned for 13 years never had it changed if it even existed on it.
I'll have to climb under the present rig and look since it's not mentioned in anything I have in the owners manual box. I do have two filters, one before the engine and one on the engine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that this evasive in-line fuel filter is used only on certain chassis' and I can almost guarantee that both Country Coach and Monaco never used them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel