Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Tie rod ends for Freightliner XC hard to find

I am having a hard time getting tie rod ends for my 2005 Winnebago Vectra with Freightliner XC chassis with independent front suspension. Central Florida Freightliner dealer says he can't get them from factory because of national back order?
Are there any other sources other than Freightliner that would have them for this terrible design (no grease fittings and rubber boots disintegrate). I have brass showing in the tie rod ends and have a long cross country trip coming up in a couple weeks. Don't feel comfortable going without changing them first.
Need all four tie rod ends and am willing to pay for expedited freight cost but can't find them anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.
sbryan5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried checking at your local parts store?

Example link

Best Tie Rod End for Freightliner Cars, Trucks & SUVs
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

You should be able to match them at a good napa or truck parts store. Get Moog brand if possible.
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryan5500 View Post
I am having a hard time getting tie rod ends for my 2005 Winnebago Vectra with Freightliner XC chassis with independent front suspension. Central Florida Freightliner dealer says he can't get them from factory because of national back order?
Are there any other sources other than Freightliner that would have them for this terrible design (no grease fittings and rubber boots disintegrate). I have brass showing in the tie rod ends and have a long cross country trip coming up in a couple weeks. Don't feel comfortable going without changing them first.
Need all four tie rod ends and am willing to pay for expedited freight cost but can't find them anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.
I'm almost in the same "boat" so to speak. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Freightliner "Evolution" chassis which, I think is very close if not almost identical to the XC chassis. But ours is not independent front suspension. It's straight axle. My tie rod ends do have zerks but, they originally face straight down ward when in normal appearance. But, mine apparently were either hit by road debris or, damaged on a lift maybe because, both of those zirks are crimped over sideways.
And as such, they do not allow for me to grease those ends, GRrrrrr.

So, I also need a set. I have talked with a truck parts supply in North Las Vegas NV where I purchased my muffler through and they said they sell those tie rod ends all the time. They are common (mine are at least). If you haven't had any luck finding yours, I might be able to find that place again and see if they have outlets in other states that might be close to you. And maybe if they do, they might have what you need.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
But, mine apparently were either hit by road debris or, damaged on a lift maybe because, both of those zirks are crimped over sideways.
And as such, they do not allow for me to grease those ends, GRrrrrr.
Can't you just unscrew the threaded zerks, and replace? Every zerk I've seen is threaded on the one end, and just screwed right in to the fitting. I've replaced a couple before on other vehicles, over the years.

http://www.autozone.com/collision-bo...grease-fitting
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #6

Yes I've tried several parts and RV shops around the area. They all say they have to order them from the same place - Freightliner dealers and there aren't any in the system. Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking for someone that might have them.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #7

I do have the evolution chassis but independent front twin I-Beam suspension tie rods don't have grease fittings and the boots don't last long. Still searching. Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 05:33 AM   #8

Same situation, boots badly cracked and no zerks. I did have the suspension check at my annual service recently and they are tight. So I took my grease gun and worked a lot of grease in the gaps and pressed it in and around with my fingers. Going to do it again prior to the next big trip this summer. I will raise the front with the jacks so I can move the suspension parts around to get a good coating. Meantime, I'll start looking for replacements and get them changed out, with ones with zerks this time, next winter.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Can't you just unscrew the threaded zerks, and replace? Every zerk I've seen is threaded on the one end, and just screwed right in to the fitting. I've replaced a couple before on other vehicles, over the years.

Best Grease Fitting Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs
Kiawah,
Both of my zerks have been damaged. I have tried the replacement routine and, with no good results. The new zerks don't thread in well and, when I try and apply grease, it just squirts out around the threads, even though I've tightened them to what I think is about max, based on what the potential limit is before they just break off.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are the zerks metric or sae? I would suspect they are metric.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #11

I also have damaged tie rod end on my XC-R ZF boots that are coming apart. I looked a bit to find if there are replacement boots but the only thing I could find up to now is this site https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5
They only have one type and it fits Spartan. they sell these for $4.39 each so thinking of ordering them and eyeball them to see if they would fit.
Would someone know if it's a close fit ?????? If they are close might be a solution to keep them clean and full of grease
Thanks
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

x1. Need boots as well and curious if the Spartan will work? My boots (no Zerks) are completely gone, but components are still tight. Just thinking without the boot and some grease they will start to rust when I'm in more humid climates.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #13

Same issue, 06 Winni

All four on my tie rod end have same issues as described earlier.

I have visited FL dealer. There are 13 parts available for one side in FL nat. inventory. There is no parts available for the other side.

I talked to the parts guy in Gaffey and he says the factory ordered parts in May and still have not received any. I understand that the issue can be elevated up to a critical part order status, but did not get that urgent need from the FL parts guy.
I have not talked to a FL Motorhome rep. as yet, but will be seeing them in forest city in a few weeks.
I have searched a few major parts suppliers and have given them the FL part number, of which has changed over the years, and all roads lead back to FL.

Also if and when you do get your tie rod end replaced, it is recommended that you get your front alignment done as well.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #14

I have my new tie rod ends!!

Met with FL reps at Winnie GNR.

I don't understand and either do the FL reps. just what is going on.

Gaffney, parts gets 4 to 5 sets a week and they go quick.

I was told that to get your part, you have to place the order, when you do it, it starts the a critical order process. Even if your local FL part guy says the part is not available, say order the part.

The other best advise is to call FL customer service and ask for parts and place the order with them and have the parts shipped to your home.
This was how I got my parts...

I was billed $345.30 for the 4 tie rod end with shipping.

I was asked to send my worn out (or look like the are)parts back to Gaffney for evaluation.

RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner