Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad light wiring problem

Don't know if maybe I've just gone brain dead or what but need help

My Winnebago Journey has a 6 pin connector on the rear. The plug has a pin for brake lights and two separate pins for signal lights. The motorhome has separate brake and signal lights. I can't figure how to wire it in to my 4 wire harness on the car. The car wants the brake and signal lights to be the same. A standard 6 to 4 adapter won't work.

None of the diagrams I've found on the net has been any help.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post

My Winnebago Journey has a 6 pin connector on the rear. The plug has a pin for brake lights and two separate pins for signal lights. The motorhome has separate brake and signal lights. I can't figure how to wire it in to my 4 wire harness on the car. The car wants the brake and signal lights to be the same. A standard 6 to 4 adapter won't work.

Had same problem. Had RV place wire in a box that let car know what was going on. They said RV needed something to separate signals. Cost about $75 out the door. Everything works the way it should
Believe it was a capacitor system of some sort. Took tech about fifteen minutes to diagnose and wire in.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You need a 'Taillight Converter' that will take your separate turn and brake lights and change it to signals compatible with a combined turn/brake light.
Standard Taillight Converters | CURT Manufacturing
Reese Towpower/Powered tail light converter (78015) | Tail Light Converter | AutoZone.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:

Wizard,
Your "problem" is not a problem. It's quite common. Many guys just don't know the simple remedies for it. You've been given answers but, no explanation. Here's how it works in a nut shell.

Your coach utilizes three filaments for tail light signals.
1. Running
2. Turn signals (Amber)
3. Brake lights (Red)

Your toad utilizes two filaments for the same purpose but, combines them.
1. Running
2. Right turn/brake, Left turn/brake

So, what many coach and chassis builders that utilize the "amber turn signals do for the end users in advance is, wire in a "tail light converter" for you. That converter simply "converts" the three filament system to the two filament system so it's easier to wire toads. They do it in the wiring of the tail lights before the wires enter the trailer plug. That way, you have what's needed right at the trailer plug for a toad like yours and many others.

But, it appears yours does not have that converter in place. No big deal what so ever. You've got two choices here.

1. Purchase the tail light converter and install it, just like the factory would. All that's needed is for you to disassemble the trailer plug, and, install the converter in line, prior to reassembling the trailer plug, DONE! That way, you'll have "RT/Brake, LF/Brake, on separate pins in that trailer plug and you can go right a head from that point and set up your toad.

2. The second way is to wire in that tail light converter in your toad light wiring. It's only marginally harder that way but, still accomplishes the same result. I've done it a zillion times. That little converter does all the thinking for you. And, by the way, the actual converter that you'll need has a total of 5 wires. Three in and two out, period. On the labeling on the converter you'll see

1. Right turn
2. Left turn
3. Brake

On the output side you'll read:

1. RT/brake
2. LT/Brake

There's no need to get one that has running lights and grounds. They have absolutely nothing to do with your issue. They will take care of themselves separately of the converter. It's just that some manufacturers of the converters put those in to the box too. Not needed.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Either of these should do what you want:

Five-wire converter

Three-wire converter

Wish you were closer to me -- I have a brand new one that I don't need.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys for all the responses and great advice. Told you I was brain dead. I've used one of the converters in the past and had forgotten. I ordered a converter yesterday.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the responses and great advice. Told you I was brain dead. I've used one of the converters in the past and had forgotten. I ordered a converter yesterday.
Wizard,
Glad we all gave you some assistance here. Hope you get it all working as you'd like. Take care.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well got the converter a couple of weeks ago but the motorhome was in the shop for dash AC repairs. Got the motorhome back yesterday. Went out today to install the converter, only too about an hour. Most of that time was walking back and forth switching lights on and off. Finally got the wife out to operate the lights while I identified the correct wires, Winnebago uses all yellow wires.

Surprise, everything worked right the first time.
Thanks for all the responses.

Tags
toad, wiring