Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Too short to reach the pedals

Any other short drivers have a hard time adjusting the seat. We have a, new to us, Mountain Aire on a Freightliner Chassis. Even with the pedals all the way out and the chair moved forward I can't comfortably reach the pedals.

I'm 5'2" and my feet are dangling off the floor. I'm so close to the dash that my legs are wrapped around the steering column. An hour is all I can stand before my lower legs start to fall asleep. I have adjusted everything possible.

Any of you short drivers find a solution? Luckily the coach is super comfy for my husband to drive, but we like sharing the driving time.
4zebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

You do know that the seat lowers don't you? Look at the seat adjustment knobs on the side of the seat and play with them until you get adjusted correctly.

The other thing you can do is have some blocks built that securely attach to the brake and accelerator pedal then have a 2 or 3 inch box made that velcro's to the floor so your feet don't dangle.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

I've got the seat as low as it will go. My husband's concern is that attaching something to the floor or pedals could come loose. But it's still a thought.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My 4'11" wife has the same problem (in many vehicles).
I got some of those anti fatigue mats from Harbor freight, and cut them to fit so they can't slide around, basically making the floor come to her. (it took two layers screwed together to make it comfortable for her).
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ti+fatigue+mat

Doing that solves the problem for her. Now she can have a heel on the floor and toes on the pedal, rather than just toes on the pedal - which as you know is a very awkward driving position.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
My 4'11" wife has the same problem (in many vehicles).
I got some of those anti fatigue mats from Harbor freight, and cut them to fit so they can't slide around, basically making the floor come to her. (it took two layers screwed together to make it comfortable for her).
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ti+fatigue+mat

Doing that solves the problem for her. Now she can have a heel on the floor and toes on the pedal, rather than just toes on the pedal - which as you know is a very awkward driving position.

Thanks! My husband is liking the sound of that idea.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Cut some pieces of that mat the size of the pedals. Then use large hose clamps to hold them in place.
I have seen this done. It could work for you.
Lee4
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

I didn't like the angle of the pedals on my Freightliner, they were too steep to be comfortable. I mounted a 2x4 in front of the pedals that my heal rests on so the angle of my ankle is more near 90* while driving.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

I agree. I use a 2”x10”-12” with carpet wrapped and stapled to raise the floor. If I lower the seat to much, it seems to put me at an odd driving angle even with the adjustable tilt steering wheel. I don’t like the angle of the pedals and on some of these interstates without the block my throttle bounces with the bumps.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote