Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #1

Valve Stem Extensions?

Will a Freightliner service center install correct valve stems where I can check the tire pressure and install a TPMS sensors? I was shocked with the locations of the stems where this cannot be done.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

I've lost two tires with those you need to go to a tire shop and have them install longer pre bent steel longer valve stems
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I've found the necessary tire pressure gauge and air chuck to check and fill the tires on My Seneca. It's also on a Freightliner chassis. They both need to be straight and not offset. I got them at the local O'Reilly's.
I'm not a fan of the extensions. Seen them leak and cause problems.
The tire pressure monitors seem to have issues based on the research I've done. They need to be installed with sealant tape on the treads and may cause the metal valve on the wheel to crack and break due to the rotational force when the coach is driven. Kind of a personal issue but there's what my opinion is for what it's worth.
Good luck. Happy Motoring!

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for posting this! it's on my list of things to get done.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

I called a Freightliner service center and they will not do anything related to tires. Why do they build something that will not work?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I called a Freightliner service center and they will not do anything related to tires. Why do they build something that will not work?
They probably do not have the equipment to break down the tire. Find a commercial truck tire service center. My coach is built on a Ford chassis but the local Ford service center won't work on it for the same reason Freightliner won't work on tires. They don't have the shop equipment to support.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called my local Tire shop chain and they said they would change out the valve stems to a commercial steel extended stem for all 6 tires.