Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Valves, coolant, thermostats, and TranSynd done.

Folks,

This was the year that I needed to change out the thermostats, coolant, transmission fluid, and have the valve adjustments done. In The Kansas City metro area there are several places to get service. I called around and got a good quote from Foley Equipment, which was less than half the cost quoted by others. Foley is a CAT dealer and this shop has a truck center. They used TransSynd and CAT ELC. I read the posts here about Freightliner not recommending ELC, but chose to have it used anyway.

When they got into the thermostats, the service tech found pitting in the seal areas on the housing so it was replaced after I got a call. They kept the parts for me. This added to my final bill, but there was no hesitation to replace it.

After I got it home I did the Simple Green Extreme to the CAC and radiator inside and out since the bed was out for engine access anyway. I have the access I cut in the shroud from the first time I cleaned it. I was please to find it still relatively clean, much better than when I first did it. The trouble light shone through the CAC and out the radiator. The peanut butter jar does its job well!

I also took a 20 inch by 8 inch piece of black marine vinyl and attached it over my plastic coolant tank to block out most of the UV rays. I used an old piece of abs plastic to make a strip to help hold down the vinyl and screwed it down. I used magnets with adhesive to hold the bottom of the flap. I posted a picture of the flap. Got the idea from one of the forums.
All in all, I can have a little more peace of mind and less in my wallet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	107325  
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Hey Dave,
How is ya? Hope all is well. Nice job on the cover flap for the radiator overflow tank. Not a bad idea, even if It wasn't yours. Although ours does have its own garage and, only sees the sun when we're using it, it's still nice to protect that $130 tank, for as long as possible. Who knows what it will cost the next time I have to buy it??

Now, a question for you. You say you had your service company use "Transynd" when they did the service, correct? Was your transmission using Transynd before the service or, did you just change over to it at this service? If you did the change-over during this service, may I ask, did you ask, what was the procedure for the change out?

The main reason I ask is, I'm sure you've read some of the threads by a member on here that used to be a former tech for Allison and, he's done extensive work on all the fluids, including Transynd and more. He has a specific method for changing over to Transynd if one is running Dexron at present. Just wondering.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Scott,

I am not sure what fluid was in the transmission prior to the change out. The PO had no records of changing out the original, so I am thinking it was not TranSynd due to the MH being made in 2003. We bought it in 2012, the same year I retired. This was the first we could afford to do the fluids and change out since life got in the way.

I know they drained and filled as opposed to using a pump to change it out. Other than that, the service tech said I was good to go. I asked if they did a lot of Allison transmission fluids and was told they did.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Once you get the Transynd in there...as long as it tests good annually, it's good for life.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat