Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #15

Wandering down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniebel67 View Post
...Can too much pressure really make a coach wander? It would seem higher pressure would be more stable .

ABSOLUTELY! When we bought our Mandalay (used, from a private owner) he ran 110 psi in all the tires. It was a handful to drive. It road rough, wandered a bit and oversteered badly in turns.

My first trip to Freightliner Factory Service in Gaffney, I had them do a 4-corner weight. We then consulted the Michelin loading charts to find the RIGHT inflation pressure. The correct pressures for our weight was 105 in the steer tires and 95 in the rears.

I could not believe the difference! As I said in my earlier post in this thread, it is a dream to drive now. Rides nice and stable. I'd rather drive this coach than my Chrysler 300C.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
have an 04 Ultra Sport 4075 that runs a straight as an arrow with 65,000 miles on it, Tires are always a given for first check
rickdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Before spending money, weight and adjust tire pressure. If to much tire pressure the coach will wander.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitboss02 View Post
Just bought a 2004 Damon ultra sport 4075. It sits on top of the Freightliner XC chassis with air bags and a 350 cat. When I first drove it I was pretty uncomfortable but I thought I'll get used to it after a while I did get into a rhythm with this thing wandering but I decided there was no way that I was going to go on a long trips with it the way it is cuz I would be wore out in four hours.
I did a bunch of research online and read a bunch of blogs and what I found most interesting was what Henderson lineup had to say from Out in Oregon and some of the remedy ideas they have came up with as well as aftermarket parts to help us improve the drivablity. They seemed to have a very well thought out approach to trying to identify what is causing the problem and then involve the customer in Ways it can be resolved. They put me in touch with a company in Minneapolis St. Paul Minnesota that they recommended I use to correct my problems. This company seems to have a good reputation but they're not cheap, they said I could expect to spend $2500 on low side and As high as $5000. It seems like a lot of money to spend but in the end it may be worth it if you do get a lot better driving MH.
I would be interested in anyone thoughts on this based on their experience with motor homes, guess I'm looking for some help in deciding whether or not I can make enough of a significant improvement to the warrant the cost.
Still think tires are your issue. I have the same coach. At 110 air pressure mine would walk. At 105 it did not
rickdavis is offline   Reply With Quote