Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
water temp fluctuates

I have installed a scan gauge in our MH to monitor water temperature. I have noticed that the coach's temperature going down the road with relatively light load with outside ambient temp. at 75 degrees heating up to 210.The fan clutch engages and cools down to 175 and then will cycle the same temps. Is this to high of an operating temperatures? Do I have a bad sensor which triggers the fan clutch? I did notice that when outside temp is higher it cycles quicker but still fluctuates 210 to 175.
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What use to be standard cooling systems has changed a lot over the years. They are operating at higher temps and are much more important than before the computer age.

We have a 2013 F-53 gas chassis and a scan gauge. Our temps run very steady all the time from about 199 to 202 or 203. I can't hear any clutch fan engaging or disengaging. I know it has one but i can't hear it or notice a temp change when that happens.

The DP may operate differently with different parameters and expected temperature fluctuations. If these temp changes are different from before then maybe something needs looked into. If it's been doing that since you've owned it then maybe not. I know how our coach operates. If and when those temps start changing then I'll know there's something not working as it did before.

That's how I'd approach troubleshooting your system. If that's how it has always worked then OK. If it's different then maybe not. You just installed the scan gauge so now you have a better idea of how the temps have been fluctuating over the time you've owned the coach. So it may not be an issue, but just new information for you to understand.

TeJay
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
TeJay
We traded our gasser for this DP in February with 18k on it . I do not have a regular operating temp as we have always watch temp gauge go half to 3/4 which concerned me hence the scan gauge. We have put several thousand miles on coach so far with no overheating but still cautious.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Same thing happened to me (Cat 3126). It was the thermostats sticking Check your manual, on the Cat. its replacement every 3 yrs.
On your's ?:
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
I have installed a scan gauge in our MH to monitor water temperature. I have noticed that the coach's temperature going down the road with relatively light load with outside ambient temp. at 75 degrees heating up to 210.The fan clutch engages and cools down to 175 and then will cycle the same temps. Is this to high of an operating temperatures? Do I have a bad sensor which triggers the fan clutch? I did notice that when outside temp is higher it cycles quicker but still fluctuates 210 to 175.
Perfectly normal operation. On long hard pulls you will see it climb to 220 and then cool down. On flat roads, it will vary between 190-210. My guess is that you have an electrically operated fan clutch, and it is cycling within its normal range.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

Mark,
Just wondering, you don't say what kind/make/model/engine/year/chassis of coach you have. 99.999999% of most diesel pushers DON'T have fan clutches so, I'm assuming yours is a side radiator model.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
My 2004 runs about 190 unless it is very hot outside or I'm climbing a steep hill or both. Rarely does it get much above 210.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
My signature has year make and model but Cummins 360HP pushing 40 foot rear radiator on freightliner chassis.
I can hear the fan engage at 210 with quite a roar till it cools to 185
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Mark,
Just wondering, you don't say what kind/make/model/engine/year/chassis of coach you have. 99.999999% of most diesel pushers DON'T have fan clutches so, I'm assuming yours is a side radiator model.
Scott
Scott,

While I usually agree with most of your posts, your statement that 99.99999% of dp's DON'T have fan clutches is incorrect. The vast majority of rear radiator pushers and many side radiator configurations utilize an electro-viscous clutch unit to control fan speed.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
My signature has year make and model but Cummins 360HP pushing 40 foot rear radiator on freightliner chassis.
I can hear the fan engage at 210 with quite a roar till it cools to 185
This is exactly how my 2008 Tour with 400HP rear-mounted radiator runs, and has since I purchased it new. I'll agree with the others who say this is normal operation. I know folks who wish theirs ran in the range yours does!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water