Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Wheel bearing oil

Are there any recomenditions on wheel bearing oil for my frieightliner steer bearings ? I would like to use a synthetic oil if posssible .
I am thinking of using Lucas Oil 10047 SAE 75W90 Synthetic Racing Gear Oil
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have wondered the same thing. Let's see if anyone has switched.... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171113-192439.png
Views:	215
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	182851
Ilovenh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

Don't have a recommendation on hub oil--most RV owners don't travel enough miles for the type of oil to make a big difference--IMHO. Was curious what technique you plan to use to remove the old oil. From my experience, there is a lot of oil in the hollow of the hub that is pretty hard to remove, unless you remove the outside bearing to reach the hollow??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Don't have a recommendation on hub oil--most RV owners don't travel enough miles for the type of oil to make a big difference--IMHO. Was curious what technique you plan to use to remove the old oil. From my experience, there is a lot of oil in the hollow of the hub that is pretty hard to remove, unless you remove the outside bearing to reach the hollow??????
Being the first time for me . That is good to know . Would you think anything serious would happen if it were not all removed . From past experiences in the auto world , I would not think so .
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #5

Yes and no--my experience with replacing the inner hub seal on my 40ft DP, was that the majority of the hub oil is held in the hub hollow. Even if you take off the outside hub cover, mine is a 6-bolt Stemco hub cover, the majority of the oil remains in the hub hollow. I had to remove the entire hub when I replaced the seal--that is when I discovered the hollow. Didn't need to try it but don't see any way to get a suction hose into the hollow without removing the outside bearing. Bottom-line: any new fluid you put in will mix with the existing oil but you won't get much of a change of fresh oil.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious...are you changing the oil, and, if so, why?

Or are you just topping off?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious...are you changing the oil, and, if so, why?

Or are you just topping off?
To answer your question . Yes I thought I would make a change .
I purchased the coach a year ago . And just thought I would change it . So I have a baseline of my own to follow . Not knowing the recommended intervals .
It is an 05 Journey I purchased from the original 84 yo owner .

Should I not ? As the level is where it should be . And I like synthetic oil .
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've not heard of any maintenance needing to be done on oil filled bearings.

My are 13 years old with 87,000 miles on them and I've never had to do anything to them other than check the level.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Yes and no--my experience with replacing the inner hub seal on my 40ft DP, was that the majority of the hub oil is held in the hub hollow. Even if you take off the outside hub cover, mine is a 6-bolt Stemco hub cover, the majority of the oil remains in the hub hollow. I had to remove the entire hub when I replaced the seal--that is when I discovered the hollow. Didn't need to try it but don't see any way to get a suction hose into the hollow without removing the outside bearing. Bottom-line: any new fluid you put in will mix with the existing oil but you won't get much of a change of fresh oil.
Thank you for that information . I do believe in what you say !
Once again I purchased this coach a year ago from the original owner .

I have found this tread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/how-...als-84704.html

If I decide to do a change I will take your advise . I can do this task
Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've not heard of any maintenance needing to be done on oil filled bearings.

My are 13 years old with 87,000 miles on them and I've never had to do anything to them other than check the level.
That is very valuable to know ! As mine just turned 40K
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

Unless the oil has turned milky in color indicating water contamination, there is no reason to change the oil. OTR trucks go for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

I have driven trucks hundreds of thousands of miles. I have never heard of changing the oil. The only time oil gets changes if is the seal or bearing goes out. Usually the seal will start to leak. Then you take it all apart. Inspect bearing and refill with new 80-90w.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

My coach is 10 year old, 2007 Model, I changed the oil last month, i installed Lucas oil as per above post.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

Probably be good to check the bearing preload on front hubs, like every 50k miles or so. Loose/sloppy bearings probably wont lead to bearing failure anytime soon but could cause the inner hub seals to fail. Replacing the seal is a pretty intense DIY effort but can be done--just need to hitch up your "big-boy" pants....
New Braunfels, Texas