RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Why can't MH go up small ramp

I have a question about torque. The other day was trying to put the MH tires up on some wood planks as the soil was soft. So I put my 3" high pad blocks in front of each wheel. Then I tried to go forward to roll up on the wood. The MH just would not go up on the blocks. The blocks dug into the ground causing a 25 degree incline and the engine just did not have enough power to make the lift. Why is this happening? I can move 35K pound down a highway but not two inches up on the blocks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

A lot of the power is developed with the turbo charger. You need to get the RPMs up for that to happen. One fan blade blows the other.

Turbos lag behind the throttle application.

Hold down the throttle pedal, let the torque converter slip, as the RPMs climb and it will go. Just be ready to stop it, before driving over the other side.

Of course, a better idea is to build a smaller step, longer ramp.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
from your description, not sure if you are saying you have an engine problem or not....

but otherwise - use momentum by not starting jammed up right at the blocks,
give yourself a foot or two to accelerate and USE the weight to help you up and over instead of holding you back...

When rock crawling offroad in the jeeps you can run into that scenario a lot, you get butted up to a rock overhang and can't get up it, so back off a bit and GO, the momentum will help you up the incline...
Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Sounds like you have basically wheel chocks. Put an angle on the blocks.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Buy a gasser. I've never had a problem. Actually my dad's gasser climbs ramps ok, but he does have to step on the gas a bit.

You have a few things working against you. First, because you have a diesel, you have a very low stall speed on your torque converter. This prevents the engine from getting enough RPM to get the turbo to spool up and cram air into the cylinder. No air means no power. Diesels are inherently under powered, because in normal driving, the higher torque makes the lack of power more tolerable. With a gasser, the stall speed on the torque converter is much higher. This allows for slip, so the engine RPM climbs up to where it can make power. The greater slip of the torque converter also allows for greater multiplication of the torque.

Diesels have a very narrow power band. That means they play a lot of "tricks" to make it move. The transmissions have a lot of gears to optimize the performance for the narrow power band. Even so, they compromise by not having low enough gearing. That narrow power band also is why they use such a slow stall speed on the TC. They have to because the usable RPM range is so narrow. in normal driving, zero to rolling is not critical, and it would be shifting as soon as the vehicle started moving. The engineers just assume that range is not that important, so it doesn't have that creeper gear.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

Torque converter in transmission is keeping it from happening. You need to roll into them a little bit.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Get a 2x6 and cut some more blocks to place in front of your 3" blocks so you will only have to overcome 1 1/2" change in elevation at time. The 3" block is presenting too much to overcome in a single attempt.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Thanks for the explanation. I will ad some build up blocks.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Sounds like you have basically wheel chocks. Put an angle on the blocks.
I had the same problem trying to get the MH up on 3" high pads to park for the summer. Same thing, just pushed them into the ground which certainly does not indicate "no power" but as said above, you basically had chocks. I put a smaller block in front of the higher ones and no problem...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I enter my parking pad by climbing a curb, probably 6" high or more. Roll up until tire touches, stop, a bit of throttle and up it goes. No problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I enter my parking pad by climbing a curb, probably 6" high or more. Roll up until tire touches, stop, a bit of throttle and up it goes. No problem.
Yes, but your not on soft ground and trying to climb up with all of the wheels.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote