Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Winnebago Wanders

We purchased a 2004 32' Winnebago Journey because we like to get into smaller places. The coach is on a Freightliner chassis. Realizing it's a relatively short wheelbase, the coach tends to wander going down the road and takes constant attention to keep it where I want it. I don't know how the short wheelbase contributes to that instability. I've read about after market stabilizers and would appreciate feedback about what the root causes might be as well as how well these after market stabilizers work. Additionally, any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Denny
dmroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

I just bought a 32 Itasca Horizon and am having the same issue. I'll be interested to know what people think!
BlueHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excessive tire pressure will cause wandering.

Weigh you RV and set the tire pressure according to the manufacturers weight chart.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
BlueHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroaming View Post
... Realizing it's a relatively short wheelbase, the coach tends to wander going down the road and takes constant attention to keep it where I want it. I don't know how the short wheelbase contributes to that instability... Denny

Denny, take a look at your specs. If your wheelbase is less than about 53% of your overall length, you probably have a fairly long rear overhang and will tend to wander. It doesn't take more than a few percentage points to make a big difference. Up around 56-57% you should be smooth and solid. If your coach is in that area and still wandering, there may be chassis issues.

Generally, the shorter the wheelbase as a percentage of overall length, the more unstable the vehicle will be. Visualize a 40 ft coach perched on a 10 ft wheelbase and you'll get the idea.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #6

Wheel base vs overall length ain't something you can fix. IMHO that is not the cause of most wandering problems, nor is tire pressure. It's alignment and specifically the tow-in.
A vehicle with no toe or slightly towed out will wander all over the place. Been there, done that. Go to a truck repair facility that a) does alignments and b) will take RVs and have them check the entire alignment including the rear axle. Hopefully, that will fix your wandering problem . . . assuming this is not your first motorhome and are comparing it to the way your Toyota, or Cadillac, or Ford handles. If that, then ya gotta realize this thing is a TRUCK not a small sedan and will handle differently.

Good luck. It took me some time to find a good alignment shop and now my 34'7" er on a 208" wheel base tracks straight down the road . . . and in my opinion handles just fine. I am one of them "50%ers" Wheel Base to Overall length folks. I don't have nearly the overhang I have seen on other, longer MH, I just know that mine handles very well compared to the other two I have owned. Mine is a Freightliner chassis and if everything is kept within specs, should never need any aftermarket gizmos.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Try to find a good allingment shop and have a allingment done. Also have them check your steering box. The steering box had alot of play in it.
Had this done to my 04 itasca Meridian 39w, and it drove like a new one when we got it back. we also put a super steer bell crank. Shop said our old one was haging up and I was over steering trying to get past the rough spot on the old bell crank. Hope this helps! Btw we had around 19000 miles when this was done.
phatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #8

Crazy to think you'd have to replace any steering components at 19k miles! I think it's likely this is my issue as well. I'll put it on the list for the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing you need to consider IMHO even before the alignment is the SuperSteer SS100 Bell Crank for Freightliner XC and Magnum Motorhome Chassis by Henderson's.

Bell Crank for Freightliner XC and Magnum Chassis

i installed one and the wandering disappeared. After installing the SS100 I discovered that my coach bulles to the right. Went to the alignment shop and sure enough I've got an alignment problem. Being taken care of now. The b**** is thay have to twist the axle which means removing twisting and reinstalling. No, you don't want to know the cost. Reason the axle is out of limits is unknown. They said could have come from factory like that, but, as I'm the second owner I'm betting it got hit!

The SS100 really is worth the money and will cure all or at least 95% of your wandering.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #10

Earl: If you are referring to the front axle it is time to find a real alignment shop. Unless your FA looks like a pretzel there is no need to remove the axle. If a major Adjustment is necessary the axle is normally bent right on the aligment machine by using chains and porta powers. Newer alignment equipment have even better methods. Front axles have been done this way since solid axles hit the streets.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 32T that I bought new. Everything is original except Koni shocks in the front and 255 (1 size larger) tires. I have a 177,000 miles and it does not wander. Follows are things I would do before adding any after market equiptment. Weigh each wheel after loading for a trip. Adjust load to balance side to side as best as possible with putting heavest items towards the front. Weigh again and adjust tire pressure to manufactures recomendation. Have front end alligned. I have not had any wandering with the exception of high winds. The coach rides dead straight with very little adjustment in steering from the driver.Good luck and let us know how it goes.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My Ellipse 40FD wandered all over the place right from the factory. Dealer couldn't do anything about it. Took it to FL Oasis shop twice with no luck. Then to a specialty alignment shop. Everyone told me it was normal.

I finally took it up to Henderson's Line Up in Oregon. After a Road Test Assessment, they installed a Safe T Plus stabilizer, new bell crank, and Motion Control Units... as well as taking some slop out of the steering gear.

It made all the difference in the world and now driving is a two finger exercise.

Ensure proper inflation and alignment first, but some of the after market devices really do make a big improvement.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
My Ellipse 40FD wandered all over the place right from the factory. Dealer couldn't do anything about it. Took it to FL Oasis shop twice with no luck. Then to a specialty alignment shop. Everyone told me it was normal.

I finally took it up to Henderson's Line Up in Oregon. After a Road Test Assessment, they installed a Safe T Plus stabilizer, new bell crank, and Motion Control Units... as well as taking some slop out of the steering gear.

It made all the difference in the world and now driving is a two finger exercise.

Ensure proper inflation and alignment first, but some of the after market devices really do make a big improvement.

Rick
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. Rick - where is Henderson's Line Up in Oregon? That might work for me.

Denny
dmroaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroaming View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. Rick - where is Henderson's Line Up in Oregon? That might work for me.

Denny
They're in Grant's Pass. Great folks to work with and they know their stuff.

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

I think they still offer what they call a Road Test Assessment... or something similar to that. It's a hundred bucks or so but they take the coach out for a test drive with you along. You tell them what you think you have been feeling and they give it about a 10 mile test drive under a lot of varied conditions to assess how they think it performs and then give you a written assessment along with prioritized suggestions on what they might have that will help correct the issues.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago