Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Wiring a brake controller

I have been asking for info on the Freightliner wiring harness plug. No body seem to know the answer. Well yesterday I bought a Prodegy P2 brake controller and asked the seller if they had a harness to fit the MH plug. I got refereed to Freightliner and they gave me a part #, but not sure it was the correct one as the price was over $150 for a 6" pigtail with a plug.

Well after looking at my Camp Freightliner book, I found a wiring diagram. Still not sure and did not want to let the "blue smoke" out of the new controller. You know things just don't work after you let the BLUE SMOKE out.

Well I got a response from Tekonsha Technical Support.

Freightliner Wires ...................Brake Controller Wire
RED...............................Black (ground)
Small RED/WHITE............Red 12VDC +
BLACK ...........................White (brake signal to plug)
LG RED/WHITE................BLUE (brake switch)
BROWN ....NOT USED

Hope this helps

Poppy
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Good info, thanks!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Don't know if this is what you are looking for. I want to wire a prodigy brake controller and after talking to the people at Tweety's, this is the pig tail they want me to us. I will have to splice my controller to the pig tail, but a lot less trouble than by-passing the plug that is already supplied with the rig. Hope this helps.

Us Gear Pigtail Harness, Freightliner Chassis
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post
Don't know if this is what you are looking for. I want to wire a prodigy brake controller and after talking to the people at Tweety's, this is the pig tail they want me to us. I will have to splice my controller to the pig tail, but a lot less trouble than by-passing the plug that is already supplied with the rig. Hope this helps.

Us Gear Pigtail Harness, Freightliner Chassis
You should not have to splice anything with the pig tail. The white flat plug will plug into the controller. The loose wire is probably a ground. Plug and go!

That is what I was looking for before I decided to cut and crimp the four wires. Took me 10 minutes to do it and all the crimps were supplied.

Thanks for the info.

poppy
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #5

Poppy,

I did order this pig tail and when it comes, the best case is that the flat end will fit my controller, but may not, per the contact at tweety's. If not, I will just splice that pig tail to the pig tail that I have that came with the controller. I, too, was going to going to cut out the female end under the dash and splice my prodigy pig tail, but, the wire bundle for the controller is bound up so thightly with a larger bundle and so little of the end was sticking out that I had no room to splice. I just didn't want to get into unraveling the big bundle. You are right that it is an easy job which I have done on previous MHs. You are also right in your original post that this pig tail is harder than it needs to be to find. Just from talking to a couple of sources that installs brake controllers, I think that it may be a more common practice than not to do exactly as you did. Thanks, and nice talking with you.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Got the pig tail from Tweety's. It does indeed plug into the Freightliner harness. However, it does not plug into my controller. Had to splice my controller pig tail to the US Gear pig tail. Colors do not match but it does work.

Tags
brake, wiring