RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Question 1-ton tow vehicle tire expeirience

Hi All. Our question isn't specific to NH rigs, but very interested in what tires others towing a NH trailer with a 1-ton dually are riding on. We'll be picking up our S32IK3S in late February (so no weights yet, but estimating c. 19.5k fully loaded). We have a 2019 Ram 3500 DRW (17" rims) with the OEM tires on it. We've no complaints about the tires so far, but the truck has less than 4k miles on it and none of those were towing heavy.

It's pretty easy to find negative reviews of the OEM tires (Nexen). Even though negative reviewers tend to be self-selecting and all manufactures seem to have some issues, tires aren't something we want to take any unnecessary chances on. So, anyone have any experience with the Nexen tires, or just recommendations they can share on tires to upgrade to for a one-ton tow vehicle?

Thanks.

Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dont know about Nexen but you should be able to rely on the weight rating on the tires. Most issues with OEM tires concern premature wear, not failure. So if the will carry the weight, and they should be load range E, so should be fine, Id run them for 25-30 k and then replace them.

They may not have a good tread design even though they probably are stamped M+S, amd they probably dont have much side wall protection, but the manufacturer doesnt want a lot of warranty body work because of tire failure so they are motivated to put on tires thst are likely to hold up under normal used during the tread life, even it its short because they are the cheapest dependable tires they can get. And chances are Nexen Tires come out of the same factory as several name brand tires you have faith in.

Do a,wikipedia,searcch on them I dod this on Falken Because I was putting them on my grand daughters car, and found that they are owned by Sumitomo, one of the largest tire companies in the world, based in Japan, which also owns other major brands such as Goodyear.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks for the help R.Wold.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

The factory Nexan wear quickly under load and have lousy traction in the wet or in gravel. I have yet to find the perfect tire balancing all aspects of performance I'd like for my RAM DRW. I have been satisfied though with the Nitto EXO Grapplers I'm running currently. I have lost a little mileage (fractional) but what I gained in traction offsets that for me. They tend to throw gravel, but I've got decent splash guards at all corners.
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Put Yokahama Geolanders on my dually. Super quiet ride. Mine was 4x2 so did not worry about aggressive tread patterns. Went with an AS instead.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
Hi All. Our question isn't specific to NH rigs, but very interested in what tires others towing a NH trailer with a 1-ton dually are riding on. We'll be picking up our S32IK3S in late February (so no weights yet, but estimating c. 19.5k fully loaded). We have a 2019 Ram 3500 DRW (17" rims) with the OEM tires on it. We've no complaints about the tires so far, but the truck has less than 4k miles on it and none of those were towing heavy.

Thanks.
There are, or can be, two issues with a “1-ton” dually and heavier trailers, like the NH. Tires are not the limiting factor. That said, we were very pleased with the Continentals on our Ram 5500D.

First, will it pull the trailer? Sure, it will. That is not the issue.

The issues are:

The rear axle capacity and the pin weight of the trailer. When fully loaded, especially with an aux fuel tank, all your tools, etc. but mostly the trailer pin weight, will the rear axle be overloaded? If not, it will be very close. Never take as fact the weight “estimates” for the trailer. This is the problem with all 1-ton trucks – rear axle capacity.

The second is bed rail clearance. One needs at least 6” of clearance between the truck bed-rails and the 5er overhand. Yes, some will tell you we have 4” and no problems. That’s fine, till you do and then there is a major problem when going over a road into a campground or the like when the front of the truck dips, or rises, especially in a turn and then the truck bed rails “hook” into the overhand of the trailer. Seen it, not pretty – and expensive to repair.

Hauler beds are a great idea. However, when installed on a 1-ton they can, along with the cargo, air-ride hitch and the pin weight of the trailer, exceed the rear axle capacity. Mostly the trailer pin weight.

As some have said, “wish I had gotten a 5500HD with a hauler bed to start with and saved myself a lot of trouble and cost.”
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

i have a 2015 ram 3500 4x4 dually, 17" steel rims. they came with the oem nexen tires. i got 30K from them while towing a large 5th wheel. i then put on michelin M&S and got about 35K. just put on yokohama geolander ATS and it will take a couple of years to see how they wear. in looking at the tires the goelanders have the deepest tread depth. do not take this as an endorsement as everybody's usage / wear is probably different.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Tags
tow