RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

And wow, really, 500lbs! I just thought it was the rubber shock portion of the system that was the difference between weight ratings and I never would have drempt they could weigh that much.

Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
And wow, really, 500lbs! I just thought it was the rubber shock portion of the system that was the difference between weight ratings and I never would have drempt they could weigh that much.
An 8K MORryde IS (or MORryde's 7, 8.5, 9 or 10K IS) is an extremely well built system. It will actually reinforce the trailer's frame when installed as compared to a "leaf spring" system. It's in another class altogether. There really is a lot more to this then meets the eye; especially if one is going to travel and not just live in the trailer.

Don't be all concerned with the IS's weight. It, and the tires, carry that extra weight, not the frame. As commented before, the concern is primarily the hub weight on each individual wheel. There is a lot more to this and some of it depends on a dual or triple axle setup. Additionally, get the G114 "H" tires regardless. They will pay for themselves in extended mileage and they are far more reliable then the lighter duty G614s "RV" tires. Had both. G114's win hands down. G114's are commercial grade tires and perform much, much better and last much longer. Don't look at the price tag when choosing tires.

DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
An 8K MORryde IS (or MORryde's 7, 8.5, 9 or 10K IS) is an extremely well built system. It will actually reinforce the trailer's frame when installed as compared to a "leaf spring" system. It's in another class altogether. There really is a lot more to this then meets the eye; especially if one is going to travel and not just live in the trailer.

Don't be all concerned with the IS's weight. It, and the tires, carry that extra weight, not the frame. As commented before, the concern is primarily the hub weight on each individual wheel. There is a lot more to this and some of it depends on a dual or triple axle setup. Additionally, get the G114 "H" tires regardless. They will pay for themselves in extended mileage and they are far more reliable then the lighter duty G614s "RV" tires. Had both. G114's win hands down. G114's are commercial grade tires and perform much, much better and last much longer. Don't look at the price tag when choosing tires.
We would be doing a 40' so 3 axles. I did a little search to see if I could find the difference between the 7 and 8k but no luck yet. Things like is there better brakes and just what would add 500lbs.
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #18

It's my understanding that the 7K MorRyde IS "axles/spindles" use the electric drum brakes. <Other comments on drum brakes omitted. Except I grew up driving on drum brakes. Ugh!>

The 8K MorRyde spindles utilize Kodiak disc brakes. On our 39' Majestic, I chose to have the upgraded 8K spindles with Michelin Load Rated J (18 ply) tires. I wanted the extra "support" from the suspension. I wanted the extra non-fading braking of disc brakes. I wanted the extra load rating after a blowout on Load Rated H Goodyears on our Elite Suites. (The sidewalls were separating from the tread due to the weight of the ES!) There was a concern that the 8K suspension would be too stiff for the 39' Majestic. I can definitely say that the 3 "axle" 8K spindle Majestic rides smoother than the 2 "axle" 8K spindle Elite Suites. The "insides" are in place upon arrival with the Majestic. No comment on the Elite Suites.

I just got an oil/filter change at 69,500 miles. The service manager asked me when the F450 brake pads were changed. I told him that they were the original disc brake pads. He was amazed! He told me that the F450 brake pads looked almost new! Hmm, must have been a good choice on the Majestic brakes. It's not always how fast you can go, but it is almost always on how fast can you stop.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
We would be doing a 40' so 3 axles. I did a little search to see if I could find the difference between the 7 and 8k but no luck yet. Things like is there better brakes and just what would add 500lbs.
You could call MORryde. The same hubs are used for 7K or 8K. However with 7K its 3,500 lbs per side and with 8K its 4,000lbs per side. ('Need to understand the side load is the actual limit, not the total on an axle.) Brakes are the same and the hubs are the same as are the bearings and spindles whether 7K or 8K. Totally interchangeable . The difference is the size of the support system and the beam arms which is where the 3,500lbs per side comes from. 8K are more beefy, then 7K. (As are 9K more, etc.) But the 7K are not "weak." Just don't get some less expensive spring suspension. You want the MORryde IS.

On a three axle trailer, 40' long, 7K are probably fine IF G114 tires. That should give you at least 24,250+ of GVWR. The GVWR determining factor with 7K will be the tires. With G114's you will have more GVWR on the sticker. Get G114's.

That said, if you get 8K you will get more GVWR with the same frame and the side ratings go up to 4,000lbs a side. On most NH trailers in the 40' range many users will exceed the side hub rating on one wheel before reaching the GVWR of the trailer because in most layouts all the weight is on one side - the kitchen.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #20

Better yet, call the manufacturer of the Summit and the Majestic. That would be New Horizons! Ask Cole, Drew, or even Brian. Ask these questions of them. They are the ones who know.

I can only relate what I read on the New Horizons website, the MorRyde website, the Kodiak website, my experience with DRV, my experience with New Horizons, and my own personal experience. It is my understanding that the 7K spindles utilize electric drum brakes. 8K utilizes disc brakes. On the Kodiak website, you will find a pdf that references parts and specs for all the Kodiak hubs, spindles, disc brakes, etc. I had to use this to obtain bearings, races, and seals for my DRV. I found that there were different part numbers for each of these. Of course, these parts might have been the same with different part numbers. I don't know. It is my understanding that the 7K hubs utilize 16" rims. 8K hubs are for 17.5" rims - in my understanding.

But above all, I would encourage you not to listen to me. No, do not take my postings for any worth. Nor any one else's . . . Unless that poster will give you a notarized and witnessed statement that they know what they are talking about and will monetarily compensate you if their opinion differs from reality. I will not do that. You definitely need to contact the actual company that manufactures the RV of which you are considering. Ask the actual people responsible for the manufacture of the RV and ask them to put their statements in writing, initialed, and signed. And then save those copies.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Better yet, call the manufacturer of the Summit and the Majestic. That would be New Horizons! Ask Cole, Drew, or even Brian. Ask these questions of them. They are the ones who know.

I can only relate what I read on the New Horizons website, the MorRyde website, the Kodiak website, my experience with DRV, my experience with New Horizons, and my own personal experience. It is my understanding that the 7K spindles utilize electric drum brakes. 8K utilizes disc brakes. On the Kodiak website, you will find a pdf that references parts and specs for all the Kodiak hubs, spindles, disc brakes, etc. I had to use this to obtain bearings, races, and seals for my DRV. I found that there were different part numbers for each of these. Of course, these parts might have been the same with different part numbers. I don't know. It is my understanding that the 7K hubs utilize 16" rims. 8K hubs are for 17.5" rims - in my understanding.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron, I don't choose to argue. Calling MORryde gives additional information Drew and Cole may not know immediately. Certainly talk with NH. But I've had 12 years working with MORryde and being there for service, upgrades, modifications and the like plus some 20+ years in the RV and other professional world prior to that. So what I said I have confidence in being true or else I say I'm not sure or "about." There are some variations but close enough to answer the gentleman's question on a forum which is opinions. I also own a NH trailer so I have first hand experience there as well and many miles riding on the MORryde products on both NH and other trailers.

One can have disc Kodiak brakes, 8K by the way, on 7K axles. I have those on my current NH trailer. The hubs are the same. However, bearings and spindle size will be different depending on Nev-R-Lub (which I don't recommend and neither does MORryde or DRV - now) or split bearings, etc. and this will impact the hubs as well as to type, but not rating in most cases.

Your understanding about tire/wheel size and 7K axles is not correct. I have 7K axles, 8K disc brakes and 17.5" G114 tires. In fact, one can take off 16" G614 tires and 16" wheels and replace them directly with 17.5" wheels and 17.5" G114 tires. In fact, with the Big Foot hydraulics one can do this themselves to upgrade. Lift the rig and change them out. Bolt hole patter matches and they don't rub due to tire diameter differences. Not a problem, done all the time.

Regardless, I hope the OP find what he wants and is pleased if he purchases a NH product. But I would speak with MORryde and get some advice from the people who build the suspension product. Doing that may precipitate additional questions for NH. If the OP would like contact info he can PM me and I will provide. If not, that's fine as well.

My opinions based on experience.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #22

Clarifications

Good morning! Just wanted to add some clarification, to what is admittedly a tough to read Standards Sheet.

ALL of our 7K and 8K systems are Drum brakes as Standard. Upgraded to Dexter Disc brakes are options on both. 7K Axles come standard with 16 rims and G-rated tires, but are upgradeable to 17.5 H-Rated tires. Most of our 8K set ups have H-Rated tires STD.

9K IS is the only set up with Kodiak Disc brakes. No Drum brake available on a 9K.

Hope that helps!

HorizonsCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage