Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #1

Basement storage

If anyone happens to have or gets bored and wants something to do can you give me some rough measurements of the basement storage area in a unit in the 40' range ( I imagine the basement size varies from length to length and a 40 is what we are considering).
Just trying to get my head around getting all the stuff we currently have in our motorhome into one single compartment in some sort of organized fashion.
I sit here looking out at my 2 burner Camp Chef with 2 griddles and a BBQ box, our fire pit and chairs and then think about my RC planes, compressor, tool box, 2 sets of golf clubs, water softner ect and I start getting a little twitchy.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Dave & Diane,
That would be a question for Cole. The basement size greatly varies between units ... in the Majestic the basement size is largely dependent upon the length of the bathroom and bedroom (not necessarily the length of the RV). The Summit (which I believe you are looking), will likely also be different than the Majestic (i.e., how the basement is engineered is different, the frame is different (at least on the 2018s) although that may not influence the basement size, etc.).
Old 08-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

For what it is worth, the items you listed would likely easily fit in our basement (i.e., 2014 Majestic 40'). One thing to keep in mind is not only volume (what will fit) but also the weight (i.e., all the stuff you store in the basement and bedroom not only adds to your GVW but almost all of that weight will be directly added to your pin weight), not typically an issue as long as you have an appropriately sized tow vehicle.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #4

Good point, I need to think a little differently. In the motorhome I don't think I can cram enough stuff in to be overweight lol. One of the perks to our current rig I guess.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Good point, I need to think a little differently. In the motorhome I don't think I can cram enough stuff in to be overweight lol. One of the perks to our current rig I guess.
You should have 3,000 lbs. or more available for cargo (after full water), assuming that is what NH is still offering ... the typical issue (if there is one) is with the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and even more likely with the rear axle rating of the tow vehicle. For what it is worth, we have 5,000 lbs. available cargo carrying capacity on our Majestic ... we do not ever plan to use all of that capacity.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedToRv View Post
You should have 3,000 lbs. or more available for cargo (after full water), assuming that is what NH is still offering ... the typical issue (if there is one) is with the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and even more likely with the rear axle rating of the tow vehicle. For what it is worth, we have 5,000 lbs. available cargo carrying capacity on our Majestic ... we do not ever plan to use all of that capacity.
All true, but one additional point. It is actually quite easy to overload an individual wheel while still being under the trailer GVWR. This is especially true of the left (driver's) side front and center wheels on a triple axle. (Its the side with the kitchen and all the weight in many cases.) On 8K axles the actual maximum is 4,000 lbs per side of that 8K axle. Or if a 7K technically 3,500lbs. Its the side weights that many-times go over on a NH trailer. (Totally true comments about the truck RAWR - especially with pickups including the F-450.)

On 7,000 lb axles the wheel hubs are 4,000 lbs, same as the 7K axles. But technically 3,500 lbs is the max on a 7K axle per side.

All that said, in comparison to most RV manufacture's NH usually has the best cargo capacity in the industry.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

According to Tiffin our coach weighed 32,742 dry after being built. At our last weighing we came in at 36,800 which means we carry roughly 4059 lbs. That's with about 25 gallons of fresh water and empty grey & black tanks.
We added 8 solar panels and all the stuff that goes along with that plus upgraded our 6 house batteries and added a traveler sat antenna in addition to the dome that was already on top.
So knowing that we plan to add solar and upgrade the batteries on the 5th wheel we no doubt will be pushing the numbers.
We have specked out the 7K M/R and because we are looking at a Summit (at this point) we will come in lighter than a Majestic by not having the fiberglass roof and being a little shorter height wise. And we won't be doing granite.
There is no doubt in my mind that because we don't need to worry about weight now that we have some wasted weight onboard, but not a whole bunch.
And we really really want to stay with nothing more than a Ram 3500.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #8

HDRider

We just took delivery of a 39FB4S Summit in June. Our CCC is 3569 LBS. If you need storage it's worth taking a look at this floor plan. The area above the 1/2 bath is all storage and is accessible from either the bedroom or kitchen.
My weights also included the MR IS suspension with disks, 4 6 volt batteries, and the Washer/dryer.
Here is a link to my video.

My question is when was the last time you had spring cleaning in the coach. That's a lot of weight _.

mjdenn
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Nice rig. Question. When you weighed to figure out the remaining cargo capacity was your fresh water full?
As far as spring cleaning it's obvious that we need to do it again lol. But in all seriousness a part of that is our solar system and upgraded battery bank
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Here are my weights from NH at pickup.

GVWR 22,750
Minus UVW 18,420
Minus Fresh Water 681
Minus Propane 80
CCC 3,569

To be safe I'd subtract an additional 200 LBS. from the CCC number. We brought a piece of furniture with us and it was not in the trailer when it was weighed.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Here are my weights from NH at pickup.

GVWR 22,750
Minus UVW 18,420
Minus Fresh Water 681
Minus Propane 80
CCC 3,569

To be safe I'd subtract an additional 200 LBS. from the CCC number. We brought a piece of furniture with us and it was not in the trailer when it was weighed.
Thanks for that, did you do 7K axles and H rated tires?
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #12

We have 3 7,000 LB axles.
Tires are Good Year G614 load range G 3750 LBS @ 105 PSI. The
G114's and 8K axles should also be available as an option.
Both add weight and cost. Both will subtract from your carrying capacity. The tires and wheels can always be added later. I'd just verify wheel stud size with NH to ensure that they don't need to be changed.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #13

A point of clarification, the 8k axles do add weight (roughly 500lbs for 3 axles, compared to MORryde 7k axles), but they also can create more CCC (on the Majestic that is the case, a question for Cole on the 2018 or later Summits, given the lighter frame). Personally, I would only consider H rated tires (i.e., G114) ... too many issues with G rated tires. A choice.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedToRv View Post
Point of clarification, the 8k axles do add weight (roughly 500lbs for 3 axles, compared to MORryde 7k axles), but they also create more CCC. Personally, I would only consider H rated tires (i.e., G114) ... too many issues with G rated tires. A choice.
n

Yup, we had H rated tires specified from the get go. That was cut and dry with me. And even though I realize by going to 8K axles we will be limited to what the truck can handle at least I have options without the 5th wheel being the weak link if I want to load it up.
I may be thinking about this in the wrong way but that's what MY mind is saying.

Tags
storage