RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #1

Dish

Did any of you go with Dish Network during your build? If so Did you contact anyone particular for a receiver like maybe a local guy that hooked everything up before you ever left NH?

Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150
40' New Horizon 5th wheel on order
https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

We chose the Dish Traveller satellite option. We already had a Wally receiver and Austin at NH hooked everything up for us.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

We had the Dish traveller installed at manufacture. We have the Hopper receiver and it all works very well. Not sure if there is a better receiver now or not, but we're very happy with the setup.

The connection is very simple, just one cable to connect from the traveller to the receiver (which NH build in to the trailer), and an HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Press the Power button on the Traveller and it finds the satellites for you. You really don't need a tech to set it up for you. Try it on your own and if you really have trouble for some reason, ask for help then.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 AM   #4

Thanks, I was thinking maybe there was some local Dish guy in the Junction City area that was a go to. Guess I'll just order the Wally from Dish and have it shipped to NH.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #5

Directv dropped shipped me 3 receivers to Yuma.......told them this was my winter home, and Vancouver was my summer home, and I was able to set my stuff up on my own, so no teck needed.....never mentioned RV....just use street address of where you are....also told them not to change billing address...
Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are there any benefits of one dish over the other, Direct TV Winegard HD Auto Satellite vs. Dish TV Winegard HD Auto Satellite? Haven't used either of these, in home or coach so I don't know. As we're moving towards the FT'ing lifestyle, we're giving options like this a serious thought.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While we're at asking questions, are you installing a WeBoost Antennae or Winegard Connect T 2.0? Which would be a better choice. Asking as we have no experience with either of these devices.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Dish

We had Direct TV for a number of years but went with Dish for the trailer. This was our thinking. The Hopper 3 is superior product compared to the Genie. More tuners, more storage, and COMMERCIAL SKIPPING . The other benefit with Dish is that if you are on a RV only plan you can change your locals with the Dish app. I've seen numerous complaints with DTV in this regard. Will activate next weekend so we will see.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the comments. After a couple calls to Dish and being told I had to use a Wally I did get a number from Cole for a local guy and after a short chat with him we will be all set up with a Hopper 3 a couple Joey's.
The local tech will pop up to the NH factory and get us running and run us through the system.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

Dish does not want to warranty Hoppers in RV's which is why you were pointed to a Wally. Wineguard now makes a kit to convert the travler so that you only need a single line down. The other way to wire the system is to use a DPH42 switch. It's critical that you pull the plug prior to traveling. This parks the heads in the hard drive.

Enjoy
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Dish does not want to warranty Hoppers in RV's which is why you were pointed to a Wally. Wineguard now makes a kit to convert the travler so that you only need a single line down. The other way to wire the system is to use a DPH42 switch. It's critical that you pull the plug prior to traveling. This parks the heads in the hard drive.

Enjoy
One more thing to remember on travel day. I think I will put that on Diane's list LOL!!

Tags
dish