Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

Fifth Wheel Cameras

We are planning on side cameras and a rear camera on the NH. However, after thinking about it and pulling a TT for the past week, I'm wondering if there really is any point to the side cameras.

I should be able to see down both sides in my 2017 F450 mirrors plus I have the blind spot system which can be extended to the end of the trailer. So are the side cameras a waste or am I missing something? BTW, if towing a NH was as consistently full of "adventure" (left on side of road in the middle of nowhere at night last Wednesday and again Friday with cracked rims that let the air out of the China bombs...) as the TT was last week, I would take up something different and forget any traveling.

Any info on the side cameras in particular would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Skip
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

I think you have a good handle on side camera benefits. FWIW, there are wireless BU camera systems that transmit 60', and wired systems with a factory disconnect near the umbilical cord plug.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Shill: If have 4 cameras, rear, sides, and one on top looking forward. I use the rear all the time, the front one regularly to watch for trees that are too low, and the side ones rarely. The sides are useful, but I really only use them to help parking on the blind side.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Shill

BLIS is restricted to a 33' trailer so I don't think it will work for you. Ford Ultimate at it's best again.
Glad you had a good visit to the factory.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #5

mjdenn.....33' BLIS...

Burrington.....I hadn't thought about the blind side backing up or the value of a forward view. Very good insights. So the forward view camera gives you a view that allows you to avoid low hanging tree limbs like maybe driving through a campground? I have the Ford camera that works under 3 mph on the front of the truck but I don't think it will do much good for obstructions that may impact toward the top of the rv. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #6

I put side views on mine and you don't really need them........till you do. On the blind side situation they make all the difference in the world, and cut the parking time and frustration in half, if not more. If I had it to do over again, I would.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

Our GM dealer offered a camera package on our new truck that included side cameras and rear camera for a camper that would view on the in dash screen. It wasn't cheap at $1400 and we already had a wired rear camera system to switch over, so it wasn't for us. Ford might have a camera package.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #8

Camera

Ford does offer a camera system for the back of the trailer but they cripple the system when driving. I have a third party add on that modifies this behavior but it might not be for everyone.
We have the Ford mirrors that extend when towing and love them. We only use the cameras when parking.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Ford does offer a camera system for the back of the trailer but they cripple the system when driving. I have a third party add on that modifies this behavior but it might not be for everyone.
We have the Ford mirrors that extend when towing and love them. We only use the cameras when parking.

mjdenn.....You don't find the rear camera useful at highway speed? The one thing that is annoying to me when towing is when a vehicle gets right up behind me and I don't know they are there. Then if I begin to change lanes, they shoot out from behind....... Putting turn signal on and waiting a couple seconds helps, but it would still be nice to know when a vehicle is following too closely. As I'm sure everyone has noticed, truckers frequently have a message on the back of their truck indicating that if you are too close to see their mirrors, they can't see you. I may be over-thinking this issue.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

The biggest benefit of the rear camera is to take the place of the rear view mirror. It also works to watch the bikes on the rear bumper. I still use the wife for a look out while backing up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

I agree that there is some benefit in your scenario. But most of these rear cameras have wide fields of view and distort your perspective on distance.
For driving on the highway a normal field would be a great help. For parking a wide field of view is desirable. Anyone know of a camera with a zoom?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #12

Look what I found

Went to Hershey to window shop. Found this rear camera which I think is a great solution.

https://www.innotechrv.com/Dual_Rear...4_8403947.aspx

The cameras have a field of view of 120°/45° and are switchable from the cab.

NH had a very nice Summit 37IKS.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Went to Hershey to window shop. Found this rear camera which I think is a great solution.

https://www.innotechrv.com/Dual_Rear...4_8403947.aspx

The cameras have a field of view of 120°/45° and are switchable from the cab.

NH had a very nice Summit 37IKS.
So that's a wired system apparently. I didn't see anything about how it's controlled. Wonder if it's compatible with other systems? The longer lens would be great for highway safety.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shill View Post
So that's a wired system apparently. I didn't see anything about how it's controlled. Wonder if it's compatible with other systems? The longer lens would be great for highway safety.
Yes its wired. Switchable from the monitor.

Tags
camera, fifth wheel