Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
I am a propane guy from way back and I am setting up a generator on my truck. I am finding prices for propane around $3.80 per gallon. House fuel in my area is $1.35 but to pump it into tank $3.80. Pretty good profit. The ideal setup would be aqua hot and a diesel generator if money was no object. I think if you are used to floor heat and aqua hot you will be disappointed with furnaces for heat.
I don't see where Aqua-Hot is an option with New Horizons. Hmm, NH does not offer heated floors OR Aqua-hot, 2 things that we like. So why the heck are we thinking 5th wheel LOL!!!
Just kidding, if we were not going to sit for longer periods we wouldn't but I just can't stand the thought of the engine sitting for 3 to 5 months at a time. But we do like our motorhome, in fact I thought about taking our floorplan to NH and say, duplicate it in a 5th wheel, well close LOL!!
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Again, as I stated before . . . One should make their own decisions. For our use, the propane generator is our best solution. It may not be for you. I have only had to pull any of our three fifth wheels through a truck stop only about 6 times, and that was for air for the fifth wheel tires in a pinch. (Leaking tire valves.) We do not boondock. The one time we had to use our genny all night was in a DRV when the genny was under the bedroom! I will repeat, propane is the cleanest running fuel, but that is along with CNG and hydrogen. (I should also say, we have a 45 gallon diesel tank in the F450 bed with auto-fill. I don't like pulling any fiver through the truck pumps.)

Now, if I boondocked a lot, I might want a diesel generator as the contained heat value of diesel is the best compared to gasoline and propane. Propane is the least heat value. But we don't. This "argument" is based on different needs. My "pro-propane" view is based on what I need. One must make their own decisions based upon their own needs.

I will say that I have used the Onan Energy Command 30 on the previous two fivers. Based on that experience, I chose not to have one installed on the Majestic.

Now, if one "needs" power, I know one person who has outfitted their 45' fiver with solar panels, AGM batteries, and even a Chevy Volt battery! They can run their AC all night only on the Chevy Volt battery and inverter!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron,
You have more experience in pulling 5vers. Are you not concerned about your height when pulling into typical gas stations? My new Majestic is just shy of 13' when attached to my pickup (satellite closed of course). I've seen a few youtube mishap videos of 5vers and gas station overheads.
I've been checking the gas station overheads for height signs, so far haven't seen one.
What's been your experience?

Best regards,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	204473  
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #17

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
Ron,
You have more experience in pulling 5vers. Are you not concerned about your height when pulling into typical gas stations? My new Majestic is just shy of 13' when attached to my pickup (satellite closed of course). I've seen a few youtube mishap videos of 5vers and gas station overheads.
I've been checking the gas station overheads for height signs, so far haven't seen one.

Best regards,
Ron
Ron -

I don't pull the fiver into typical gas stations. I had an ATTA tool box/diesel tank installed in the bed of the F450. The tool box is about 9" deep. I carry non-potable water hoses, extra sewer hoses, tire chains, and mud boots in it. (Wouldn't someone be surprised if they broke in?) The diesel tank is 45 gallons and has an automatic pump that transfers diesel to the truck tank when the tank is 3/4 ans stops when it reaches 7/8. So, I can fill the truck up at any station that carries diesel before hitching up.

The only times I have pulled any of the 3 fivers we have had through a truck station island is when I needed air in the RV tires. Most of those times were in the past year with our Elite Suites. I finally figured out that the nut on the stems needed to be tightened! Yes, I do have a small air compressor, but these were times on the road that I noticed low tires.

I have seldom seen any height signs on gas stations. I have seen some, but they are extremely rare. It's only my opinion, but I would use truck islands long before using car islands at gas stations. The only "problem" with that solution is: Truck islands have high pressure diesel pumps, the flow is much faster than diesel pumps at car islands. So if you are filling your truck, an external diesel tank, or the diesel tank on the NH, you need to use some caution and listen to the sounds of tank filling. The tanks we have can certainly burb back a lot compared to a 100 gallon saddle tank!

Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

We are big fans of solar so I know we would be adding it as well as a larger battery bank. I can see plusses for both types of gen. If we boondocked like we did the first few years it would be a easy choice but we don't and I'm not sure we ever will. I would guess we will probably boondock maybe 5 weeks a year from here on.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Ron,

Best regards,
Ron
Very nice looking rig Ron, can I ask how long it is and how much it weighs?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #20

Having some 130,000+ miles of RV 5er towing experience, ignoring the professional work on which to base the opinion, most with the NH, one should consider an aux fuel tank and avoid the "gas station" experience with the NH. I've quit doing that to avoid potential accidents, not from the overhang, we're 13' 3", but the sometimes very tight quarters. As I say to my wife, I'm tired of impressing myself maneuvering in extremely tight situations when I don't have to.

FWIW, we've found the aux tank just makes that need go away (at least with an LP generator.) Don't even have to go to a truck stop where sometimes its rather dirty with spilled #2 diesel to walk in for me and her just to get fuel. I most always fill up without the NH and with the aux tank can do so at our leisure and most likely at a station where we save a few dollars as a small bonus. Gas Buddy works pretty well.

All this is opinion and style but after having been "pinned in" I find it to be a good idea and I just don't have to work so hard.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
Having some 130,000+ miles of RV 5er towing experience, ignoring the professional work on which to base the opinion, most with the NH, one should consider an aux fuel tank and avoid the "gas station" experience with the NH. I've quit doing that to avoid potential accidents, not from the overhang, we're 13' 3", but the sometimes very tight quarters. As I say to my wife, I'm tired of impressing myself maneuvering in extremely tight situations when I don't have to.

FWIW, we've found the aux tank just makes that need go away (at least with an LP generator.) Don't even have to go to a truck stop where sometimes its rather dirty with spilled #2 diesel to walk in for me and her just to get fuel. I most always fill up without the NH and with the aux tank can do so at our leisure and most likely at a station where we save a few dollars as a small bonus. Gas Buddy works pretty well.

All this is opinion and style but after having been "pinned in" I find it to be a good idea and I just don't have to work so hard.
A aux tank is a great idea for sure but for us our average travel day is normally well under 200 miles and I can count on 1 hand how many times we have only spent 1 night in a spot over the last 5 1/2 years on the road so getting fuel will almost always be with the truck by itself when it comes 5th wheel time.
As far as with our motorhome even though 42' or 63' with our toad hooked up I still prefer the smaller stations compared to truck stops. Don't know why but I do. Part of it is that we don't travel freeways very often and the smaller stations are what we come across more often. But again because we travel such short days I can scout out good spots for fuel while touring around with the toad.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
We are big fans of solar so I know we would be adding it as well as a larger battery bank. I can see plusses for both types of gen. If we boondocked like we did the first few years it would be a easy choice but we don't and I'm not sure we ever will. I would guess we will probably boondock maybe 5 weeks a year from here on.
Dave:

And there you have our reason for the LP generator choice. We definitely want a generator big enough to run both AC's etc. if required and while we enjoy boondocking very much, in "perfect" weather, we just don't put enough hours on the generator to warrant, for us, the extra issues in a 5er with a diesel unit.

You notice I indicate a number of delimiters in that LP decision. "It depends." There are few absolutes in this RV game and I think it is good to kick around the various viewpoints and experiences before building a new rig to suit one's particular style. NH can build almost anything one desires within reason. We're still pleased with our choices. Best to get what is best for your application.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks!
It's only 34' if you can believe and weighs 17,600 dry
Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Thanks!
It's only 34' if you can believe and weighs 17,600 dry
Hmm, looks longer in the picture. 17,000lbs, yup,,, it's corn fed.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #25

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry to take so long to answer. It is a 39' unit. Delivered weight was 20,500 pounds. Fully loaded weight could be as high as 25,000. Right now, the weight is about 23,750. Note: My own paranoia - I had 8000# MorRyde spindles installed with 17.5" rims. That means there are larger disc brakes too!

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator