Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Generator

Are most of you New Horizon guys opting for the gen mounted within the frame in the belly?
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Are most of you New Horizon guys opting for the gen mounted within the frame in the belly?
HDrider -

Yes, we did. It puts the gen weight on the MorRide suspension rather than the pin. It puts the gen noise away from the bedroom. And finally, it allows the gen exhaust to be run out the back and well away from the bedroom.

Just my 2 cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Yes and I agree with all the points above.
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

That all makes perfect sense. Now, did you and do most go with diesel, gas or propane gen?
When it comes time we will probably go induction cooktop and residential refer and solar on top.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

We have the generator behind the rear axle and strongly recommend it. Better weight distribution and it frees an enormous amount of space up front. Believe it or not we’ve found, for whatever reason, it is quieter in the rear then in the front. We’ve had both front and rear mounted units and this is true even in the living area not just the bed room. That’s our experience.

For me there is adequate space to get under the rig to change the oil. But naturally this is dependent on your specific rig’s ground clearance.

Unless one is going to use the generator a great deal I strongly recommend LP. With an LP generator it can sit for months and will start every time. Less overall maintenance. Not so with gas or diesel. That said, LP uses a bit more fuel. It’s a choice but that choice is dependent on frequency of use, IMO. A 5th wheel is different than a motorhome where the primary fuel is diesel, that fuel is always fresh and the generator is used a great deal during road travel. Not so in a 5er. Naturally a gas or diesel unit requires more weight to carry the extra fuel beyond the LP assuming you will have any LP on board with your rig.

We’ve had the same LP generator for over 12 years – Onan 5500 - moved it into my NH from my previous rig and it’s still starts first time without issues.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

LP for me.
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
DTVGuy is right on target! Our propane Onan 5500 (moved from our DRV, now 6 years old) fires up each and every time! But as he said, it depends.

We almost always camp in campgrounds with full hookups. (Reasons omitted.) We do full-time. There have been some sporadic times we have used the genny while camped. However, most times, we use our gen when rolling down the road to run the A/C during hot weather to keep the inside of the RV cool (usually 75F) during transit. However, there was the one night when the regional transmission line was cut, and we ran our gen all night in our DRV. It was in the front. Probably would have been better to open all windows and run the Fantastic fan (low of 87F). Noise was horrible! Wish we had the NH then!

As DTVGuy said, it depends upon your needs. Propane is extremely clean. With 80 pounds of propane on board, one could pretty much survive 2 days of 100+ temps with full tanks. Propane allows cleaner oil, less carbon build-up on cylinders and valves, and emissions are CO2 and H2O. Besides, propane generators are the "quietest".

With diesel, one has the additional diesel tank . . . so how do you put diesel in that tank? Diesel is a "heavy" fuel, more like oil than gasoline. So if you spill any, it is like an oil leak down the side of the RV. It is heavier than propane, so how much of a tank do you want. It also adds the fact that you are carrying an extra tank of fuel in the RV. (Think about that.) And diesel gennys are loud!

Gasoline gennys are the in-between. Quieter than diesel, but not as quiet as propane. Gasoline gennys are more likely to produce CO and other obnoxious gases. Again, there's that extra fuel tank.

But as said, it depends upon one's needs. However, I will say, on a New Horizons, one can get a 100# propane tank like a Class A with two 40# propane bottles. With all the safety valves, etc., it seems to me propane is a better solution than diesel or gasoline with a plastic tank.

One should make their own decisions.

Just my 2 cents,
Ron
Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

Great points. We have been fulltime in a motor home going on 6 years and the first few weeks boondocked a lot, not as much the last couple years, maybe 7 or 8 weeks tops and we rely heavily on our solar. We don't boondocked on purpose when it gets hot.
Our current coach is all electric and we did that to get away from propane and it flammable nature so I would need to get beyond that again. May be a stupid thing but that's just me. In fact if NH had a diesel water heater and heating option I might be a candidate lol, but they do not.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
Our current coach is all electric and we did that to get away from propane and it flammable nature so I would need to get beyond that again. May be a stupid thing but that's just me. In fact if NH had a diesel water heater and heating option I might be a candidate lol, but they do not.
I respect your concern for the flammable nature of LP but once its in the rig for hot water and heat the LP generator becomes a rather mute point as naturally the generator has no open flame.

We've been using LP in RV's since the mid-1970's without issue so I guess our comfort level is pretty high just from experience alone. But LP for some occasional boondocking does well for us as does the LP generator and, believe it or not, an LP / electric fridge. Just so simplifies the energy needs when coupled with solar and a reasonable sized battery bank. All naturally, "a choice" based on one's specific plans for the rig and life style. But I would take Ron's comments above to heart in making your choice. He is correct.

Safe travels,
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #10

Thanks again for all the input, LP makes sense, especially with LP already onboard as mentioned for the heating and hot water. And because we don't boondock nearly as much as we once did. Probably will not do the extra 100# tank however.
No doubt for us we will go with the residential refer and a induction cooktop because we like the extra space in the refer and well, we just like the induction cooktop LOL.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

I disagree with most of the pro-propane posts. I just picked up my Majestic 2 weeks ago with an 8kw diesel underbelly and a 30-gallon tank. Nobody is buying a New Horizons because they're concerned about weight. And you don't have to keep the tank full for occasional use.
Refilling an installed propane tank is not so easy when traveling. I always use truck stops to refuel my truck, so, if needed I can add diesel to the generator tank at the same time; super easy and convenient.
My diesel generator is so quiet, that when starting it for the first time during orientation, we had to go outside to make sure it was running!
The AC units on low make more noise.
I boondocked for one hot night on the way home with gen running all night; amazing!
Plus, it sips fuel. I still haven't used a 1/4 tank.
For me, it was the smartest move. Of course, it's a free country, you have the right to be wrong.

I highly recommend getting the Magnum converter/inverter with the AGS (Auto gen start) and BMK (battery management kit) options. This way you can program your gen to start based on battery level (SOC), voltage or the RV's interior temperature.

Best of luck,
Ron
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
I disagree with most of the pro-propane posts. I just picked up my Majestic 2 weeks ago with an 8kw diesel underbelly and a 30-gallon tank. Nobody is buying a New Horizons because they're concerned about weight. And you don't have to keep the tank full for occasional use.
Refilling an installed propane tank is not so easy when traveling. I always use truck stops to refuel my truck, so, if needed I can add diesel to the generator tank at the same time; super easy and convenient.
My diesel generator is so quiet, that when starting it for the first time during orientation, we had to go outside to make sure it was running!
The AC units on low make more noise.
I boondocked for one hot night on the way home with gen running all night; amazing!
Plus, it sips fuel. I still haven't used a 1/4 tank.
For me, it was the smartest move. Of course, it's a free country, you have the right to be wrong.

I highly recommend getting the Magnum converter/inverter with the AGS (Auto gen start) and BMK (battery management kit) options. This way you can program your gen to start based on battery level (SOC), voltage or the RV's interior temperature.

Best of luck,
Ron
Thanks for your input and I agree, having a AGS will be a must have.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Again, as I stated before . . . One should make their own decisions. For our use, the propane generator is our best solution. It may not be for you. I have only had to pull any of our three fifth wheels through a truck stop only about 6 times, and that was for air for the fifth wheel tires in a pinch. (Leaking tire valves.) We do not boondock. The one time we had to use our genny all night was in a DRV when the genny was under the bedroom! I will repeat, propane is the cleanest running fuel, but that is along with CNG and hydrogen. (I should also say, we have a 45 gallon diesel tank in the F450 bed with auto-fill. I don't like pulling any fiver through the truck pumps.)

Now, if I boondocked a lot, I might want a diesel generator as the contained heat value of diesel is the best compared to gasoline and propane. Propane is the least heat value. But we don't. This "argument" is based on different needs. My "pro-propane" view is based on what I need. One must make their own decisions based upon their own needs.

I will say that I have used the Onan Energy Command 30 on the previous two fivers. Based on that experience, I chose not to have one installed on the Majestic.

Now, if one "needs" power, I know one person who has outfitted their 45' fiver with solar panels, AGM batteries, and even a Chevy Volt battery! They can run their AC all night only on the Chevy Volt battery and inverter!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #14

I am a propane guy from way back and I am setting up a generator on my truck. I am finding prices for propane around $3.80 per gallon. House fuel in my area is $1.35 but to pump it into tank $3.80. Pretty good profit. The ideal setup would be aqua hot and a diesel generator if money was no object. I think if you are used to floor heat and aqua hot you will be disappointed with furnaces for heat.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator