Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

Hardwood in slides

How May of you opted for hardwood in the slides instead of carpet? Any issues, advantages, disadvantages?
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Hardwood slides here. The only -ive is that you have to use floor protector strips when pulling the slides in; takes only 60 seconds, and you get used to it. Not having dirty carpets; priceless
Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn77 View Post
Hardwood slides here. The only -ive is that you have to use floor protector strips when pulling the slides in; takes only 60 seconds, and you get used to it. Not having dirty carpets; priceless
Yes, keeping up on the carpet is a pain in the rear. Even though we like how carpet softens the area I think all hardwood is the way to go.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #4

I am curious why the floor strips w wood slide floor. The slide floor goes over the main floor when closed up so how is it different that the carpeted slide? The strips did nothing to help my floor stay free of marks. I have gouges and marks. Mine is vinyl planks w carpet slides. I will get this handled at my 2 year warranty visit. At least I hope so.
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
In our DRV, we had carpet (not the Louisiana Cut). The slide rollers left tracks on both the carpet and the tile. One time, a Chihuahua got mad while we were gone and tore up the rounded corner of the slide carpet. That was a PITB to fix! We have a carpet cleaner and a SpotBot. I cleaned the carpets once or twice a year and was constantly using the SpotBot. But remember, "accidents" penetrate the carpet and go into the foam underneath.

We have full hickory floors and love them! The Chihuahuas are now driven to the peepee pads we leave down.

I asked Cole for an extra pair of nylon strips. Our "leaving" routine in the morning means getting everything else ready, Chihuahuas in the truck, then very last thing is sweeping the floors with a Shark only on suction. Once that is complete, we tilt the slides in slightly and lay 4 strips down for each side. Two are beneath each side of the refrigerator. We have been extremely pleased with this practice. In fact, it takes less time to prep the NH for travel than it did the DRV.

When in parks with "gravel" that is classified as the size of small pebbles, large sand, and down (again, a geology reference), it is VERY important to clean the floors before bringing the slides in.

Yes, we have had a few scratches. However, with the wood floors, one just puts some touch-up stain (like a Magic Marker) on the scratch, leave for 15 seconds or so, then wipe. It disappears! The hickory floor is already stressed, so any scratches just become part of the "character".

We have not noticed any inside sound attenuation difference between the NH wood floors and the DRV carpet floors.

If you clean the floors before putting the strips down, get rid of those extra large sand size particles, then the nylon strips will keep your slide bottoms from scratching. I would encourage everyone to get an extra pair of nylon strips to have 4 on each main slide.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #6

Ron,

During my pickup orientation with Harrold, he never mentioned retracting the slides a little before setting the plastic strips. But I see how that would make a lot of sense after seeing how the slide initially tilts upward. Thanks for your 2 cents

Ron F.