Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

Hookup Grill to Propane Connection

We've got the low pressure propane quick disconnect on the curb side of our rig…but all the grills I can find have a regulator built into the control knob. I know that I can just get a rubber hose to connect it…but then I would end up with 2 regulators in the system…one on the connection to the rig propane bottles and a second downstream of the hose to the grill immediately before the grill control knob.

The propane experts tell me that having 2 regulators is a no go…which means I would need to get our Weber Q120 modified to remove the regulator from the grill and just use a hose with a quick disconnect on each end to connect things.

Unfortunately, all of the grill and propane places I've contacted to see about getting this mod done…have looked at me like I was nuts.

Has anybody actually done this and if so what key words and tricky phrases do I need to use with them? Conversely…is the word I've got about not using 2 regulators in series wrong? Do I just need to give up on using the quick disconnect connection and get the Weber sold extension hose and use a standard 10 pound propane bottle instead?

I know that I can get a quick disconnect to hose to adapter to screw into the grill end (the one with has a threaded connection identical to the one on the small propane bottle you normally hook up to the grill)…but am concerned about the double regulator issue.

Anybody smart about this?

Thanks.
Neil Laubenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon.com: extend a stay propane kit

I use this Extend a Stay as many do, it fits before your regulator and works great. I realize, if I understand correctly, that it is not exactly what you want but it is a very popular solution to the problem and I offer it for your consideration.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Hi Neal,

I had the same issue with my Weber Q100. You have to first remove the regulator from your BBQ. Thats easy to do. My challenge was finding the correct replacement fittings. I got the fittings and tape from Home Depot and the hose from Amazon. It worked perfectly.

1. Watts A-176 Coupling 3/8" Flare Z 3/8" FIP (stock number 17000176)
2. Watts LFA-776 3/8 in MIP X 1/8 in FIP (stock number 17700273)

Get some yellow PROPANE thread tape.

Purchase a propane hose (with one Male quick-release installed) from Amazon: Camp Chef RV Connection Hose, $33.49

At this point, you're home free.

Good luck,

Jeff
etisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #4

>>I use this Extend a Stay as many do

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I can't get the grill modified…but would rather use the low pressure connection if I can since it's on the right side of the coach and I already paid extra to have it installed.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

>>
I had the same issue with my Weber Q100. You have to first remove the regulator from your BBQ. Thats easy to do. My challenge was finding the correct replacement fittings. I got the fittings and tape from Home Depot and the hose from Amazon. It worked perfectly.
<<

Thanks, it looks like the regulator just screws off once you take the mounting screws out of the bracket; so I'll get the parts and rebuilt it myself.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also use the extend a stay and love it. I got the kit with a hose that connects directly to the grill where you would connect the propane canister. No mods needed to the grill. Love not having to carry extra propane with me.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by etisdude View Post
Hi Neal,

1. Watts A-176 Coupling 3/8" Flare Z 3/8" FIP (stock number 17000176)
2. Watts LFA-776 3/8 in MIP X 1/8 in FIP (stock number 17700273)

Get some yellow PROPANE thread tape.

Purchase a propane hose (with one Male quick-release installed) from Amazon: Camp Chef RV Connection Hose, $33.49

At this point, you're home free.

Good luck,

Jeff

Ditto, worked for me. I had the salesman at the propane shop make the mod for me.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Propane grill question

Hello Neil:

I'm not sure what the model number of our Weber grill is, but it is one of those little tabletop models.

I had a propane company make up a hose that just attaches to one of our propane tanks. I left the existing regulator on the grill so I do have two regulators; one on the grill and the other which controls the pressure on the 2-way valve on the camper. I've never had any problem having 2 regulators.

We are not in our camper right now so I can't send you a picture of the hose, but we will be back at the camper around January 20th or so.

The propane company I dealt with knew exactly what I wanted. One end of the hose screws onto one of my 30# propane tanks and the other end goes into the regulator on the grill.

I think the hose is about 15 feet long so I can put the grill on a picnic table which is always on the side of our camper where the propane tanks are located.

Two nice things about our setup is that there is no modification needed in the propane compartment and you can continue to use your existing regulator in case you want to use a small propane bottle sometime.

If you want a picture just let me know and I will send one when we get back to our camper after January 20th.

Tim
Tim & Carolyn #563
tpelzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Hi Neil and All,
As a slightly different approach I offer our solution. We fabricated a low pressure hose with compatible fittings to go from the quick lp disconnect on the coach to a two burner stove top. The stove didn't have a regulator built into it, rather the regulator was part of the original camp stove detachable hose. We wanted to simultaneously cook with a grill so we decided to stick with the 1 lb bottles and just refill them ourself. We purchased an $8 fitting that goes between a 20 lb bottles and a 1 lb bottle. We initially intended to run both appliances from the quick disconnect, but the hose design started to become too cumbersome and expensive with valves and hose that we decided to split them up as described. This does requires us to carry a 20 lb lp bottle, but we figure a little extra lp can be a good thing in the field.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #10

Thanks Tim; I considered just doing what you've done; unhook one of the tanks (which takes the rig regulator out of the circuit) and hooking a hose from the tank to the grill. This is essentially the same as what the Extend a Stay does. I wanted to try and use our low pressure connection on the curb side so I ended up doing what Jeff suggested; got the couple of adapters from Home Depot and ordered the hose from Amazon. I found another hose on Amazon that had a quick disconnect on each end instead of the 3/8" flare connector on the hose that Jeff recommended and i ended up with). However, using this one required a male quick disconnect on the grill end…and while the plumbing store guy and I figured out a way to do this, I decided that 3 gender changer adapters, a short pipe, and then the male quick disconnect made just way too long of an adapter so I'm just doing what Jeff did. I will keep the regulator in the toolbox and can always pop it back on if I need it…but since I don't normally keep the small gas canisters around it will likely never get used. I had about decided that if I couldn't get the low pressure connection figured out i would just get the Weber 6 foot hose and carry a standard 10 (or 15, can't remember which) pound grill tank like one would have at home.

Are ya'll coming to the rally in September? Marne is working hard on getting things ready to go and Connie is putting together an Amana Things to Do list for him.

For Pullin' Chocks…I didn't realize that you could refill the 1 pound small bottles from a large tank but probably wouldn't have done that even if I knew about it, the 15 pound tank and short Weber accessory hose would be better than that for our needs.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
KIX

By the way, no one answered your question about double low pressure regulators. You got good info as it will not work. In your application the reason is that the second regulator in a double regulator attempt is receiving a much reduced pressure while it is designed to receive high pressure and regulate it to a lower pressure.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #12

Thanks Kix, I saw another post somewhere that confirmed that…not enough pressure on the input of the second regulator to move it's internals around.

Tags
propane