Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #1

Jacks

I have noticed that a few 5th wheel brands use a 6 point jack system but NH uses only 4. It sort of surprises me with NH being the bigger badder of the group. We have not done a tour yet to ask but I wonder why.

Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

Ok, after a little research I guess the answer is because of the frame and I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. We only have 4 jacks in the class A we now fulltime in.

Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Once you see the strength of our frame and walk into a New Horizons, you'll understand why we don't need 6 jacks to stabilize our coach.

The 6 jack system was actually introduced by DRV about 11 or 12 years ago because they use a Lippert frame and couldn't get the bounce out of their units when parked. Since a large percentage of coaches built today are on Lippert frames, they all have implemented the 6 jack system. Of course, in sales the best way to handle a "negative" is to turn it into a "Positive", so they began marketing how great a 6 jack system is.

I've always maintained that it's not about how much hardware we can put on the ground. It's about taking the bounce out. You certainly won't feel any bounce in a New Horizons.

More jacks = more weight - more price - more maintenance.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Bryan. If all goes well when we get to the Tiffin plant in a couple days for a couple warrantee items to be taken care of we hope to make a run up to your plant to have a look first hand.
We will be tough customers however LOL!!! Just kidding.
I imagine you are at the show, have fun!!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
We are using the Hershey to launch our newly redesigned Summit line-up. Since the S37IK is the only unit we took this year, Drew and Cole went to the show and I'm staying back to see what confusion and chaos I can manage to stir up here while they are gone....

From early reports the Summit is showing very well.

Bryan
Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #6

"Six jacks" markets better than "four", but look at them. The 6 jack system is just an electric motor on a hollow aluminum screw jack. In fact Lippert advertises them as "Lightweight aluminum jacks". The 4 jack Big Foot system that NH uses are individual hydraulic pumps and solid steel hydraulic cylinders. The lippert system is rated at 5,000 lbs per jack, whereas the Big Foot is rated at 18,000 lbs per jack. The Big Foot can lift my NH 23,500 lb trailer right off the ground without even breaking a sweat. It will level with all 6 tires off the ground and still be stable. The lippert system still relies on the tires for stability.

Don't believe the marketing that says 6 is better than 4...
Old 09-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
"Six jacks" markets better than "four", but look at them. The 6 jack system is just an electric motor on a hollow aluminum screw jack. In fact Lippert advertises them as "Lightweight aluminum jacks". The 4 jack Big Foot system that NH uses are individual hydraulic pumps and solid steel hydraulic cylinders. The lippert system is rated at 5,000 lbs per jack, whereas the Big Foot is rated at 18,000 lbs per jack. The Big Foot can lift my NH 23,500 lb trailer right off the ground without even breaking a sweat. It will level with all 6 tires off the ground and still be stable. The lippert system still relies on the tires for stability.

Don't believe the marketing that says 6 is better than 4...
On our DRV we have the Lippert 6 Hydraulic levelers. Front landing gear legs are rated at 14k each, the rear 4 at 6k each. For a total of 52k capacity. I have used it to lift the coach wheels off the ground to do some preventive maintenance under the rig. The middle jacks according to DRV and Lippert are to help take the bounce out.
Not comparing frames because I-Beam is not Box Tube and have different properties. NH has an awesome in-house designed frame that can be modified to the client's desires. DRV uses an over-engineered frame so a 1 size fits all. Yes, it is built by Lippert but to the "Old" DRV standards of 3 box tubes stacked...
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
On our DRV we have the Lippert 6 Hydraulic levelers. Front landing gear legs are rated at 14k each, the rear 4 at 6k each. For a total of 52k capacity. I have used it to lift the coach wheels off the ground to do some preventive maintenance under the rig. The middle jacks according to DRV and Lippert are to help take the bounce out.
Not comparing frames because I-Beam is not Box Tube and have different properties. NH has an awesome in-house designed frame that can be modified to the client's desires. DRV uses an over-engineered frame so a 1 size fits all. Yes, it is built by Lippert but to the "Old" DRV standards of 3 box tubes stacked...
Thanks for posting this, I knew the jacks on the DRV were hydraulic from the tour we took a few days ago but I wanted to refer to my notes before replying but we have been traveling the last couple days and have not had a chance.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Sorry, I must have googled an older version of the Lippert 6 point system documentation that showed a rating of 5000 lbs per jack. The newer documentation I just looked at does indeed state they are hydraulic. With the higher ratings you stated it can certainly lift any 5th wheel off the ground. The additional pair of jacks at the back would serve to help stabilize the frame, but that's not an issue with the very solid NH frame. Based on all this, the Big Foot Jacks may not be as superior as I believed... Thanks for straightening me out! That being said, I've had Big Foot Jacks for 10 years on two rigs and they have worked great.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

Burr- My personal opinion is that the Big Foot system is superior. Having a closed system that has 2 wires running to each location a jack is placed is easier to maintain, install, and repair.
Quick background- We had a 2009 Carriage Carrilite that was totaled. We immediately started looking for a replacement home because we are fulltime. We had picked out a 2013 NH that had everything we wanted but the insurance company wouldn't play. For them to write the Total Loss Purchase Price Replacement check, we had to purchase a new untitled RV of equal or better value than our Carrilite was. So this tied our hands in a large way. Because we are fulltimers, we needed an RV NOW... so that cut the new NH or Spacecraft option. And because it needed to be new, a 2013 43' NH we found was eliminated as well. We picked a DRV floor plan that was available in colors and options we can live with.
I personally feel that anything over 36-38 foot needs to be on a reinforced I-Beam style frame. The reason being is that the frame has to support itself and its load. Our 44' DRV doesn't flex or move much using the 6 point jacks, I believe that you could remove the middle 2 jacks and still be stable with as much weight there is on them.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #11

For the record "being I started this thread" the jack system will not be the deciding factor when it's time to make a choice, because we are fulltimer's it will be floorplan and overall build quality.
One thing that has been a plus for us owning a Tiffin on a Freightliner chassis and a Cummins engine we can stop at thousands of places across the country to have work done if needed. DRV has dealers across the country which "should" make it easy if needed but from what I can tell NH is pretty much a one shop outfit in Junction City. How does that work while on the road if something is needed?
Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
The difference between DRV warranty program and New Horizons' warranty program is that with DRV, (as with most "dealer Based" manufacturers) you will be required to take your coach to a DRV dealer for warranty work. DRV has quite a few dealers which is great... depending on where you are located when you need warranty work. You could very well be several hundreds of miles away from the nearest DRV dealer.

With N.H. if you should require warranty work, simply find the nearest RV dealer of any brand. As long as they have a certified technician on staff, Ken Ullmer, our service manager, will authorize them to service your coach. If that's not a convenient option, then Ken will also work with a mobile RV repair service to come right to your campsite to work on your coach.

This warranty program truly puts you in the driver's seat to get work done at your convenience for time and location.

Bryan
Old 09-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #13

Thanks again Bryan, that is a great program.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #14

I can personally attest to the NH service department. I have a 2017 NH TT and had a problem with the refrigerator. I was in the Florida Keys so Ken Ulmer sent out a mobile repair company to diagnose the problem. NH paid them direct. I was recently at the NH facility and had the refrigerator replaced along with some other warranty work. I found the entire staff at NH to be very competent and very good to deal with. You can take their word to the bank. Incidentally, I am picking up my new Freightliner M2 112 TV in 3 weeks, so you can still have a Freightliner chassis to go along with a NH trailer. Great Combo!!

Tags
jacks