Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Majestic rear exit/escape window issue

I am driving through NM this week and had a funny thing happen to me today. It is unbelievably windy here. 25-40mph wind w gusts to 60mph. When I parked for the night, my rear window had somehow unlocked itself and was dangling at the top. Thank goodness it didnít fly off on the road.

Locks seemed to work fine when I relocked it.

Anyone else had this? Should I do something about it? Iím going to try and post a photo in case the locks arenít closing down all the way. Please say something if it doesnít look right to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	198876

svaya is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
As the latch is locked down, the hook on the bottom of the latch mechanism should engage a pin that then holds the window closed. Make sure the pin is present and the hook engages it as the latch handle is pulled down. Make sure the red handle is tight and doesn't rattle loose as you drive down the road. Perhaps the high wind pushed on the window pane hard enough to cause the latch to be loose and allow it to open.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

So I clamped the locking mechanism down as hard as I could. Everything lined up well and it looked good. Then on the road again today. Not nearly as much wind but some bumpy interstate and urban driving in ABQ. Parked and checked the back window. The latch handle on both sides had raised up a bit. Not quite enough to let the window open again, but enough to worry me about being on the road. This is a new problem. I am parked here until Wed morning when I am back on the road for a week.

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe a Velcro strap or some other way to tie down the latch handles. Iíve been in this coach for almost a year. I have no idea why this is suddenly happening.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You could loosen the screw and fasten a velcro strap or wire loop under it, then tighten the screw down again to hold it. It is strange that it just started,

I wonder if the gasket on the window flattened out, allowing some slack in the window frame, causing it to work the latch loose?

Bob & Donna
Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

Any ideas on how to check the gasket for flattening?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #6

There is no gasket. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You could make a gasket using silicone caulk on the window frame, perhaps in just a few strategic dabs. Prop it open until the silicone cures, maybe put some powder on it to prevent it sticking to the window surround, and see if that works. You might also search for some butyl rubber gasket that only has glue on one side and try that. I'm just telling what I would try if I wanted to add some cushion to prevent the window from vibrating and working the latch loose. Just be careful not to seal or glue the window so it doesn't open.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

I found some gasket materials. It was a Goldilocks thing. First one was too thick. Next one was too thin. But I doubled up on the too thin one and that apparently was the right thickness. I also taped down the handles to be extra sure. 2 days of bumpy Interstate and so far so good.

But NH has spoken w window manufacturer and they are sending out new handles for me to replace old ones. Although the manufacturer has no idea why this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You could make a gasket using silicone caulk on the window frame, perhaps in just a few strategic dabs. Prop it open until the silicone cures, maybe put some powder on it to prevent it sticking to the window surround, and see if that works. You might also search for some butyl rubber gasket that only has glue on one side and try that. I'm just telling what I would try if I wanted to add some cushion to prevent the window from vibrating and working the latch loose. Just be careful not to seal or glue the window so it doesn't open.

Tags
window