RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Read this to learn about Real Residential Mini Splits - if you get a higher seer number they can be good to 0 degrees - https://www.unhumid.com/best-mini-sp...-cold-weather/

But IMHO the easier solution is Insulation - then a high seer heat pump - 26 seer - very efficient use of the energy needed to operate them.

Just about any HVAC guy will service them as they are really dependable and easy to service - but finding one that will handle the rigors of the US Highway System might be a Big Challenge. (See that as Pot Holes)

Also the units are configured in various different electrical levels - 115 - 220 - 12v - in sizes to handle most requirements - you just need to know what you need - they will make it to work for you - just might not be the most efficient unit.

JMHO,
Busskeeper -

You are correct. As a RESIDENTIAL unit, the Mini-Split might be very good. On the other hand, I have seen very few Dometic or Coleman RV units installed on S&B. As this is a New Horizons Owners Group on IRV2 Forums, I would invite you to trade in your 2005 Travel Supreme for a New Horizons Summit or Majestic and see the difference in the seals and insulation. You might even order the Mini-Splits to see how they are with the superior insulation and qualities of the New Horizons as compared to the Travel Supreme.

On the other hand, try calling a HVAC company to work on a mobile home Trane unit, and see the results. I can only imagine if one called a HVAC tech to repair on a RV!

Just my two cents,
Ron

geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Busskeeper -

You are correct. As a RESIDENTIAL unit, the Mini-Split might be very good. On the other hand, I have seen very few Dometic or Coleman RV units installed on S&B. As this is a New Horizons Owners Group on IRV2 Forums, I would invite you to trade in your 2005 Travel Supreme for a New Horizons Summit or Majestic and see the difference in the seals and insulation. You might even order the Mini-Splits to see how they are with the superior insulation and qualities of the New Horizons as compared to the Travel Supreme.

On the other hand, try calling a HVAC company to work on a mobile home Trane unit, and see the results. I can only imagine if one called a HVAC tech to repair on a RV!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron,

In response to "trade in your 2005 Travel Supreme for a New Horizons Summit or Majestic and see the difference in the seals and insulation" Not much chance that DW would ever ride with me - as the TS was built for Her - But I too Know the cold - Take that as Love the Cold - look here at a really old post - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...9.cfm#23467499

FYI - You do know that before TS started building one of the Top Class A's they were the Premier builder of 5th wheels - when I looked at your website ( https://horizonsrv.com/custom-rvs/majestic/ ) it was like a flashback to TS some 20+ years ago.............Beautiful Homes - Might just stop by for a factory tour someday, as they appear to build them Right!

I built a small sub division with all Coleman HVAC unit some 15 years ago - so they do cross over - the biggest difference, used to be that Mini Splits were the only HVAC units compressors with a Variable speed Compressor, allowing almost infinite speeds and efficiency - now most better residential units are available with those compressors - the only ones who have been late to the Party are the RV - HVAC Systems - which is really just one engineer away from happening.

Now after reading through the web page and being thoroughly impressed - New Horizons is likely the One Engineer that is needed to get the Mini Split into the RV Market, as they are the Leaders in the 5th wheel market - and I'm sure there are many that are sitting in the Oil Fields now and are more of a "Home" than an "RV".

Didn't mean to intrude on Your Horizons Group - but I am Impressed by the units and the Quality of the Builds, think I might just keep an eye open to your group as the Owners of Horizons are a different Breed. I mean that as a Positive comment.

Good Luck with the pursuit of the Mini Split - it would appear to me that they belong in a Horizon RV.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #17

Busskipper -

Honestly, all this talk about wall insulation is for naught. In an RV, the biggest "energy waster" are the windows and door(s). Even the "double pane" windows just pour heat and cold into the RV. And the Challenger doors are not much better. Just like in a house, the better the seal against air intrusion, the better the insulation works. That is one reason why the lamination process used by New Horizons works well against air intrusion through the walls. I will say, in my DRV Elite Suites, due to the hung wall construction, I could feel cold air coming in around the electrical switches and plugs. I cannot feel that in the Majestic.

So, all this has reminded me of one of the strangest RVs I ever saw. It was a Spacecraft - the other custom builder left. I was owned by some carnys who parked at Destiny RV Park in Denton, TX for a time. It was a 48' fifth wheel, white on the outside - no decoration - with 5 slides. There were only 3 windows on the whole RV! And those three windows were only small windows placed on the side of the three of the slides! It looked like a long blockhouse on wheels! But, with only 3 windows and one door, there was very little air incursion. Come to think of it, the door was the only exit for either normal or emergency purposes! It was one strange looking, white fifth wheel! Oh, there were about five or six cameras strategically located on the outside to monitor the perimeter.

But, I bet, even in the dark, one would say it was "well insulated"!

Your comment about the oil field workers. I spent 41 years in the petroleum industry and went through several of the roller coaster rides. You might remember Forks RV, a custom builder. Though they built a wonderful fifth wheel - the Continental Coach - they became more enamored with the petroleum industry and Hollywood. They shifted focus from custom fifth wheels to building "mobile units" for those two industries. After a couple of the lows of the petroleum industry, and I had heard through the grapevine that Forks had a huge contract for living units for the gas fields of Qatar that was cancelled, Forks RV claimed liquidation bankruptcy in either late 2016 or early 2017. I think it was around June 2017 that they had a huge auction at their plant. In my 41 years in petroleum, including three layoffs and two companies going belly-up, I can see and recite many companies that either hitched themselves to petroleum or were petroleum companies that are no more. In fact, none of the five petroleum companies I worked for are under the same ownership. (Look up the history of Standard Oil of Ohio!)

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mini Splits -- Spacecraft does it

Spacecraft has been doing Mini Splits for years -- at least in their semi-trailer units. What are they doing that others cannot?

Don
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
New Horizons tries hard to stay on the leading edge of innovation. We offer (or have offered) many new concepts to our customers that have had little, if any actual field testing... thus, you become our R & D department. Some of the ideas work great and others... well, not so much.

In January I spoke with the owner of the manufacturing company who, to my knowledge is the only one to offer the mini-split system. At that time they had installed approximately 7 units. Out of those 7 units, 2 of them had significant issues. In my opinion, 29% failure rate isn't something that gets me too excited to offer this product. Yes, we want to offer the latest and greatest ideas and innovations but not at the expense of frustrated, unhappy and disappointed customers.

As CEO here, I plan to wait until there's significantly more test data before offering mini-splits on an RV.

Bryan
Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don & Pat View Post
Spacecraft has been doing Mini Splits for years -- at least in their semi-trailer units. What are they doing that others cannot?

Don
Maryland
Don -

You have a DRV. Have you ever seen a Spacecraft? The Spacecraft is basically twice your DRV weight - minimum. I have only seen two. One was at Destiny RV Park, Denton and the other was at the southern plaza on the Kansas Turnpike. The latter was hooked to, basically, a mobile home tractor with a mobile home hitch! Privately owned, of course. It was huge! Probably 50'. No slides. If you built a "fifth wheel" on an 18-wheeler trailer and tractor, well, yes, you could do mini-splits. Why not a 19 SEER Trane? Would you trade your DRV in for this unit? So, how would you run a 240VAC mini-split on a 30/50 amp dog-bone? If you had problems with your mini-split in Kanab, UT, who would you call?

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Don -

You have a DRV. Have you ever seen a Spacecraft? The Spacecraft is basically twice your DRV weight - minimum. I have only seen two. One was at Destiny RV Park, Denton and the other was at the southern plaza on the Kansas Turnpike. The latter was hooked to, basically, a mobile home tractor with a mobile home hitch! Privately owned, of course. It was huge! Probably 50'. No slides. If you built a "fifth wheel" on an 18-wheeler trailer and tractor, well, yes, you could do mini-splits. Why not a 19 SEER Trane? Would you trade your DRV in for this unit? So, how would you run a 240VAC mini-split on a 30/50 amp dog-bone? If you had problems with your mini-split in Kanab, UT, who would you call?

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron,

Spacecraft makes the Semi trailer type of 5th wheel and *regular* 5th wheel, meant to be towed by F250/F350/F450 etc trucks.. pretty sure the weight isn't twice that of a DRV... I'll know more when i visit there next month
Prof_Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Lube View Post
Ron,

Spacecraft makes the Semi trailer type of 5th wheel and *regular* 5th wheel, meant to be towed by F250/F350/F450 etc trucks.. pretty sure the weight isn't twice that of a DRV... I'll know more when i visit there next month
Danny -

Since this is the New Horizons Forum, why aren't you visiting New Horizons in Junction City, KS?

My former Elite Suites was 18,000 pounds. I bet a 53' semi-trailer type of fifth wheel when complete would come in close to 35,000 pounds.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Danny -

Since this is the New Horizons Forum, why aren't you visiting New Horizons in Junction City, KS?

My former Elite Suites was 18,000 pounds. I bet a 53' semi-trailer type of fifth wheel when complete would come in close to 35,000 pounds.

Just my two cents,
Ron
I am. I'm all scheduled, but with the close proximity, we think it foolish not to see what the others have. would you agree?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Lube View Post
I am. I'm all scheduled, but with the close proximity, we think it foolish not to see what the others have. would you agree?
Danny -

I do agree! Will you be talking with Cole or Drew? There is an Ambassadors' meeting in the next few weeks at New Horizons, but I believe it will be over before your arrival. If you do make a New Horizons decision, if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Danny -

I do agree! Will you be talking with Cole or Drew? There is an Ambassadors' meeting in the next few weeks at New Horizons, but I believe it will be over before your arrival. If you do make a New Horizons decision, if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Just my two cents,
Ron
We're scheduled to visit with Cole the week of July 8. I've been pestering that poor man for 2 years. Don and Sherry Allen along with *Big Red* were kind enough to open their doors and answer a ton of questions when we met up with them in CDL Idaho.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #25

Yes, Chris and Tracey, as well as us, will be in JC two weeks before you.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
New Horizons tries hard to stay on the leading edge of innovation. We offer (or have offered) many new concepts to our customers that have had little, if any actual field testing... thus, you become our R & D department. Some of the ideas work great and others... well, not so much.

In January I spoke with the owner of the manufacturing company who, to my knowledge is the only one to offer the mini-split system. At that time they had installed approximately 7 units. Out of those 7 units, 2 of them had significant issues. In my opinion, 29% failure rate isn't something that gets me too excited to offer this product. Yes, we want to offer the latest and greatest ideas and innovations but not at the expense of frustrated, unhappy and disappointed customers.

As CEO here, I plan to wait until there's significantly more test data before offering mini-splits on an RV.

Bryan

Mini spits used in the commercial truck industry don't have a 29% failure rate.

Be interesting to know if the same thing failed on both.

35' 5thCustomized-16"Frame-240gFW-120gBlack-120gGrey-2"XPSTank Insulation-2x8K TimbrenSTI-TusonABS -900AhCrownFLA -BlueSea8264 -3KVictronMulti+GX+600W Xantrax-2K Solar-ARP Alarm-100gal ASME Propane -50A ProNautic-Propex 2800-2x300C Viair-17.5 Alcoa+TOYO1430
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote