RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #29

I have to say that I understand Brian's reluctance to use a mini split. However what does a Prevost use to cool? It's road tested and could be mounted under the floor?

mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #30

Tell me how to and I will. Picture that is. Our 110v unit has been in operation for a few years now. All we ever got out of our Dometic was 2 years per before compressor fan goes out. We are full time so they run constantly. Our Teton rides on an air hitch, ET hitch. It is as smooth as it gets. Only complaint I have heard of about NH units Mini Splits are humidity.They may be over sizing them. They cool better I believe due to not pushing air thru small duct in a hot area. The cassettes are better at air distribution. They distribute air in 4 directions. They are only 220v. Best of my knowledge that is what NH uses. They run an interior duct down center of unit. Our interior unit in living/kitchen room is on the wall with no duct. We are now in south Texas and it is hottest of year so far. Heat index now of 107. We are quite comfortable. Clothes dryer running also. DW cooking earlier also. We were not with the Dometics. Also the Dometics were 15k units. Also I am a welder by trade. So I built the frame on the back for mine. Nothing redneck about it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
See post #8 on this link.

Forums 101 - posting, photos, accounts, basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Tell me how to and I will. Picture that is.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #32

My set up if it shows up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_184131832_HDR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	256456  
Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #33

Had to mount high due to running lights. One larger unit for mutiple heads could go in middle lower. NH puts their unit in storage area. I didn't due to large battery bank going in there and my air over hydraulics air tank. Just take up too much storage for us. As far as service, I can do anything on them. Also asked a service man that was servicing the parks air conditoiner and he can looked at mine and said he saw no issuse with servicing it if needed. Now that I have had both, roof Dometic and Mini Split we will never own anything else. The low power makes it possible to run them on lithium batteries and inverter/s with solar. That means a lot
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 08-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #34

You did a good job on the platforms. As far as service goes, there are way more residential HVAC techs available then dedicated RV techs. Obtaining parts may possibly be a problem on at least lesser known brands, but honestly, once the wiring and refrigeration tubing is in place, replacing the entire unit (both inside and outside have to match) would be child’s play for a good tech and no more expensive than the rooftop units. I wouldn’t worry in the least about whether they hold up or not. I doubt they would be any worse than current production rooftop units. If I were full-timing I would pull my rooftop units and install minsplits just for the noise reduction alone and with the reduced power draw, these make solar power way more doable.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #35

I used the Pioneer brand units. They have high seer rating and well made. Not overly exspensive either. NH uses LG units or at least the ones I know of. They are the only ones I have heard any complaints on humidity isuses. I would mention this and see if it has been addresed. I have no bad issues with ours. Very satified. DW happy.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #36

Typically, lack of humidity control occurs when the ENTIRE unit is oversized. Thus the temperature demand is satisfied before the unit runs long enough to pull the humidity down. I’m not an engineer but have worked in the AC industry both as a servicing and installing dealer and recently retired from the wholesale supply house side of the industry. From what little I know I doubt the unit brand is the cause of too much humidity. However, I freely admit that my experience does not include inverter technology which allows the unit to modulate capacity as the load demands. The last few years I’ve worked as purchasing, inventory control and pricing at the supply house and did not stay up to date on the latest technology. Modulating the system down though, should in effect give one an increased coil surface ratio over cooling BTU’s which logically would seem to increase rather than decrease humidity control. I know that can happen in house systems where the dealer has increase the coil capacity as in, say, a 3 ton coil matched to 2 ton system. SEER increases as a result of increased coil surface area but in extreme situations one can pull TOO MUCH humidity out of the air as a result.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #37

I think Glen West has confused SpaceCraft RV for New Horizons. To my knowledge from several people that have just been to NH, NH hasn't installed Mini-Splits yet. Space Craft has.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
I think Glen West has confused SpaceCraft RV for New Horizons. To my knowledge from several people that have just been to NH, NH hasn't installed Mini-Splits yet. Space Craft has.
I am almost positive they will. They are custom buld. Space Craft has put several out with them. If they wouldn't I would go to Space Craft. I will never own another without it.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
Typically, lack of humidity control occurs when the ENTIRE unit is oversized. Thus the temperature demand is satisfied before the unit runs long enough to pull the humidity down. Iím not an engineer but have worked in the AC industry both as a servicing and installing dealer and recently retired from the wholesale supply house side of the industry. From what little I know I doubt the unit brand is the cause of too much humidity. However, I freely admit that my experience does not include inverter technology which allows the unit to modulate capacity as the load demands. The last few years Iíve worked as purchasing, inventory control and pricing at the supply house and did not stay up to date on the latest technology. Modulating the system down though, should in effect give one an increased coil surface ratio over cooling BTUís which logically would seem to increase rather than decrease humidity control. I know that can happen in house systems where the dealer has increase the coil capacity as in, say, a 3 ton coil matched to 2 ton system. SEER increases as a result of increased coil surface area but in extreme situations one can pull TOO MUCH humidity out of the air as a result.
My bedroom is oversized. But it mostly idles. No humidty problem. Our dryer is in there also. That reason left it at 12k. I don't understand the LG problem but it is widely reported. Why I mentioned it.