RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

Mini Split on NH

Has anyone had a mini split installed as original equipment on their NH?

Prof_Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #2

Why not just get the heat pump option on the Coleman AC? We got the heat pumps on both Coleman ACs. Heat pumps are fine down to about 40F. The Coleman heat pumps work great, by the way.

Just my two cents,
Ron

geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Lube View Post
Has anyone had a mini split installed as original equipment on their NH?
I was at the Saddle West RV park in Pahrump NV over the March 23/24 weekend and one of the nearby newish-looking Tiffin RVs had a mini-split outside section on the roof. Could have been factory, could have been an aftermarket install. The owner was not around so I could not ask.

I'd like to know more about the mini-splits... how easy are they to install, how efficient are they, can they survive on an modified sine wave inverter, do they work well as a heat pump or are they A/C only, can they physically stand up to the rolling earthquake environment that is the average MH or TT, etc.

I'm asking this as the rear A/C in my coach is dead and needs replacing, and if a mini-split can handle it I may go that route rather than install yet another hole-in-the-roof Brisk-Air type of unit.

Plus I'm going to be moving soon, and plan on installing a new mini-split in the new-to-me S&B garage workshop.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #4

Mini split is the best most efficient quietest way to go.

The issue is that to be high efficient a single unit that is large enough to cool a RV would be 220V. One can always use two 110V units though.

Take a look here at 7:35

35' 5thCustomized-16"Frame-240gFW-120gBlack-120gGrey-2"XPSTank Insulation-2x8K TimbrenSTI-TusonABS -900AhCrownFLA -BlueSea8264 -3KVictronMulti+GX+600W Xantrax-2K Solar-ARP Alarm-100gal ASME Propane -50A ProNautic-Propex 2800-2x300C Viair-17.5 Alcoa+TOYO1430
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Thanks. this is what I'm looking for. Based on my research, the quiet efficiency on these things is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post

The issue is that to be high efficient a single unit that is large enough to cool a RV would be 220V. One can always use two 110V units though.

___snip_______
Prof_Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:

That link is to part 2 of the tour, it's worth seeing part 1 (the interior). In that part the comment that "the refrigerator is louder than the air conditioner" is made.... It's at <
Old 05-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #7

Ya split A/C units are far better than roof mount units. A good one starts at about double the price of a good roof unit though.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Ya split A/C units are far better than roof mount units. A good one starts at about double the price of a good roof unit though.
https://www.acwholesalers.com/EMI-MZ...yABEgLm__D_BwE

Four Zones 36,000 BTU and $2,143.00 --Sounds like a pretty good Number - Mount it on the front of the generator slide out and just pull it out a foot or so when you are set up - looks and sounds Easy . All of the Manufacturers would have to make the change and that is just not likely.

Now if they would just insulate these Beasts like an Airplane, life would be easy.

JMHO,

12 volt off grid solar -

https://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:

50 Amp RV service is 220 VAC.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
New Horizons tries hard to stay on the leading edge of innovation. We offer (or have offered) many new concepts to our customers that have had little, if any actual field testing... thus, you become our R & D department. Some of the ideas work great and others... well, not so much.

In January I spoke with the owner of the manufacturing company who, to my knowledge is the only one to offer the mini-split system. At that time they had installed approximately 7 units. Out of those 7 units, 2 of them had significant issues. In my opinion, 29% failure rate isn't something that gets me too excited to offer this product. Yes, we want to offer the latest and greatest ideas and innovations but not at the expense of frustrated, unhappy and disappointed customers.

As CEO here, I plan to wait until there's significantly more test data before offering mini-splits on an RV.

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
New Horizons tries hard to stay on the leading edge of innovation. We offer (or have offered) many new concepts to our customers that have had little, if any actual field testing... thus, you become our R & D department. Some of the ideas work great and others... well, not so much.

In January I spoke with the owner of the manufacturing company who, to my knowledge is the only one to offer the mini-split system. At that time they had installed approximately 7 units. Out of those 7 units, 2 of them had significant issues. In my opinion, 29% failure rate isn't something that gets me too excited to offer this product. Yes, we want to offer the latest and greatest ideas and innovations but not at the expense of frustrated, unhappy and disappointed customers.

As CEO here, I plan to wait until there's significantly more test data before offering mini-splits on an RV.

Bryan
Bryan,

Probably a good choice - but - a Mini split requires a different mind set - Installation and Location along with a Little tougher unit might require more than just a little/some forethought.

Easier solution might be to work with a much better system for insulation and reflection, to retain what is discharged into the unit and keep out what is trying to enter from outside the unit. (Higher level of Insulation and Seal)

Just a couple of thoughts,
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #12

Unfortunately, the largest unit that runs on 110v is 12000 btus, so to use a larger unit, would have to rewire coach to 240 volt. Once done you could run the bigger unit[s] on 50 amp shore power, or generator. But not on 30 amp service.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Bryan,

Probably a good choice - but - a Mini split requires a different mind set - Installation and Location along with a Little tougher unit might require more than just a little/some forethought.

Easier solution might be to work with a much better system for insulation and reflection, to retain what is discharged into the unit and keep out what is trying to enter from outside the unit. (Higher level of Insulation and Seal)

Just a couple of thoughts,
Busskipper -

Useful thoughts. You might try testing a New Horizons unit to see what it is really like. Here is Day 4 of six days of below freezing temps with 52" of snow in the campground. We only burned 40# of propane in eight days with only the fireplace and one small electric heater running inside the Majestic. I can only imagine the hotel bill if we still had our Alpine! The inside temperature was always in the 70s.

The other thought, who would work on a Mini-Split if one had problems on the road? I doubt if mobile RV techs know anything about Mini-Splits. Plus, heat pumps are only good above 40F.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb192019.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	248308  
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Busskipper -

Useful thoughts. You might try testing a New Horizons unit to see what it is really like. Here is Day 4 of six days of below freezing temps with 52" of snow in the campground. We only burned 40# of propane in eight days with only the fireplace and one small electric heater running inside the Majestic. I can only imagine the hotel bill if we still had our Alpine! The inside temperature was always in the 70s.

The other thought, who would work on a Mini-Split if one had problems on the road? I doubt if mobile RV techs know anything about Mini-Splits. Plus, heat pumps are only good above 40F.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Read this to learn about Real Residential Mini Splits - if you get a higher seer number they can be good to 0 degrees - https://www.unhumid.com/best-mini-sp...-cold-weather/

But IMHO the easier solution is Insulation - then a high seer heat pump - 26 seer - very efficient use of the energy needed to operate them.

Just about any HVAC guy will service them as they are really dependable and easy to service - but finding one that will handle the rigors of the US Highway System might be a Big Challenge. (See that as Pot Holes)

Also the units are configured in various different electrical levels - 115 - 220 - 12v - in sizes to handle most requirements - you just need to know what you need - they will make it to work for you - just might not be the most efficient unit.

JMHO,