Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
More Delivery Delays

I'll just start by saying I'm not happy right now! We ordered our new camper on the 12th of Feb with a delivery date of mid May. We opted to wait until after the Memorial Day holiday to pick it up so I could save some vacation days.

Two weeks before our delivery was scheduled I asked for some pictures showing the progress before it got sent out for paint. The side walls weren't even on it yet. Needless to say I called and questioned the delivery date and was told they were 6 weeks behind schedule due to the paint plant schedule. I was OK with that but wondered why New Horizons hadn't bothered to call me to let me know.

Well, the new delivery date was scheduled for 11 July. I asked to have it back a week to the 18th. I called last week to verify delivery and was told we were good and they would send updated progress pictures.

I never got the pictures and called yesterday and today as well as Emailed to get some information. After being put off 3 times today, being told my salesman was not in, I told the receptionist I needed to know if my delivery date is good or not. Now, not later.

Cole was on the phone almost immediately to talk to me. Turns out my camper is another 2 or 3 weeks delayed! This is the second time I've had to cancel all my reservations for campgrounds from Washington DC to Junction City Kansas. That's $150 I can kiss good bye on the cancellation fees.

They still can't give me a good date for delivery and since I'm basically completely paid off at this point I don't feel they really care.

I'm waiting on a call to get a firm delivery date so I can completely rearrange my entire trip out there and back. I honestly can handle delays. I understand things like this happen. What I can't handle is the lack of forthrightness. Just call me and tell me things are going to be delayed as soon as you know it.

OK Rant over. Still PO'd though.
Joe Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #2

I would be going on a road trip. We saw ours several times during the build. Face to face conversation is always the best.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
I would be going on a road trip. We saw ours several times during the build. Face to face conversation is always the best.
Agreed. That may be happening very soon. I only have two weeks vacation though, so I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in. I was supposed to be at a Navy reunion on the 21st. I may fly out a day early and go see what's up. It's too far to drive in a weekend or I would drive out and see them on a Monday or Friday.

I'm checking for flight tickets tonight.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #4

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Visit with the owners in the factory parking lot waiting for service. I have spent many weeks there and the positive experience stories are few, major delivery delays, arrive for service appointment only to wait a week or 10 days to get into shop......however the camper is pretty good.....people I have talked with on the tarmac say they don't report this because they want the company around for their warranty. I presume all experiences are not like this...regards
Dagwood31119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Our Summit was ordered in late December and was finally ready in June. The paint shop they use seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to New Horizons paint jobs.
For the most part we have been pleased with our rig but I would suggest you plan to spend at least a week in Junction City for delivery.
We were on a tight schedule and they worked hard to get us out of there in 4 days but it would have been better if we had a few more days.
bginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bginn View Post
Our Summit was ordered in late December and was finally ready in June. The paint shop they use seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to New Horizons paint jobs.
For the most part we have been pleased with our rig but I would suggest you plan to spend at least a week in Junction City for delivery.
We were on a tight schedule and they worked hard to get us out of there in 4 days but it would have been better if we had a few more days.
We have an entire week to be there. The folks that picked up this week are still there working out issues on there unit. Ours will be picked up from paint this Friday. I was told they would be working Saturday's until their backlog is caught up. Hopefully that means ours will be ready by the 8/1 pick up date.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the NHOG family! If you are like us, and it appears you are, I expect that you will learn a lot in the next year or two. It looks like you are learning very quickly already. We had lots of problems with our unit. Every time we identified an issue, we learned so much. It took us two years to get most things smoothed out, but what an education! We still believe that the NH fifth wheel trailers are the best out there at this price range. There will be frustration with NH and RVing in general, but those are both outweighed by fantastic adventures that we could never have had for not going down this road. Best luck with your delivery, and unit quality and reliability. Manage your stress, learn lots and most of all realize and experience your joy in everything!
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
This situation is going to improve. You have my word on it.

Bryan Tillett
CEO
N.H.
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #9

Is the build time really 6 months?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the NHOG family! If you are like us, and it appears you are, I expect that you will learn a lot in the next year or two. It looks like you are learning very quickly already. We had lots of problems with our unit. Every time we identified an issue, we learned so much. It took us two years to get most things smoothed out, but what an education! We still believe that the NH fifth wheel trailers are the best out there at this price range. There will be frustration with NH and RVing in general, but those are both outweighed by fantastic adventures that we could never have had for not going down this road. Best luck with your delivery, and unit quality and reliability. Manage your stress, learn lots and most of all realize and experience your joy in everything!
I had to chuckle when I read the part where you said " We still believe that the NH fifth wheel trailers are the best out there at this price range" That sure narrowed the field to how many , 2 manufactures LOL!!
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #11

Dang, I'm a little disheartened to hear that some of the NH owners are not talking about there issues because they want NH to be around to keep taking care of issues. I fully understand that word of mouth can be the best or worst form of advertisement.
In researching 5th wheels I know I have found the NH forums to be the quietest of any manufacture out there and I just hoped that it was because there were just no issues to talk about and there were no modifications to talk about because everything was built so perfectly at the factory but maybe I'm wrong.
Anything can happen to any company out there but while researching I always have those brands that went away in the back of my head thinking about the current owners getting things fixed and parts becoming harder to get and how much the value dropped on there units.
Sort of like our Tiffin, if they went away there would be an endless amount of parts to be found in boneyards for years, not so much with other brands like NH if "god forbid" anything ever happened. Just because there are not nearly as many on the road.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #12

Common since tells you that the reason this Owners Forum is not as active as other higher volume manufactures is a product of the numbers. The other factor is that people have a tendency to complain about negative things more than they do to talk about positive things. I think we would all agree that there has never been an RV that was perfect. The way an organization deals with problems that may pop up is what sets them apart. Do your self a favor and visit this facility and get to know the people and see what this company and the people are about. My goal was to feel comfortable about spend a large amount of money on a quality RV. They are are about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the build of our Majestic and I am very comfortable with my decision and expect to be very excited to travel back up to New Horizons in the coming months to take delivery of a top quality 5th wheel
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Is the build time really 6 months?
I would expect 5-6 months. It's worth the wait to get exactly what you want. If you're not ordering custom built, I would suspect it would take less time.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
Common since tells you that the reason this Owners Forum is not as active as other higher volume manufactures is a product of the numbers. The other factor is that people have a tendency to complain about negative things more than they do to talk about positive things. I think we would all agree that there has never been an RV that was perfect. The way an organization deals with problems that may pop up is what sets them apart. Do your self a favor and visit this facility and get to know the people and see what this company and the people are about. My goal was to feel comfortable about spend a large amount of money on a quality RV. They are are about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the build of our Majestic and I am very comfortable with my decision and expect to be very excited to travel back up to New Horizons in the coming months to take delivery of a top quality 5th wheel
Well you certainly have a point when you talk about the amount of owners and you are 100% correct saying that it's human nature to complain about problems, but I also see a lot of positive on the other forums and people talking about numerous other things like mod's ect.
As far as your comment about visiting the factory, well we gust finished driving about 700 miles over the last 2 days from Red Bay Alabama to Mayetta Kansas where we will hole up for a couple days to let some rain pass before hopefully touring the plant on Wednesday or Thursday.
We will winter in Arizona so coming here from Red Bay instead of gong west to Arizona from Red Bay was just to visit the plant. Like you we don't take spending that much money lightly. And with that said, Congrats to you on your build. I guess we might lay eyes on it during our tour.