Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

MORryde steps

As we sit here for the night at a rest area again I have to wonder just how we would pull it off with the More Ryde steps sticking out like they do. Any comments from those that have experienced this?
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
My experience is some rest areas have narrow spaces, I look for a space at the end of the parking area. We found the advantages, especially for long term stays, out ways any disadvantage

Dennis Z
Dennis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

I too generally just try for an end spot or I park as far over next to painted line in truck area as I can to leave room for steps to protrude out. You could always put reflective tape along sides for better night time visibility.
svaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

I have a 4 step model that sricks out about 4ft. from the trailer when deployed. I simply fold it up inside the trailer. All you need is a piece of rope about 8' long tied to a large hook. I use a carbiner snap hook. Tie a few knots in the rope to make it easier to raise and lower. Hook the hook into the bottom step and pull it inside. I still have room inside my unit to walk by the steps with the door closed. It is also more secure as it makes it harder for someone outside to try and enter while you are inside sleeping. My steps do not have the optional hand rail attachment which would protrude too far inside my unit when sreps are inside. If you are not physically able to lift/pull up the steps then install an eye bolt inside over the top of the door and use a pulley block and longer rope. This will solve the problem as long as you have the room inside to get around the stored steps. Good luck.
MoDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDodge View Post
I have a 4 step model that sricks out about 4ft. from the trailer when deployed. I simply fold it up inside the trailer. All you need is a piece of rope about 8' long tied to a large hook. I use a carbiner snap hook. Tie a few knots in the rope to make it easier to raise and lower. Hook the hook into the bottom step and pull it inside. I still have room inside my unit to walk by the steps with the door closed. It is also more secure as it makes it harder for someone outside to try and enter while you are inside sleeping. My steps do not have the optional hand rail attachment which would protrude too far inside my unit when sreps are inside. If you are not physically able to lift/pull up the steps then install an eye bolt inside over the top of the door and use a pulley block and longer rope. This will solve the problem as long as you have the room inside to get around the stored steps. Good luck.
God idea, have you thought about what happens if in the morning you can't lay the steps out? I like the idea, just getting my head around all possibilities.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

We don't normally stay at rest stops but when we do we try to get a end spot but not always possible. I'm just thinking about those times we can't. Last night we one of them and had me thinking.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
God idea, have you thought about what happens if in the morning you can't lay the steps out? I like the idea, just getting my head around all possibilities.
So far nobody has been parked that close to me, however, I have thought about that possibility. If it was in the morning I would probably make a cup of coffee and wait a little while as most people don't stay very long after daylight at rest areas. If I wanted to get out I would simply use one of the two escape windows in my NH. I have a large one in the rear end ond another one in the bedroom. I keep a rolled up rope ladder that has rigid steps on it in the cabinet underneath each one of these 2 windows in case an emergency exit is needed. I reccomend that everyone do this and practice doing it once a year. It's a whole lot easier getting out with the rope ladder than jumping or falling down the 5'-6' or so to the ground.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #8

UPDATED 9-6-2018
Just leaving Moryde in Elkhart, Indiana today after some regular scheduled maintenance. They have a new improvement to their steps. It is an air assisted lift/ retract cylinder. It is really nice! It eliminates the latching mechanism and makes it super easy to deploy and retract. It is only available as a new complete unit now, however, they are working on a retrofit package for all of the existing steps now and expect it to be available in a few months. I will be upgrading to this as soon as it is available.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDodge View Post
UPDATED 9-6-2018
Just leaving Moryde in Elkhart, Indiana today after some regular scheduled maintenance. They have a new improvement to their steps. It is an air assisted lift/ retract cylinder. It is really nice! It eliminates the latching mechanism and makes it super easy to deploy and retract. It is only available as a new complete unit now, however, they are working on a retrofit package for all of the existing steps now and expect it to be available in a few months. I will be upgrading to this as soon as it is available.
Excellent upgrade! Are they doing anything about improving its adjustability for uneven ground? There is only a small amount of adjustment on the legs and they don't work when there is a large drop-off (such as parking next to a ditch for a bathroom break), or high ground (such as stopping next to a sidewalk).
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #10

Very good point! On more than a few occasions I have had to put 4" spacers underneath the legs. Another 6" of retractable extension in the legs would be real nice. I will send Gary Wheeler (Moryde RV Show Rep) an email with your suggestion. They seem to have an excellent staff there so, hopefully, they can come up with that improvement.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #11

It would probably be a design nightmare but if the steps could hinge in the middle (maybe not exactly in the middle) back under themselves and latch making a much steeper but shorter set of steps for those tight situations would be great. Not perfect I'm sure but helpful for those few times you just don't have room.

Tags
steps