RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

New Horizons Orientation Inquiry

Gayle and I (Skip) will be in Junction City the second week in March for the orientation on our new M40IK3S which I believe should be totally complete by the end of this week. Since we are pretty much new to RV camping and particularly with a fifth wheel, we will be spending a week poring over all the systems and details of our new home on wheels. Unfortunately, our truck won't be ready by then so at the end of our stay, we will head back home without our new Majestic and then return for the pickup when our truck is ready. I have all the usual PDI checklists to go by to try to avoid overlooking something really important, but I was wondering if I might get some pointers regarding things to focus on that maybe some of you think is most critical or possibly things that you wish you had paid more attention to at pickup time. We are super excited and of course wish that we could do the orientation and the pickup at the same time, which I'm sure most people do. However, the reason behind that is a long story and not the focus of this query. Obviously, any suggestions that come our way that have to do specifically with towing or the tow vehicle will be appreciated but not particularly germane to this upcoming trip to Junction City. We hope to do the actual pickup toward the end of April sometime and will get some help with towing at that time. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions or comments. BTW, I already took care of the most important request of NH for our arrival and that was for them to make sure the temperature is around 75 degrees during the day and maybe 65 at night. They laughed......actually, the long range forecast (for what that's worth) is for highs mostly in the 40's and lows in the 20's most of the week we are there. That's just not right for us.......we are from Florida and it was 72 degrees today. Now I have to see if I can find a pair of socks that I can wear with my flip flops (dork.....lol). I guess long john's with my shorts will totally cement my nerd status.......

shill is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #2

Well the big day is finally here (almost). Bring a video camera and record the orientation so you can refer back as needed. Try everything on power, battery, and generator if optioned. Make sure the coach is built as agreed. Most importantly ENJOY your week.

Our orientation was conducted in 102 degree weather so we didn't check the heat . I think your biggest issue will be the lack of a truck and an orientation drive. You might want to see if you can defer that portion till your truck is ready. Pull through spots will be your friend on the way home.

Mitch

mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Well the big day is finally here (almost). Bring a video camera and record the orientation so you can refer back as needed. Try everything on power, battery, and generator if optioned. Make sure the coach is built as agreed. Most importantly ENJOY your week.

Our orientation was conducted in 102 degree weather so we didn't check the heat . I think your biggest issue will be the lack of a truck and an orientation drive. You might want to see if you can defer that portion till your truck is ready. Pull through spots will be your friend on the way home.

Mitch

Thanks for your input, Mitch. We actually did just what you suggested. The driving portion of the orientation is deferred until we have our truck. But even then I believe pull through spots will be our friend....lol.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

Very first thing for orientation . . . Ask Harold to help you sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing! That involves putting a Clorox solution in the tank and circulate it through the plumbing. That solution needs to set for 4 or 5 hours, then dumped. Fill the fresh water tank again, circulate out the plumbing, then dump the fresh water and gray tanks. Fill the fresh water tank again for your use. But get the sanitation process started first. That way you can have sanitized fresh water that night.

Oh, to do the above, you need fresh water hose. On your way in to Junction City, stop at Walmart and get a heavy duty fresh water hose (metal connectors and blue in color, 35') or two cheaper white hoses (with plastic connections, 25'). You can also get a cheap flow-restriction pressure regulator from Walmart, but for long term get the expensive one with a pressure gauge. Use the cheap regulator later for black water flush. Don't expect NH to furnish a hose, and DO NOT use the black hose rolled up on top of the propane tank cage! DO NOT!

IMPORTANT Note: The exit for Walmart is located west of the exit for Stacey's Cafe. You MUST go to Stacey's for breakfast! I recommend either the two hot cakes, eggs, and ham, or the western omelette. Sit near the front and enjoy the locals! Plus, the staff know who and what New Horizons is.

Backing, really not that hard. You know my backing requirements already. Put your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and then turn it in the direction you want the RV to go. Get Harold to give you some "backing lessons". You might also want to check out the Escapees RV Club "RV Driving School". I believe they hold this school in Florida too, and I think, maybe, they might also have RVs to use.

DW and I do have some spare ski clothes. Should I send you a "Care/Survival Package"?

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Very first thing for orientation . . . Ask Harold to help you sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing! That involves putting a Clorox solution in the tank and circulate it through the plumbing. That solution needs to set for 4 or 5 hours, then dumped. Fill the fresh water tank again, circulate out the plumbing, then dump the fresh water and gray tanks. Fill the fresh water tank again for your use. But get the sanitation process started first. That way you can have sanitized fresh water that night.

Oh, to do the above, you need fresh water hose. On your way in to Junction City, stop at Walmart and get a heavy duty fresh water hose (metal connectors and blue in color, 35') or two cheaper white hoses (with plastic connections, 25'). You can also get a cheap flow-restriction pressure regulator from Walmart, but for long term get the expensive one with a pressure gauge. Use the cheap regulator later for black water flush. Don't expect NH to furnish a hose, and DO NOT use the black hose rolled up on top of the propane tank cage! DO NOT!

IMPORTANT Note: The exit for Walmart is located west of the exit for Stacey's Cafe. You MUST go to Stacey's for breakfast! I recommend either the two hot cakes, eggs, and ham, or the western omelette. Sit near the front and enjoy the locals! Plus, the staff know who and what New Horizons is.

Backing, really not that hard. You know my backing requirements already. Put your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and then turn it in the direction you want the RV to go. Get Harold to give you some "backing lessons". You might also want to check out the Escapees RV Club "RV Driving School". I believe they hold this school in Florida too, and I think, maybe, they might also have RVs to use.

DW and I do have some spare ski clothes. Should I send you a "Care/Survival Package"?

Just my two cents,
Ron
Thank you very much for your comments. We'll get the sanitation done for sure. We are shipping necessities to NH in advance and that will include hoses, pressure regulator, and if we can find any, some long clothes and maybe even some real shoes..... Lol. And regarding the driving, I have towed lots of trailers for many years..... But not a fifth wheel and certainly nothing so large as our NH. But I'll practice in Junction City and we'll be fine.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

We hope to do the actual pickup toward the end of April sometime and will get some help with towing at that time. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions or comments. BTW, I already took care of the most important request of NH for our arrival and that was for them to make sure the temperature is around 75 degrees during the day and maybe 65 at night. They laughed......actually, the long range forecast (for what that's worth) is for highs mostly in the 40's and lows in the 20's most of the week we are there. That's just not right for us.......we are from Florida and it was 72 degrees today.
-------------------------------------

Might seem kind of obvious to some, but have you made arrangements with NH to monitor and make sure the trailer stays warm enough for water not to freeze? That means not running out of LP and keeping the trailer plugged in to power to keep the batteries charged. Gas furnaces use a lot of LP in cold temps. To keep the holding tanks and all water lines above freezing requires the gas furnace to run.

Also recall, the longer you stay in the trailer - live it in - before you leave the more issues you are likely to find. Don't set an arbitrary date to leave. Get it discovered and fixed while you are there.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #7

Check the thred discussing fresh water tank loosing water while traveling and make sure you don’t have that problem.
ja_landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_landry View Post
Check the thred discussing fresh water tank loosing water while traveling and make sure you donít have that problem.
The fresh water tank has been redesigned to avoid siphoning while traveling

Bryan

ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Dish | Pin weight »