Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #1

NH questions

Hi group. My wife and I are in the shopping mode for our 1st rv. For a couple of months I have been poring over the forums, rv consumer info, and blogs in an effort to educate myself for this effort. We started out looking at 5ers then focused on foretravel MHs. A few days ago I came across the NH website and have been reading everything I can find on NH. Very impressive reviews and the manufacturer appears to be top notch in terms of product quality and service. My wife is a traveling nurse so we have decided to sell our home and make our new rv "home"so we are looking for a top of the line unit (preowned probably, but possibly new if we decide to go NH). A few questions tho.
1. I take it there are no dealers for NH. Warranty issues,etc have to be taken care of at the factory,correct?
2. I'm looking at something along the line of a 34-36' 5 star. What do you folks recommend in terms of the tow vehicle requirements?
3. Is it feasible to tow a motorcycle trailor Behind a NH?
Mark and Sandy Garrison 8)
Longview,Tx
harmonica slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #2

Mark & Sandy,
First let me say I applaud your research into the RV lifestyle. We have been full timing for 4 years and have no plans to stop just yet.

Our view on your questions,
1. They would prefer that you have warranty issues done at the factory, but it can be handle at a local RV repair facility.

2. NH trailers, fifth wheels and MotoMovers are heavy units. They are constructed to last and be used as full time units. No particle board or staples, etc. so the tow vehicle needs to be able to handle the load. A 36' fifth wheel will weigh in around 18,000 dry weight, give or take a 1,000 pounds. A Ford F550 or a Freightliner FL 60 will do the job. Many NH owners use Medium duty trucks or even, as in our case, a modified full size heavy duty truck.

3. Yes you could tow a motorcycle behind. If your are looking to tow a motorcycle behind, I would suggest you look into a MotoMover. Some states do not allow for tandem towing on roads that are not interstates.

I hope this info helps, but feel free to ask additional questions and I'm sure that someone will respond.

Bob & Donna
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #3

No doubt you have already seen the used NH units that are listed at the NHOG.US site. There is a 34 foot unit there:
http://www.nhog.us/forsale/index.htm...izons_F34RLSSX

Bob and Donna already stated the facts about the requirement for a heavier duty truck.

Depending upon the weight of the motorcycle you are talking about, I have seen some on a rack on the rear of the fifth wheel.

I have also seen a triangular shaped unit that is attached via two receiver hitches on the back of the trailer. There is a single pivoting wheel under the that trailer. The deck has a track and the necessary tie downs for the motorcycle. A search of the internet found this: http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/rv_...er_assist.html

Personally, it seems like a great solution. My concern would be that it can not be seen in any of the rear view truck mirrors. At the very minimum I would put a Pressure Pro sensor on that tire to be warned if that single tire had lost pressure.
Wandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #4

FL60

Hey Bob and Donna. I've been on the escapees forum looking at tow vehicles and I see the fl60 is pretty popular. So, what kind of HP does your 60 have? I see where some are 275hp and up to around 350. Also, if you get one that is not already set up for a 5er, what is needed to do so? Thanks. Mark
harmonica slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

Yes, the FL 60 is a popular choice. I found our truck on the Escapees website. It had already been converted to a RV hauler. We have a Volvo full size truck. Ours has a 435 hp Cummins engine. I have a 260 gallon fuel capacity. A real sticker shocker when I refuel now a days. We have lots of storage on the truck too.

I have seen full size trucks towing without any modifications except the commercial info removed from the truck and private coach or a similar saying somewhere on the truck.

The modifications done to our truck were,
1. Replaced tires with 22,5" ones
2. Replaced hitch with a 32,000 pound air hitch.
3. Removed forward axle in the back.
4. Put a 1/4" steel plate on the back for a deck and aluminum step-up side skirting.
5. The exhaust re-positioned to vent out the side.
6. Large storage bins placed on the sides and back, plus on the deck.
7. Not sure, but I think there were some modifications to the cab also i.e. window replacement and lighting.

I am not sure who did the conversion, but it was done in the Reading, Pa. area. I would suggest that you get at least a 300 hp engine, but 275 will do.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #6

Greetings,
Congrats. on your research! I did the same deal and ended up every time leaning toward New Horizons.
I picked up my '07 Motomover in September and towed it back to Chico, CA....my hometown. The trailer specs are:
*Tandem Axle
*3050# Pin Weight
*15000 GVWR, (Loaded = 14480#)
*Solid Countertops
*Deluxe Kitchen
*Queen size 'Tempurpedic Bed'
*Solid Cherry Wood Cabinets

My tow vehicle is a 'Box-Stock' '07 SILVERADO 'CLASSIC' HD3500 DUALLY, WITH THE DURAMAX/ALLISON COMBO.
This truck pulls the rig effortlessly! We went over Vail Summit 3 Times, (11K+ elevation, 6-7% Grades), and she held an even 60mph uphill.
Our GCVW = 23492#.

Just an FYI for comparison....have fun and enjoy the hunt.

'07 Silverado Classic HD3500 CC, D/A.
Hutch45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new horizons rv, nhog