Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Exclamation Ordering Process

Just curious, we have been working with Cole on the design of our RV for the past 6 months. They can't seem to get drawings right. Nothing that wouldn't be caught in production, such as specifying a 36" wide window in the end of a slide (slide depth is only 24"), a light mounted under the toilet. Are we being too picky, and should we go ahead and sign off on drawings. Unit suppose to go in production this week.
Cross27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
Get everything EXACTLY right!

Hello:

Even though our New Horizon is over 10 years old, I think it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to get everything right on the drawings before signing off. Believe it or not, even New Horizons RV's are not built "perfectly."

There will undoubtedly be things you find after delivery that surprise you and that you wanted built some other way.

My advice would be to keep doing the back and forth watching that the drawings sent to you don't somehow magically revert back to previous versions. Don't let yourself or NH fall into the "I want it now" or "We need a decision now" mentality.

You will be spending a lot of money and you need to be sure things are drawn EXACTLY the way you want it to be built.

Finally, if a problem comes up after delivery, if you don't have the drawings done the way you want them and you have signed off on them, NH can always tell you "That's what the drawings looked like and you signed off on them."

You wouldn't want that to happen.

So, my advice to you is to keep on swapping drawings and if Cole can't get it done right in a timely manner, tell Phil you want someone else takeover the job.

As the customer, you can always tell him you aren't satisfied. As the owner of the company, it is his job to make you happy.

Good Luck!
Tim & Carolyn #563
tpelzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
We had ours build in 2013 and worked with Cole. Yes some of the things on the drawings appeared out of sorts, like lights. We built two houses during our life time and even drew the plans on the last one so I know a little about plans. Looking at NH's plans, to me it appears they use generic plans and just change the main things you want changed from the basics. Lets say in a 40' Rig the lights, windows, cabinets and so on are going to be the same in every unit unless you want something changed. We had them build a special cabinet so we made sure that was on the plans and in an email. What we did was keep a running email list with Cole of all the things we wanted changed or questions we had. I'm happy to say our Rig is just what we wanted.

Like Tim and Carolyn said if you feel uncomfortable about something, now is the time to take care of it. Talk to Cole and go over all the things your worried about and make sure everything is in writing (email). If for some reason you still don't feel right, contact Phil and I guarantee your questions will be answer.

Good luck

Jim & Patty
JPFretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

I agree with what the others have said. Make sure the drawings are right. Those are the only thing production has to work with. Especially on major "different things".

Cole is pretty easy to work with and the most detailed oriented. Just keep after it. No need to contact Phil unless you are really unhappy, and if that is the case you should be discussing it with Cole first. Just my opinions.