RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Rear Slides Exterior Seal Issues

Has anyone (other than myself) noticed gaps on their exterior slide seals at the corners? I can see daylight coming through from the outside at the corners when both rear slides are retracted fully. Obviously this shouldn't be happening. On dusty roads, the dust makes it through this space. On wet roads, road dirt makes it inside and this is particularly true adjacent to and from under the fridge. Everytime I extend the slides I have to vac and/or mop the floors at these areas. I am able to REDUCE the amount of dirt coming in by stuffing towels in the gaps, but this is getting old and doesn't solve the problem. Anyone else have a similar experience? My unit is the Summit 37IK3S. The bedroom slide does not have this problem. I am currently on my way back through Canada from my Alaska trip and am considering, but don't particularly want, to drive to Kansas to have NH correct the problem.

Hans
__________________

Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 75
We initially had that problem on the dining and kitchen slides of our 2016 Majestic. Couldn't see any light, but dust was getting in during our trip to Alaska. The bottom seal sealed nicely when the slide was open, but not while the slide was closed. The slide raises up a bit when it closes and leaves a gap between the floor and the seal. NH added a strip of foam to the bottom of the slide near the square steel tubing which contacts the trailer floor and closes the gap when the slide is closed. The foam is maybe 1.5 or 2" square and runs the full length of the slide. They said they would make that standard, but maybe that piece was missed on your build.

NH will certainly fix it if you go there, but its not hard to do yourself if you're so inclined. If you climb under there (or look through the wheel well) when the slide is closed and look up where the slide floor meets the trailer, you can see where the gap is. Find an appropriate sized foam weather stripping and stick it in place on the bottom of the slide floor so it closes the gap. Be sure to clean the surfaces well before sticking it down.

If you're going to try it, let me know and I will go over to storage and take some photos for you.
__________________

Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
We initially had that problem on the dining and kitchen slides of our 2016 Majestic. Couldn't see any light, but dust was getting in during our trip to Alaska. The bottom seal sealed nicely when the slide was open, but not while the slide was closed. The slide raises up a bit when it closes and leaves a gap between the floor and the seal. NH added a strip of foam to the bottom of the slide near the square steel tubing which contacts the trailer floor and closes the gap when the slide is closed. The foam is maybe 1.5 or 2" square and runs the full length of the slide. They said they would make that standard, but maybe that piece was missed on your build.

NH will certainly fix it if you go there, but its not hard to do yourself if you're so inclined. If you climb under there (or look through the wheel well) when the slide is closed and look up where the slide floor meets the trailer, you can see where the gap is. Find an appropriate sized foam weather stripping and stick it in place on the bottom of the slide floor so it closes the gap. Be sure to clean the surfaces well before sticking it down.

If you're going to try it, let me know and I will go over to storage and take some photos for you.

While I probably do need additional foam weather stripping, it is all four corners of the slides that are giving me the biggest headache. I wish I could add some photos to illustrate. Also, when the slides are open I can see daylight on 3 of the 4 corners, not as much as when the slides are closed, but still some daylight just the same. I do need to get this fixed prior to winter.

Hans
Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 75
That sounds like the slides are not properly adjusted to go fully out and fully in. There is a compression seal on the outside that should be squished tight between the outside wall and the slide when the slide is closed. Likewise there is a compression seal on the inside that should be squished tight when the slide is open. Either the seals are missing, or have gaps, or the slide is not fully opening or closing.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrington View Post
That sounds like the slides are not properly adjusted to go fully out and fully in. There is a compression seal on the outside that should be squished tight between the outside wall and the slide when the slide is closed. Likewise there is a compression seal on the inside that should be squished tight when the slide is open. Either the seals are missing, or have gaps, or the slide is not fully opening or closing.
I suspect it may be a combination of all 3: possible missing seals, gaps (there are definitely gaps), and possibly not fully opening and closing. I will have to get in contact with Ken once I cross the border into the lower 48. Right now my upload bandwidth in Canada is extremely limited so sending him pictures will have to wait until I have an active MiFi again. In the meantime I'll keep stuffing the holes for travel, then vac and mop once the slides are extended.
Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
HDrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the road fulltime
Posts: 676
How the heck do you get back in there with the slides in to put towels in place ???? Asks a fat man to a thin man LOL!!!!
__________________
Dave & Diane
40' New Horizon (New Horizon Ambassador) / 2018 Ram 5500 w/ Classy Chassis Hauler Bed
https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
How the heck do you get back in there with the slides in to put towels in place ???? Asks a fat man to a thin man LOL!!!!
Very simple. I've arranged my dinette slide so that when I travel I can easily move back to the couch. First I pull in the galley slide and stuff in the two towels. Then the dinette slide with its two towels. Rather not have to be doing this. Called Ken and sent him pictures of the outside slide seals. Definitely some gaps there but he says he can't be certain what else is happening until he can actually have a look at it. Looks like I will be doing this until early May when I plan to head to Junction City. BTW, you still in Oregon? I will be in Grants Pass for 2 weeks beginning Oct 2 when I have an appointment with your shop to get the alignment done.
Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
HDrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the road fulltime
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans45 View Post
Very simple. I've arranged my dinette slide so that when I travel I can easily move back to the couch. First I pull in the galley slide and stuff in the two towels. Then the dinette slide with its two towels. Rather not have to be doing this. Called Ken and sent him pictures of the outside slide seals. Definitely some gaps there but he says he can't be certain what else is happening until he can actually have a look at it. Looks like I will be doing this until early May when I plan to head to Junction City. BTW, you still in Oregon? I will be in Grants Pass for 2 weeks beginning Oct 2 when I have an appointment with your shop to get the alignment done.
We will be in Grants Pass until the 16th. Where are you staying? Will need to get together..
__________________
Dave & Diane
40' New Horizon (New Horizon Ambassador) / 2018 Ram 5500 w/ Classy Chassis Hauler Bed
https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
We will be in Grants Pass until the 16th. Where are you staying? Will need to get together..
I'll be staying at Riverpark RV for sure until the 12th and possibly the 16th. I have an appointment with Henderson's on the morning of the 2nd and will be checking into Riverpark that afternoon. So let's get together before you head for Arizona and I for Texas.
__________________

Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
seal, slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you use to seal your exterior body seams? questvent Rexhall RV Owner's Forum 10 04-05-2019 10:08 AM
Exterior Slide Out Seal Traildust 5th Wheel Discussion 2 05-21-2013 05:16 PM
Has anyone tried LeakSeal/Mighty Seal/Seal It/ etc spray sealants? baloo Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 01-31-2013 05:46 PM
Slide Seal Glue and Seal "flipper" LewF Monaco Owner's Forum 6 01-06-2012 08:48 AM
2005 Exterior door brace and rubber seal Dave Stanley Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 3 08-24-2010 03:06 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×