Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Sadly, it's time to move on.

The time has come for us to put up our 2003 up for sale. My husband had a stroke 3 years ago, this is our second year out and it's gotten too much for me. He can no longer drive and has more health issues every day. I was wondering, how is the best way to sell it. Should I take it to Kansas for a better chance or just post in one of the many rv classified magazines? Any suggestions, would be very much appreciated.
RVGrandma100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm sorry to hear health issues have lead to you giving up RV-ing. You never know, though, things can change.

Anyway, please feel free to post your RV for sale in our Classifieds section. It's free. Also place ads in your local papers. You can put it on consignment with a dealer. Be wary of internet sites like Craig's List or eBay. While they are good venues & many have success, you will also get contacted by scammers wanting to rip you off, so you'll have to be very careful with those dealings. Good luck!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVGrandma100,
Sorry to hear that you will be leaving the road. For me, I'd post the coach in every RV selling site you can find. The more exposure the better. Beware, you will get inquiries from all kinds of people trying to rip you off. Consider using a bonded third party closing agent.

How about considering this idea. Is there a CG within a comfortable driving distance and at a place you and hubby would like to visit, on a regular basis? If this is true, seasonal rates are usually pretty reasonable. One could park the coach at the CG and leave it there. Then drive to the CG when you feel like it and as long as you feel like it. The coach now serves as your cottage in the country or by the lake, etc. If not driving the coach, maintenance goes to a minimum. Insurance is also much less, etc.

Good luck as you move forward.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
RVGrandma100,
Sorry to hear about your husbands medical condition and having to sell your RV. You can advertise your rig in the classified section here on irv2 or on other sites like rvonline.com. The other option is to put it on consignment with a dealer. Also, PPLmotorhomes in Houston, TX is very successful at selling RV's because of their large exposure and year round good weather. It won't be long before people will be thinking of buying RV's to get them ready to use for the summer months so you have picked a good time to sell. Good luck!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

We found our rig though the local paper. If you price it realistically enough, as the previous owner of ours did, it will sell. We were the fifth people to look at it in a week and I was the first one the owner figured would be able to drive it. My having been a transit coach driver clinched it for him. We also agreed to his asking price without haggling because it was so reasonable.

One prospective customer was 80, used a walker and an oxygen bottle but was convinced he'd be fine!

I would recommend, as other people have posted, to get someone you can trust to assist when necessary in the negotiations. Unless things get really discouraging, I wouldn't consign it. You'll barely get half of the NADA price.

Very sorry to hear that you're having to give up the lifestyle. Best wishes.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Sadly, it's time to move on.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I have started looking online at a few things and now am quite confused. We have a New Horizons 5th wheel, built for full timing so it will be more of a selected market, not for weekending. The factory is in Kansas and they accept units for sale there. I am thinking that may be a better place to put the unit.
RVGrandma100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your husband. We live just outside junction city, Kansas and I'm not sure that you would get any better deal here. Prices for RVs are way down and not many folks are looking to spend the kind of money you have to to buy a NH. Dn't know anything about the sales lot other than it's tucked away off the beaten path so you would not get much drive by traffic. They may have a clientele list though that could produce leads. I would recommend you list on Craigs list in the major cities as well as at New Horizons
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #8

If you have the time and expertise to do so, listing on ebay might be a good approach too. A friend sold his motor home on ebay, he lived in Elkhart, IN and the buyer lived in OR. I've heard a lot of negative things about craigslist.
If you put your 5er with the factory in Kansas, you know lookers will be receptive to your pricing, as NH are a quality unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

If you want to sell it , go to WWW.RVTRADERONLINE.COM, and get their phone number, then CALL THEM UP. Do not put your ad on the internet. If you do, it only gets published in the basic area where you are.

If you call them , they will putyou in tou ch with their dept that advertises all over the U.S.

You are right in that your rv is a highly looked for unit, and you MUST reach every buyer that you can.

No one, reaches as many buyers as rvtrader does.

Since craigs list is free, why not there too? Just be sure you use either their email add or get a new one from Yahoo just for the sale.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Have you looked into posting on the Escapees forum? They have a section "For Sale/To Buy" and there does seem to be a good success rate. Have seen other NH rigs for sale there and they have sold.

Good luck and best wishes.
dale60 is offline   Reply With Quote