Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Sub 30' custom fifthwheel

Does New Horizons build sub 30' custon fifth wheel trailers any more? I currently full time in a 2004 28' New Horizons Fifth Wheel (my second New Horizons fifth wheel) and want to replace it. We like to stay in Forest Service campgrounds and a 43' Majestic won't fit.
mwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Building a luxury coach takes a certain amount of space and that minimum threshold appears to be about 32'. I kept the floor plan jpg's of the old Excel 26 and 28 RT models that were ideal for national forest camping, but there seems not enough interest in it to pay a design team to make it a cookie cutter design.

We miss our old 28RGO and some of the fun places we took it, when we went to our (33RSE) 35' model we had to quit camp hosting in some of our favorite places as it would not fit. Our current 23' TT keeps us enjoying the NFS until we figure out our next move when we go full-timing again.

We are more into quality adventure than we are into luxury accommodations, albeit we are not as young anymore but still like our scenery. There is no right or wrong, but our favorite NFS campground is just a stone throw from one of our gold claims and has a sign that says maximum RV size 30' due to the tight corners with 26-28' gives breathing room. The mass produced 5W's in the 26-30' range are pure junk as I see them all of the time at consignment sales nearby to our campground.

Unless you can make a 32' FP work for you, you will have to keep looking for that niche market of quality 5W's in the 28' range that used to be commonplace 18 years ago.

Best of luck on your search!

Dave
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Ask.... The nice thing about NH is that a challenge is usually accepted!
If by chance the answer is no, call Spacecraft.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

I see this post is older but I feel the urge to pipe in. We currently own an Excel limited that we love and didn't have any intention to sell until we discovered its 33' length keeps us out of some of the places we'd like to see. We own our Excel because we prefer quality over access and eventually it will serve as our home. Sounds crazy but, we are now shopping for a smaller tt to use on those expeditions where we know the Excel will limit us. In the meantime we will continue looking for a smaller quality 5er.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaite View Post
Does New Horizons build sub 30' custon fifth wheel trailers any more? I currently full time in a 2004 28' New Horizons Fifth Wheel (my second New Horizons fifth wheel) and want to replace it. We like to stay in Forest Service campgrounds and a 43' Majestic won't fit.
Mwaite -

There are so many positives about New Horizons. Somehow, even without asking Cole, Drew, or Bryan, I cannot see that New Horizons would hesitate building any size RV that you desired. New Horizons is a custom builder! Even to the point of producing their own frames!

For example, I requested a specific modification for the frame of my 39' Majestic. No problem. Somehow, I just don't see that there would be a problem for your request. But you should only accept an answer from a New Horizons representative.

I would encourage you not to take Forum information, not even mine, but actually call New Horizons and ask for Cole or Drew Brokenicky. These gentlemen WILL (note, not should) be able to give you an answer.

I partially base this answer on "Big Red" and soon to be featured on Extreme RVs. This was a much larger, longer, more exotic fiver . . . just amazing. If New Horizons could build "Big Red", they could probably build a 5' fiver! It is a custom building company.

Please know, all disclaimers apply. I am a customer of New Horizons. I am not an employee nor a representative. I have absolutely no connection with New Horizons except that as a customer/client. There are only three people who can give you a definitive answer: Cole, Drew, or Bryan. I would encourage you to contact them.

Only my own two cents.

Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

Very well said Ron.

Jon
roadtrip42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #7

In 2004, I had New Horizons build 28' now extinct "Classic model" fifth wheel with a front window, custom floor plan and no slideouts. It cost about $52,000 the UVW was 9360 lbs. We have lived in it full time for 14 years but it is getting old so last month I asked Cole to configure an fifthwheel as close as possible to our current trailer. He came up with a 32' hybrid Majestic (so the floor plan could be customiized) on a Summit frame (so that the trailer would have better ground clearance and lower overall height). They could not include a front window because they now use a curved front cap on all of their models. The Classic models had a fiberglass roof which curved down the front providing a flat area where a window could be installed. The trailer that Cole configured would have a rubber instead of fiberglass roof and would an estimated weight 15,000 lbs. We have about 3000 lbs of cargo so the trailer would be too heavy for our 2015 F350 6.7 SRW Truck. He estimated that cost would be over $180,000 which is a lot of money for a 32' fifthwheel but I quess building a custom trailer if much more exensive than it use to be.

mwaite
mwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
Commercial Member

new horizons build a very nice 5w coach. they dont cut corners, and the finished product shows it. i've only looked at three different trailers, but what i saw was impressive.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh