RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
One there thing on the 400 version of the compressor. The specs say
Duty Cycle: 33% @ 100 PSI
Those big Goodyears will need 110-120 LBS depending on your weight.

OK, now I'm really rethinking this whole issue. And I've been studying all the other compressors on the Viair site. I guess I was just doing like sheep do when they put the letters "RV" beside the model number, then obviously that's what I should be looking at????...lol Honestly, I would just put my Makita compressor in the cargo bay if it were not so heavy. That would be the most economical way to solve the issue but 80lbs vs 10-13lbs is a big difference. What model compressor are you using and what size tank? I notice the 2.5 gallon tank is rated for 200PSI.

shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #30

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill View Post
OK, now I'm really rethinking this whole issue. And I've been studying all the other compressors on the Viair site. I guess I was just doing like sheep do when they put the letters "RV" beside the model number, then obviously that's what I should be looking at????...lol Honestly, I would just put my Makita compressor in the cargo bay if it were not so heavy. That would be the most economical way to solve the issue but 80lbs vs 10-13lbs is a big difference. What model compressor are you using and what size tank? I notice the 2.5 gallon tank is rated for 200PSI.
The specs might say 33%, but that means you have about 20 min vs. 60 min before it shuts off. Having said that, the 400 series inflates tires faster than the 450 series and as one review stated "if you need more than 20 min to inflate than you have other problems."

Hans

Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #31

I know I will be taking my Porter Cable pancake that we have been using for the last few years in the motor home. It's not the smallest but I own it and I know it will more than won't be job.
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150
40' New Horizon 5th wheel on order
https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #32

33% at 100 PSI but the duty cycle is reduced at higher pressures. I'd guess most NH trailers are running at 110 to 120 LBS. I'd settle for a slightly lower CFM rating and not stress the compressor to the point it overheats. Just my view.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #33

Porter Cable pancake compressor. 150psi. Does everything you will want to do. On sale at Lowe's right now for $99
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
I know I will be taking my Porter Cable pancake that we have been using for the last few years in the motor home. It's not the smallest but I own it and I know it will more than won't be job.
Hmm, not sure hat happened there, it should have said " it will more than DO THE job"
Old 01-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #35

I've been using this upright Porter Cable compressor in my NH for several years. Its light, does 150 psi, and the upright design minimizes floor space. The tank is only 1.5 gallons, but that's why its small and light. It has a good flow of 2.0 CFM, so it doesn't take long to top up a tire. I find it perfect for my RV and highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...3APORTER-CABLE
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
Another thing you can be working through is what you will do about a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) if you do not already utilize one. I cannot imagine RV travel without the piece of mind that all my pressures remain good throughout the day. Once you incorporate one into your system you will wonder how you did without. I recommend the TST 507.
I realize the flames I will probably get for saying this, but IMHO, TPMS systems that mount on the stem are not only worthless but dangerous. I have no experience with TPMS systems that have the sensors embedded inside the rims.

My reason? Some 40 miles east of Butte, MT (when we had a DRV Elite Suites), we heard a very loud "bang". (i drive around 60mph and use the cruise control to keep the speed at 60.) I looked in the side mirror and saw the driver's side rear tire on the FW throwing road gators everywhere! I took my foot off the accelerator and started slowing and pulling over to the shoulder. When we were down around 10 mph on the shoulder and suddenly the TST 507 monitor started beeping and announcing a problem. Really?

In the five years we had the DRV, and four years of using the TST TPMS, I noticed a four separate sensor Schrader valve leaks, one before the blowout. I probably spent more on replacement "flow thru sensors" that the whole system cost new! When I found both passenger side flow thru sensors leaking through the Schrader valve, I took them all off and put the TST 507 where I thought it belonged. Please note: This system had only the "flow thru" sensors. I found these sensors had very little response to tire air temperature - it never agreed to my infrared temperature gun. These sensors did agree within 4 psi with the truck tire pressure gauge. But, from my own experience, they are totally worthless for catastrophic tire failure.

Another side note: DRV recommended Load Rated J tires for our Elite Suites. However, the DRV factory put Goodrich Load Rated H tires on our coach. When I complained and approached them after the destruction, their response was that the Load Rated H tires had a higher speed rating! When I replaced the other 3 Load Rated H tires, the mechanic pointed out the fissures that showed how the tire tread was separating from the tire sidewall. And this was a DRV still family built! Before Thor took over!

So, IMHO, an infrared temperature gun and a truck tire pressure gauge included with regular tire rotation (especially on 3 "axle" models) and common sense overrule anything a TPMS could do!

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #37

I consider tire balancing to be important too. When we ordered our New Horizons, I also ordered "balancing beads" to be dropped shipped to NH to be installed inside the Load Rated J Michelin tires. All six tires on the ground plus the spare! So, no matter how the geometry of the tire changes with wear, the balancing bead system will keep the RV tires balanced.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 01-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #38

I've had a couple different tire pressure monitors. The one I like now is the EEZRV system. It is still mounted on the valve, but as long as you have steel valves rather than rubber, they are not a problem. I've never had a leak issue caused by the sensor. The reason I like the EEZRV model is that it can get status from the tires while they are sitting still. Most others don't get an update until the tires rotate for a while. So I can turn on the monitor at the breakfast table, and know the pressure in all my tires before we leave the campsite. Since getting the EEZRV system, I don't need to climb under the slides to check with the gauge every morning - love it!

I compared all my sensors on one tire to see how consistent they were. All were the exact same reading. I have not had a tire issue (touch wood), so I don't don't know how fast they would react. But when I remove a sensor, it activates the monitor within one or two seconds, so I believe it is fast reacting.

I am also using the balancing beads. Far cheaper than mechanical balancing, and they automatically adjust for tire wear. Haven't had them long enough to know how well they work, but comments from everyone online was very positive. I just added them along with the mechanical balance weights that were already installed.
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #39

We have been using the TST brand monitoring system for about the last 4 years on our motorhome and have had absolutely no issues with it so far.
I opted to NOT have the flow through unit's and have found that I have to mess with the air pressure so few times that it's no big deal to just take them off to add air, oh by the way I took off the anti-tamper ring so it's just twist off by finger, no tool needed.
I guess the only issue I did have was that because we are in a 42' motorhome we would lose the signal from he passenger side rear tire on the toad now and again (not always) so a repeater was need to fix the issue.
I plan to take this system with us and use it on the NH when we get it.

The TST does not require the tires to be rotating, I too like to turn on the system on travel day mornings and know what's going on with them before I ever start the day.
For the first couple months I would still go out and check the pressure with my hand held to make sure things were working right but after a short while I learned to just trust them.
For the record we have never had a tire issue while going down the road so I can't report on how fast they are but we did have a leaky valve stem one time and it caught the low pressure at start up.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #40

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
I consider tire balancing to be important too. When we ordered our New Horizons, I also ordered "balancing beads" to be dropped shipped to NH to be installed inside the Load Rated J Michelin tires. All six tires on the ground plus the spare! So, no matter how the geometry of the tire changes with wear, the balancing bead system will keep the RV tires balanced.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Ron, how many oz. of the beads did you use per tire and which brand did you use? Also, what made you go to the 'J' tire?

Hans
Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #41

Triple E Owners Club
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post

Just my two cents,
Ron
We too, made a conscious decision to NOT go with a TPMS. Not due to $$$ but because technology sometimes fails. In the sense of tires, (all thatís keeping us glued to the road), ďsometimes failuresĒ can be the difference in outcomes. Should we (us) depend on technology too much, then iím probably not being vigilant enough paying attention to our tire temps a few times when we stop and Iím probably not walking around the rig as often as I should be, or otherwise would be....
We also had the tire bead balancing done when we replaced the 4 rear tires in November. Not sure what amount of beading that was installed, but if I remember correctly, it was about $15 per tire.

Cheers

DJ
Old 01-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans45 View Post
Ron, how many oz. of the beads did you use per tire and which brand did you use? Also, what made you go to the 'J' tire?

Hans
Hans45 -

I used the recommended "packets" of beads from Innovative Balancing. I ordered the beads, had them drop shipped to NH who installed them in the tires, including the spare.

When I had the Load Rated H tires replaced on the Elite Suites, Lisacs Tire, Butte, MT, used the beads in the 4 replacement tires on the ES. I saw and noted the supplier. So, when we ordered the Majestic, balancing beads from Innovative Balancing was a requirement. (See above.)

So, why Load J tires. On our size Majestic, the standard "axles" and tires were 7K "axles" and 16" tires. No, not for me! I changed that to 8K "pair" MoRyde IS suspension with 17.5" rim tires with disc brakes. Think about this: the 17.5" tire has a larger circumference thus fewer revolutions per mile and thus cooler running. The larger diameter tires means a larger rotor on disc brakes and thus more braking and cooler brakes. And, because I am OCD, the higher load rating of the suspension satisfies me. Now, why Load Rated J? Because, the sidewall/tread rating is higher. The sidewall support rating of the Michelin tire is well above the required rating to keep my Majestic supported . . . period. These are 18 ply tires! I won't have to worry about the tread/sidewall separation that happened in our ES!

Note: The indication that the sidewall/tread separation is occurring is that the fifth wheel WILL FISHTAIL! It happened to me! Don't think that FW do not fishtail! If they do, park it and get new tires!

My thoughts were "upheld" by friends who live in Ardmore, OK and work at the Michelin plant in Ardmore, OK. It is so ironic, when I was young (in Oklahoma) and fell in love with Michelin, they were only manufactured in Ireland. And now today, I still have a love for Michelin, and now they are manufactured in Oklahoma! (Have you noticed, many Goodyear tires are manufactured in China?) I will say, buy American! Buy Michelin!

Just my two cents,

Ron