Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #1

Truck Hauler Beds

Just curious as to which company is being used the most for installing hauler beds and why. I know there are quite a few folks in the NH family who are using Ram 5500's with hauler beds and I believe I've also seen a few Ford F550's. I'd like to know if I decide to go that route who provides the best product and service? The two I am aware of from reading are Utility Bodywerks and Classy Chassis. Any recommendations?
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

I have been on both sites many times and have gotten price and build sheets from both. It's really hard for me to se any real differences between those two. For me it will be which provides the most storage AND the most fuel combined. I know the Utility Bodyworkz has a pass through compartment feature behind the bed and I don't see that Classy does but then by adding a fuel cell there it takes that away.
It might be 2 stock fuel cells and the pass through for us that wins out.
We will be very interested in what people here have to say. I didn't see where Classy does the Kelderman air ride system either which might be of interest to us but I might have missed that.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

I went with Tom Martin at Classy Chassis. We picked up our new 38 Majestic and Ram 5500 in March of this year.

First off, my experience with New Horizons was a joy. We love our unit and you will not find a higher quality build. Every time I look t it I become more and more please with the decision. Do your homework and document everything as the process is no different then building a home.

On the truck, do not concern yourself with the fact that the 5500 is derated with slightly lower HP. I went from a 2015 F350 and the 5500 could not have met my needs any better. We summer in Colorado and the Cummins engine brake appears to slow the rig better than the Ford and I never noticed the difference in HP and torque. The air system makes the truck a joy to drive especially empty. A major factor going with Tom was that he acquired the truck from Ram which Utility Bodyworks did not. I would have had to go through the truck purchasing process. After starting with Tom, it was clear I made the right choice.

Good Luck you are going to love it.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
I went with Tom Martin at Classy Chassis. We picked up our new 38 Majestic and Ram 5500 in March of this year.

First off, my experience with New Horizons was a joy. We love our unit and you will not find a higher quality build. Every time I look t it I become more and more please with the decision. Do your homework and document everything as the process is no different then building a home.

On the truck, do not concern yourself with the fact that the 5500 is derated with slightly lower HP. I went from a 2015 F350 and the 5500 could not have met my needs any better. We summer in Colorado and the Cummins engine brake appears to slow the rig better than the Ford and I never noticed the difference in HP and torque. The air system makes the truck a joy to drive especially empty. A major factor going with Tom was that he acquired the truck from Ram which Utility Bodyworks did not. I would have had to go through the truck purchasing process. After starting with Tom, it was clear I made the right choice.

Good Luck you are going to love it.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds pretty interesting, Greg. Did you go to Valparaiso initially? Or did you pickup the truck in Valparaiso? Did they take your f350 in trade? Just wondering about the logistics with us living in Florida/SE GA and building a fifth wheel in Junction City KS and maybe doing truck business in IN.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Yes picked up the truck at CC facility. Tom took my F350 on trade and provided a very favorable offer. A very easy experience. We coordinated the pick up of the truck with the pick up of the NH RV. Obviously a big week but all went well. If you would like more detailed info feel free to PM me a phone number and I will be happy to chat with you about the entire experience.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

We choose Utility Bodywerks and have been very happy. If we were to make the same purchase today, we would use Utility Bodywerks.

Tom at Utility Bodywerks connected us with a local dealership, whom we liked a lot, to purchase the truck. The dealership and Utility Bodywerks worked seamlessly together to deliver the completed truck.

Following is a link to an older thread, that provides some of the specifications that we had incorporated within our Utility Bodywerks hauler body: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f269/haul...as-189138.html
Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shill View Post
Just curious as to which company is being used the most for installing hauler beds and why. I know there are quite a few folks in the NH family who are using Ram 5500's with hauler beds and I believe I've also seen a few Ford F550's. I'd like to know if I decide to go that route who provides the best product and service? The two I am aware of from reading are Utility Bodywerks and Classy Chassis. Any recommendations?

Both build quality beds but after investigating both at some length and multiple discussion we choose Classy, twice. When we purchased the NH we needed a more capable truck so we replaced our first Classy Bed Chevy 3500HD with a second one on a Ram 5500HD.
I can't say enough good things about working with Tom at Classy. Both in the purchasing experience and service after the sale. IMO, and it is an opinion, the quality of the Classy build and the mounting of the hitch is "better." Also I preferred, twice, the purchasing of the truck via Classy. It simply made the transaction easier both times.
As pertains to the Ram 5500HD - It is the finest tow vehicle we've owned and we've been doing this a very long time. We have traveled all over the east and west coast mountains, just traveled, some 10% and one 14% grade with the rig. Simply no drama. No overheat going up and no issue coming down due to outstanding exhaust (turbro) brake.

Our 2 cents - twice.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
Both build quality beds but after investigating both at some length and multiple discussion we choose Classy, twice. When we purchased the NH we needed a more capable truck so we replaced our first Classy Bed Chevy 3500HD with a second one on a Ram 5500HD.
I can't say enough good things about working with Tom at Classy. Both in the purchasing experience and service after the sale. IMO, and it is an opinion, the quality of the Classy build and the mounting of the hitch is "better." Also I preferred, twice, the purchasing of the truck via Classy. It simply made the transaction easier both times.
As pertains to the Ram 5500HD - It is the finest tow vehicle we've owned and we've been doing this a very long time. We have traveled all over the east and west coast mountains, just traveled, some 10% and one 14% grade with the rig. Simply no drama. No overheat going up and no issue coming down due to outstanding exhaust (turbro) brake.

Our 2 cents - twice.

I have spoken with Tom at Classy Chassis and he sent me some figures. Honestly, I almost choked at the price even though I know that the 5500 is the premier tow vehicle short of a semi. Everybody I have spoken with who owns and tows with a Ram 5500 speaks very highly of their experience. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but since I just bought my '17 F450 last November, I don't really relish the idea of paying a huge difference. It's almost like paying for another f450 on top.....
Old 10-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #9

You need to go to the HDT rally in hutchinson,ks next week (I think) just to look at some real trucks. I think someone may even let you drive one. If I was spending that much money I would want to take some test drives myself.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
You need to go to the HDT rally in hutchinson,ks next week (I think) just to look at some real trucks. I think someone may even let you drive one. If I was spending that much money I would want to take some test drives myself.

I second that. The rally is Oct 14-20th.

I jumped up from a 07 2500 HD Chevy with a duramax to a 03 Freightliner Columbia. No more stress. Set the cruise and roll. No matter what the hills look like.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:

Our 2 cents - twice.
I'm another one interested in the Ram 5500 chassis cab from either Utility Bodywerks or Classy Chassis. Even though this thread is closing in on two years, this is a great thread with significant and helpful information.

All of you on this thread have likely driven up the 6%, 10% plus grades in the West. The feedback thus far is that the Ram 5500 does well driving up and down the steep grades.

Now that each of you have had experience for quite some time, what is the realistic decrease in speed going up these steep grades. For example, easily towing your NH's 65mph on a flat highway, how does that compare to what the chassis cab does when towing up the 6%-10% grade highways? 50, 45, 40, 35mph? Thank you for any real world experience vs what the chassis cab "should be able to do".

Also, has anyone added a Viair on board truck mounted air compressor/s to their chassis cab separate from the installed Kelderman leveling system air compressor? I will use the Viair to fill truck and 5th wheel tires. I'm interested in what size Viair tank/s you installed and how that is working for you?
goldiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #12

Truck Hauler Beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiem View Post

"All of you on this thread have likely driven up the 6%, 10% plus grades in the West. The feedback thus far is that the Ram 5500 does well driving up and down the steep grades.

Now that each of you have had experience for quite some time, what is the realistic decrease in speed going up these steep grades. For example, easily towing your NH's 65mph on a flat highway, how does that compare to what the chassis cab does when towing up the 6%-10% grade highways? 50, 45, 40, 35mph? Thank you for any real world experience vs what the chassis cab "should be able to do".".............
---------------

Naturally it depends on the grade and the weight. "Francy Gap" in VA is a 6-7% grade for about 7 miles or so and we do it at ~55 most of the way up. In Canadian Maritimes around Gaspe' where one comes out of a town at 35 and immediately there is significant climb it might not make it to 55 MPH. Out west we've always been able to outrun the semi's on I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff where that climb goes on "forever." It just depends on the grade, weight and driver.

Here's the point IMO: it doesn't matter. The truck will not overheat and the transmission never gets hot. That's what matters. Not if you can go up a grade 5 MPH faster with a truck with a bigger HP rating but is not properly spec-ed to carry the weight on the rear axle or control the the trailer. Think "pickup" regardless of the max tow rating; which is not the primary number to look at anyway. The commercial engines are de-rated for a purpose - longevity and dependability. Not overall speed.

At he bottom of a grade I normally put the cruse control on, set it to 65, and then let the truck do what it can. At the end of the climb you will be ahead of most semi's and likely most RV's. It might cost you 30 seconds over doing it solo. Because, as I said, the truck will not overheat nor will the transmission temps go up nor will it leave you on the side of the road. It's powerful and safe. That's all that matters. You will also have no trouble accelerating to join traffic on a ramp.

This is a commercial built truck, with a commercial grade transmission and engine properly geared to tow, offering an extremely comfortable cab. It is built to last and do the job all day long, day-after-day, without fuss. One can run it wide open all the way up the hill without concern and the truck will select the proper gear and do the climb. Just steer and enjoy the ride while watching all the gauges stay in the green.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #13

Well said!
Burrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
---------------

Naturally it depends on the grade and the weight. "Francy Gap" in VA is a 6-7% grade for about 7 miles or so and we do it at ~55 most of the way up. In Canadian Maritimes around Gaspe' where one comes out of a town at 35 and immediately there is significant climb it might not make it to 55 MPH. Out west we've always been able to outrun the semi's on I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff where that climb goes on "forever." It just depends on the grade, weight and driver.

Here's the point IMO: it doesn't matter. The truck will not overheat and the transmission never gets hot. That's what matters. Not if you can go up a grade 5 MPH faster with a truck with a bigger HP rating but is not properly spec-ed to carry the weight on the rear axle or control the the trailer. Think "pickup" regardless of the max tow rating; which is not the primary number to look at anyway. The commercial engines are de-rated for a purpose - longevity and dependability. Not overall speed.

At he bottom of a grade I normally put the cruse control on, set it to 65, and then let the truck do what it can. At the end of the climb you will be ahead of most semi's and likely most RV's. It might cost you 30 seconds over doing it solo. Because, as I said, the truck will not overheat nor will the transmission temps go up nor will it leave you on the side of the road. It's powerful and safe. That's all that matters. You will also have no trouble accelerating to join traffic on a ramp.

This is a commercial built truck, with a commercial grade transmission and engine properly geared to tow, offering an extremely comfortable cab. It is built to last and do the job all day long, day-after-day, without fuss. One can run it wide open all the way up the hill without concern and the truck will select the proper gear and do the climb. Just steer and enjoy the ride while watching all the gauges stay in the green.
Yup, that about sums it up. We have had our Ram 5500 and New Horizon combo for a little over a year now and have loved the comfort it provides and effortless pulling out on the flats and rolling countryside's, and even though not like rolling through the flatlands I love the comfort I have learned to trust that it provides knowing it will handle the tough grades going up and up and up without fear of overheating or blowing itself up like others have commented. And more importantly I like knowing that with a little common sense it will hold the load back pretty darn good going down the other side.
I don't feel we made a mistake in any way by getting what we did.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote