RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 116
Truck Hauler Beds

Just curious as to which company is being used the most for installing hauler beds and why. I know there are quite a few folks in the NH family who are using Ram 5500's with hauler beds and I believe I've also seen a few Ford F550's. I'd like to know if I decide to go that route who provides the best product and service? The two I am aware of from reading are Utility Bodywerks and Classy Chassis. Any recommendations?
__________________

shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
HDrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the road fulltime
Posts: 513
I have been on both sites many times and have gotten price and build sheets from both. It's really hard for me to se any real differences between those two. For me it will be which provides the most storage AND the most fuel combined. I know the Utility Bodyworkz has a pass through compartment feature behind the bed and I don't see that Classy does but then by adding a fuel cell there it takes that away.
It might be 2 stock fuel cells and the pass through for us that wins out.
We will be very interested in what people here have to say. I didn't see where Classy does the Kelderman air ride system either which might be of interest to us but I might have missed that.
__________________

__________________
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150
40' New Horizon 5th wheel on order
https://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
I went with Tom Martin at Classy Chassis. We picked up our new 38 Majestic and Ram 5500 in March of this year.

First off, my experience with New Horizons was a joy. We love our unit and you will not find a higher quality build. Every time I look t it I become more and more please with the decision. Do your homework and document everything as the process is no different then building a home.

On the truck, do not concern yourself with the fact that the 5500 is derated with slightly lower HP. I went from a 2015 F350 and the 5500 could not have met my needs any better. We summer in Colorado and the Cummins engine brake appears to slow the rig better than the Ford and I never noticed the difference in HP and torque. The air system makes the truck a joy to drive especially empty. A major factor going with Tom was that he acquired the truck from Ram which Utility Bodyworks did not. I would have had to go through the truck purchasing process. After starting with Tom, it was clear I made the right choice.

Good Luck you are going to love it.
__________________
Gregk
2018 New Horizon 38 Majestic
2018 Ram 5500 Hauler
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
I went with Tom Martin at Classy Chassis. We picked up our new 38 Majestic and Ram 5500 in March of this year.

First off, my experience with New Horizons was a joy. We love our unit and you will not find a higher quality build. Every time I look t it I become more and more please with the decision. Do your homework and document everything as the process is no different then building a home.

On the truck, do not concern yourself with the fact that the 5500 is derated with slightly lower HP. I went from a 2015 F350 and the 5500 could not have met my needs any better. We summer in Colorado and the Cummins engine brake appears to slow the rig better than the Ford and I never noticed the difference in HP and torque. The air system makes the truck a joy to drive especially empty. A major factor going with Tom was that he acquired the truck from Ram which Utility Bodyworks did not. I would have had to go through the truck purchasing process. After starting with Tom, it was clear I made the right choice.

Good Luck you are going to love it.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds pretty interesting, Greg. Did you go to Valparaiso initially? Or did you pickup the truck in Valparaiso? Did they take your f350 in trade? Just wondering about the logistics with us living in Florida/SE GA and building a fifth wheel in Junction City KS and maybe doing truck business in IN.
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 130
Yes picked up the truck at CC facility. Tom took my F350 on trade and provided a very favorable offer. A very easy experience. We coordinated the pick up of the truck with the pick up of the NH RV. Obviously a big week but all went well. If you would like more detailed info feel free to PM me a phone number and I will be happy to chat with you about the entire experience.
__________________
Gregk
2018 New Horizon 38 Majestic
2018 Ram 5500 Hauler
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
We choose Utility Bodywerks and have been very happy. If we were to make the same purchase today, we would use Utility Bodywerks.

Tom at Utility Bodywerks connected us with a local dealership, whom we liked a lot, to purchase the truck. The dealership and Utility Bodywerks worked seamlessly together to deliver the completed truck.

Following is a link to an older thread, that provides some of the specifications that we had incorporated within our Utility Bodywerks hauler body: Hauler Body Design/Extras
__________________
2014 New Horizons Majestic 40'
2014 Ram 5500 HD with Utility Bodywerks hauler body
ExcitedToRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill View Post
Just curious as to which company is being used the most for installing hauler beds and why. I know there are quite a few folks in the NH family who are using Ram 5500's with hauler beds and I believe I've also seen a few Ford F550's. I'd like to know if I decide to go that route who provides the best product and service? The two I am aware of from reading are Utility Bodywerks and Classy Chassis. Any recommendations?

Both build quality beds but after investigating both at some length and multiple discussion we choose Classy, twice. When we purchased the NH we needed a more capable truck so we replaced our first Classy Bed Chevy 3500HD with a second one on a Ram 5500HD.
I can't say enough good things about working with Tom at Classy. Both in the purchasing experience and service after the sale. IMO, and it is an opinion, the quality of the Classy build and the mounting of the hitch is "better." Also I preferred, twice, the purchasing of the truck via Classy. It simply made the transaction easier both times.
As pertains to the Ram 5500HD - It is the finest tow vehicle we've owned and we've been doing this a very long time. We have traveled all over the east and west coast mountains, just traveled, some 10% and one 14% grade with the rig. Simply no drama. No overheat going up and no issue coming down due to outstanding exhaust (turbro) brake.

Our 2 cents - twice.
DTVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVGuy View Post
Both build quality beds but after investigating both at some length and multiple discussion we choose Classy, twice. When we purchased the NH we needed a more capable truck so we replaced our first Classy Bed Chevy 3500HD with a second one on a Ram 5500HD.
I can't say enough good things about working with Tom at Classy. Both in the purchasing experience and service after the sale. IMO, and it is an opinion, the quality of the Classy build and the mounting of the hitch is "better." Also I preferred, twice, the purchasing of the truck via Classy. It simply made the transaction easier both times.
As pertains to the Ram 5500HD - It is the finest tow vehicle we've owned and we've been doing this a very long time. We have traveled all over the east and west coast mountains, just traveled, some 10% and one 14% grade with the rig. Simply no drama. No overheat going up and no issue coming down due to outstanding exhaust (turbro) brake.

Our 2 cents - twice.



I have spoken with Tom at Classy Chassis and he sent me some figures. Honestly, I almost choked at the price even though I know that the 5500 is the premier tow vehicle short of a semi. Everybody I have spoken with who owns and tows with a Ram 5500 speaks very highly of their experience. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but since I just bought my '17 F450 last November, I don't really relish the idea of paying a huge difference. It's almost like paying for another f450 on top.....
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 301
You need to go to the HDT rally in hutchinson,ks next week (I think) just to look at some real trucks. I think someone may even let you drive one. If I was spending that much money I would want to take some test drives myself.
__________________
2014 Volvo 630 Heren Bed ET Hitch
2017 New Horizons Majestic 35 foot
Mountain Master motorcycle loader
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
You need to go to the HDT rally in hutchinson,ks next week (I think) just to look at some real trucks. I think someone may even let you drive one. If I was spending that much money I would want to take some test drives myself.

I second that. The rally is Oct 14-20th.



I jumped up from a 07 2500 HD Chevy with a duramax to a 03 Freightliner Columbia. No more stress. Set the cruise and roll. No matter what the hills look like.
__________________

__________________
93 Jayco RK 325, 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base, 07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Gear Box Toy Hauler How raise & lower rear beds philgood1 Toy Haulers Discussion 0 09-05-2017 02:40 PM
Looking at Toy Hauler 5th wheel, need truck advice FatboyM Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 35 11-30-2014 02:20 AM
Truck and Toy Hauler in the Magazine! norcalrockhunter Toy Haulers Discussion 1 03-04-2011 07:01 AM
Converting a IH 4900 to a Gooseneck Hauler/ Farm Truck... TBigLug MDT Conversions 0 10-14-2010 08:17 AM
Pulling Toy Hauler with lifted truck Ryan Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 3 06-24-2006 12:50 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.