Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Wavy exterior walls

Before I ask my question I would like to say I'm new to this forum and would like to say Hello to everyone.
We bought a new New Horizons a few months ago and one day I noticed how wavy the exterior walls are. Has any other New Horizons owners noticed this on your trailer ? I will be asking New Horizons about this when we stop in there on our way home.
Desertcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
wavy walls

Hello Desertcoyote:

Sorry to hear about your wavy walls. I did a google search on "wavy exterior fiberglass walls on my rv" and found a hit on this url: Forest River - Wavy Fiberglass Exterior. Review 207654 May 12, Mesa, Arizona, Faulty Rv @ Pissed Consumer

The author posted the following:

Wavy fiberglass suggests spotty adhesion of face panel to the substrate, visible by waves in finish.No way to inject glue once it's finished...Repair method is to remove and replace whole wall panel. Dealer will not want to deal with this; mfgr will resist remedy."...

I believe he is correct when he said, "mfgr will resist remedy", but that's what I would demand. I just can't think of any other way to address the problem. Don't leave the factory without getting your rig repaired or a promise in writing to repair it. You spent enough money that your rig should last for YEARS not months. Unfortunately, it sounds to me like it will require a complete "redo" of the exterior. I hope I am wrong.

Our NH is over 11 years old and we don't have any wavy fiberglass.

Good luck and keep all of us posted.
Tim & Carolyn #563
tpelzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Although not seeing your New Horizons, don't know the specifics/magnitude of the waves -- but when we had our factory tour last October, Cole mentioned that the fiberglass comes in rolls and the sides of the Majestic are not perfectly smooth. Depending upon how the sun hit some of the Majestics in the parking lot, you could see some subtle waves in the outside fiberglass. We choose to not purchase the upgrade that added further clear coat layers on our Majestic, in part because we were not sure if we would need it as well as it would further highlight any waves in the fiberglass. Hope that is helpful.
ExcitedToRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

So are you saying you also have waves in your walls ?
Desertcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertcoyote View Post
So are you saying you also have waves in your walls ?
We expect to pick-up our Majestic in May. I don't expect our exterior fiberglass walls to be perfectly smooth, based upon what I saw during the factory tour and the related conversation with Cole. But when you get to New Horizons you can easily speak with them as well as compare your fiberglass with other New Horizons, to understand if what you are seeing is normal (i.e., slight waving may be noticeable when the sun hits the fiberglass at a specific angle) or not.

Not seeing your New Horizons, I don't know the answer -- but I thought the above might be helpful. From my experience so far, and from what I have heard from others, if there is an issue then New Horizons will address it.
ExcitedToRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #6

In the right light you can see waves in almost all RV fiberglass walls. Including high end motorcoaches like Foretravel. And built with almost any technique, including the hung wall that DRV uses.

That said, use of pinch-roller technology to laminate wall structures will induce waves in the wall if the pinch roller is not "perfect" in its alignment....and they never are. It is a side effect of the technique. It can be minimized by using heavier luan substrate, and heavier fiberglass on the exterior. It is generally NOT due to bad glue adhesion, although that is certainly technically a possibility. Bad glue adhesion results in a delamination that is totally different in appearance from "waves" in the side walls.

For the 2015 models New Horizons will change the way the walls are constructed to minimize the appearance of "waves". I'll be publishing a series of articles on this and other 2015 changes in the near future....
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to irv2
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Jack, just curious, were those Azdel panels that were used in the sidewalls?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Hi and welcome to the New Horizon world. Our 2009 unit came with wavy walls, too. They are the result of the manufacturing process. Our 29 foot New Horizon has over 50,000 miles on it and the walls are still wavy. Waves don't effect performance.

Winter Garden in Bradenton, FL:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2891027&type=1

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Jack, just curious, were those Azdel panels that were used in the sidewalls?
It happens both with and without Azdel wall panels. Azdel seems to have nothing to do with it. In any case, Azdel is no longer used, and will not be.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

We bought our toy hauler in December 2013 and I noticed a few weeks ago it has some waves in the fiberglass if you look down the side. I would think it probably has something to do with contraction and expansion in the sun and with air temps as well.
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place for info!
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari1 View Post
I would think it probably has something to do with contraction and expansion in the sun and with air temps as well.
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place for info!
Not generally the case. The ripples are a combination of natural waves in all fiberglass walls, and roller marks from the pinch roller fabrication technique. You will see them in all pinch rolled walls. In hung walls you will still see waves, but not usually roller "cycles". In "some" hung walls you will see roller cycles - why would that be? It is because the outer fiberglass is prebonded to (typically) luan underlayment prior to manufacturing and this is done with a pinch roller. The sheet is then "hung" to form the wall section. So in some cases you "may" see what looks like pinch roll marks on a hung wall. You WILL see waves on a hung wall. It is the nature of the product.

In most light you do not notice them. In morning and evening light they are more apparent. They are also more apparent on darker paint. Also, looking at the wall at obtuse angles makes them more visible.

I'll explain how this will be improved in the 2015 in the article on the 2015 Coaches. Coming in the next month....
Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #14

New Horizons Owners Club
Where are you going to post it at Jack?