Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Weights for 37IK3S

I would be interested in real world, loaded, in-use pin and gross weights on the 37IK3S model, please. Additionally, let me know if its a Majestic or Summit version and if generator installed. Thanks!
Prof_Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #2

Come on folks. The guy asks a question so let give him some answers! Empty I weight 18600 in my three slide 35 foot with no gen. I am not with my spec book so I can not say for sure but I think my pin weight empty was about 22%.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
Danny -

Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a correct answer. I can give you a comparison. And I can give you a "future answer" by letting a "proposed cat out of the bag".

Our 39' Majestic with its modifications had a dry weight on delivery of 20,500 pounds with a pin weight of 3,880 pounds.

When we moved from our DRV Elite Suites into the Majestic, we did not move everything. Quite a bit went back into storage, including 6 boxes of books! Note: The generator on the DRV was mounted in the front. So, the dry weight delivery of the DRV ES was 18,600. We had it weighed by RVSEF at the 2015 rally. RVSEF weighs each tire independently - both tow vehicle and RV. The total weight of the ES was 20,725 with a pin weight of 4,575.

So, no, I cannot give you exactly the information you want.

BUT . . . (let me untie this bag here in hopes of finding the correct cat) . . . As the rally master for the next NHOG rally and still in the early planning stages (Thus no post yet on this forum for the rally), I have contacted RVSEF to attend the NHOG rally to offer their weighing services and give a talk. I hope to hear from them soon, and to get enough prepared to formally announce the rally on this forum soon.

Was that enough disclaimers?

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

I like all the disclaimers! and thanks to the both of you and the allen's for their input.

btw, where will the next NHOG be held? or is that not decided yet...

~ Danny
Prof_Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Lube View Post
I like all the disclaimers! and thanks to the both of you and the allen's for their input.

btw, where will the next NHOG be held? or is that not decided yet...

~ Danny
Danny -

You are correct. I have emailed the New Horizons Owners Group about the time and location, so I guess it is now official. Yes, you are correct. I need to get my thoughts together and post on the forum and ask the moderators to sticky it to the top.

But, for you and any other soon to be owners and wannabes out there, the next NHOG rally will be at Mountain Views RV Park in Creede, CO, September 7-11, 2020. I am hoping to plan some pre-rally activities to encourage people to arrive before the Labor Day weekend. And, might as well say this because I mentioned it above, I did receive a reply from RVSEF and hope later this year to confirm their attendance and service at the rally. This latter part will put questions like yours to rest for some time. RVSEF will weigh each tire on the RV and tow vehicle and give a complete report. (Though this same service is available from SmartWeigh, they are only located within Escapees parks.)

So, there . . . I done it! Now I need to get a proper posting for the sticky. Danny, am I going to have to stay up late? BTW, all those disclaimers still apply.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 07-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Ron, (just to interject) Getting RVSEF to the rally would be awesome! Allison & Rich (end hijack)

Edited to add: Kudos for getting RVSEF!!!
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon View Post
Ron, (just to interject) Getting RVSEF to the rally would be awesome! Allison & Rich (end hijack)

Edited to add: Kudos for getting RVSEF!!!
Allison & Rich -

Remember the last line . . . Disclaimers STILL apply. RVSEF has not finalized their stops next year. That won't happen until late this year. They have had two teams leave because of family reasons, etc. So, if anyone is interested, look up RVSEF for a part-time mainly summer job! While you travel! So, the final commitment is months away if at all. But I am hoping that RVSEF will be at Creede! I am doing what I can.

And thank you for the kudos! Got my fingers crossed!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Come on folks. The guy asks a question so let give him some answers! Empty I weight 18600 in my three slide 35 foot with no gen. I am not with my spec book so I can not say for sure but I think my pin weight empty was about 22%.
Wow, I was talking to NH a month ago and wanted to make sure the F550 we are buying would be enough for a 34'-35'. They gave me dry weight numbers of Summits at 15,000 to 16,000 lbs.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Wow, I was talking to NH a month ago and wanted to make sure the F550 we are buying would be enough for a 34'-35'. They gave me dry weight numbers of Summits at 15,000 to 16,000 lbs.
Alloy -

For a Summit, a 450 with airbags and regular pickup bed would probably be enough. However, if you are looking at a hauler bed, a 550 would be best. I think dadej is speaking of a Majestic which is heavier.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Alloy -

For a Summit, a 450 with airbags and regular pickup bed would probably be enough. However, if you are looking at a hauler bed, a 550 would be best. I think dadej is speaking of a Majestic which is heavier.

Just my two cents,
Ron
The places we go wheel loading can be an issue. We are willing to sacrafice some length but we want all the amenities we have now with a GVWR under 18k on 2 axles. We'll have to sit down with NH to figure it out.

The extra power and options for a F450 pickup would be nice but 19,500 GVWR (2019 spec) is why we will go with the F550 and hauler bed. We have fleet of canoes & kayaks plus of gear to go in/on the truck.

On one hand we want FORD to announce the spec on the 2020 Superduties ASAP while on the other hand we've always stayed away from the 1st year of any new design. Time for a coin toss....
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
Alloy -

Also, be aware that the Ford fifth wheel ratings are based upon using the Reese/Ford fifth wheel hitch. That hitch has lower ratings that the truck itself. Compare the fifth wheel ratings with the gooseneck ratings. Though I was pleased with the Reese/Ford hitch on our F350 and DRV Elite Suites, I really love the Comfort Ride hitch on out F450 pickup and its performance.

I think you will find designing your Summit with Cole or Drew will be fun. Remember, with New Horizons, everything is optional. You are the designer. On our Majestic, I upgraded the three MorRyde I/S from 7K to 8K, opted for disc brakes, 17.5" rims, and Load J rated Michelin tires with balancing beads inside the tires.

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 09-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #12

We have a 39' Summit 39FB4S. Currently loaded for a 7 month road trip. No generator but we cary one in the bed.

UVW 18420

Cat Scale
Front axle 5,380
Rear Axle 8,840
Trailer 17,040
Gross weight 31,260.

We did not weight the truck separately but can estimate the pin at 4,000 lBS based on our original truck weights.

As far as the truck goes my feeling is that a F550 is overkill for a 34-35' trailer. Most pickups will run out of rear axle capacity before getting close to any other limit. A F550 will extract a penalty in price, insurance, maintenance costs, and most importantly ride comfort. Our F350 with 4:10 gearing has a 1000 LB reserve at the rear axle. Not enough for a aux. fuel tank but we are based on the east coast and distances are shorter. Good luck with your decisions.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight