Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

what's the best tow vehicle for these

Hi! Sorry, I'm not an NH owner so I don't mean to crash this area. I've kinda followed these over the years and just wondering what ya'll are towing the Majestics with? Looks like the rock bottom selection is an F450
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Todd,

That’s a wide-open question. The answer, of course, is, "It depends."

We bought a travel trailer, not a fifth-wheel. Ours is 36-feet long and weighs about 15,000 pounds empty. We tow it with our 2008 Dodge with a 6.7 liter Cummins diesel. The truck is working hard to tow that much weight, and it may be over Dodge’s specified towing capacity, but I am unwilling to drive around town with a mini-semi after I get where I’m going and unhitch the trailer. I am pretty sure that my truck would be within specs if I had a fifth-wheel trailer that weighed the same amount. Generally pickups are rated to tow more weight if you put the hitch in the bed of the truck.

Most New Horizons trailers weigh more than ours. A great many are towed with the larger series Fords, like the F450 you mention. I am not at all familiar with the Ford line and towing capacities for their trucks, so I’ll leave that for someone who does know.

I also see some of the New Horizons fifth-wheel trailers being pulled by the single-rear-axle tractors made by Freightliner and other semi-tractor manufacturers.

A New Horizons trailer is custom-built for the customer who orders it. If you order a big, heavy one, be prepared to get a heavy-duty truck to tow it.

Good luck,
– Loren
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Thanks Loren. I'm pretty much the same way as you in that I won't use a tractor for reasons of transportation after the unit is parked.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

If your truck meets the requirements of your RV's weight I agree to get a smaller truck, however not buying a strong enough truck to safely tow and stop your rig because you are unwilling to drive a F450 or 550 because it is the size of a semi and may be a little inconvenient to use around town, in my opinion, is very short sighted and dangerous to you and others on the road.
Marnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
I don't think the 450 and 350 pickups are different in length and width. I would expect that the 450 is a little stiffer and has a stronger frame as well as bigger brakes. The standard rear end has a higher ration.

I would not purchase a tow vehicle knowing that the manufacturer does not recommend the towing capability needed for the rig that I planned to purchase.

When we travel we gross around 20,500 pounds, and our truck is designed to handle 21,000 pounds. We are at the point where if we add something we must get rid of something.

We recently had to shut down hard for a red light and our anti-lock on the truck engaged. Afterwards, I cranked up my trailer brakes a bit harder to have a little more capacity. I really like to have the trailer trail the truck as a jackknife occurs when the trailer wheels lock up. Its a compromise as to how to divide the braking between the trailer and truck.

Back in 2005 we did about 2000 miles of gravel in Canada and Alaska. I pulled the fuse after the first hundred miles for the anti-lock brakes because in gravel the anti-lock just did not work. After pulling the fuse we had 250% better braking.

I not 100% convinced that anti-lock braking is better when towing.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnin
If your truck meets the requirements of your RV's weight I agree to get a smaller truck, however not buying a strong enough truck to safely tow and stop your rig because you are unwilling to drive a F450 or 550 because it is the size of a semi and may be a little inconvenient to use around town, in my opinion, is very short sighted and dangerous to you and others on the road.
My intentions are not to be dangerous for my convenience. If I save enough pennies someday to get, for instance, a New Horizons coach I would purchase the largest pickup style truck (f450 etc...) and match the trailer size/weight to it. I'm just not a fan of the flatbed conversion look or HDT's and was wondering what the ratio is between larger scale pickups or HDT's.
Even though an F450 is rated to tow 24k lbs, I hear that getting over 21k becomes unsafe(r) with stopping.. by NH's site, a 34-36' coach with 3 slides is on average around 17k lbs, dry which fixes you up right around 21k cargo'd up. I'm wondering how many push Fords ratings to the limit and either deal with it or get a bigger truck.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
I'm wondering how many push Fords ratings to the limit and either deal with it or get a bigger truck.
Remember a motto to live by: If the minimum weren’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum.

Okay, that’s a joke. But my point is that if Ford rates a truck to tow 21,000 pounds, then it seems to me that you can safely tow 21,000 pounds. Naturally, you can tow a pop-up camping trailer with a Freightliner, and it would undoubtedly be safer than towing a flatbed trailer loaded with 50,000 pounds of steel. Does that mean that the 50,000 pound load is unsafe even if the truck is rated to tow 80,000 pounds? Sure it’s less safe than towing the pop-up, but it’s still within the limits.

Again, if the limits were unsafe, they wouldn’t be the limits.
– Loren
Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth (2.06 cents as we are currently visiting family in Canada).
The 5th Wheel Loaded Trailer weight for a 2011 F450 4x4 dually is 24,400 with a GWR of 33,000 using a 4.3 axle ration. To smooth out the ride, we outfitted the truck with a Kelderman Air Bag suspension.
We tow a 41' Majestic coming in at just under 23,000 loaded with triple E/H Disc brakes.
So far our only experience with hills has been I24 east bound to Chattanooga, a 6% grade. We had no problems accelerating up the hill to pass the 18 wheelers and the exhaust brakes & Tow/Haul mode downshifting as needed kept us under control on the down side with the occasional tap on the disc brakes.
At 22' of long bed crew cab and 8' wide, the most difficult task is finding a spot in the grocery store parking lot (We needed the crew cab as the dogs take up all of the back seat).
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #9

I looked at the 450 and 550 and decided for the few thousand more, the 550 was a stronger and safer truck. The parking is an issue sometimes in larger cities. When we go shopping we know we will not be parking up close. LOL. Instead we always look for the spots furthest away and have not had problems parking.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
The one draw back I see with the F-550 is that they down grade the motor100 hp from 400 to 300 hp.
That to me is a lot of power to lose.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #11

I could be wrong but the new 6.7l power stroke engine that Ford engineered last year is 400 hp in all models.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Marnin
One of my buddies has an F550, and he called me and asked what horse power my F450 was, because his was 300 horse.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #13

Larry,
What year is his 550? As far as I know the last two years 2011 and 2012 there is no difference between the 450 and 550.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that is a 5th wheel (Heck I think they do TTs too)

Google: Trail Hauler

Check that out.. For sure it can tow the rig.

One word of caution though:

IF you buy one of those, You wil have lots of folks asking "Do you think that is big enough to tow your trailer"

And the proper response is to laugh,, Just laugh. That's all the answer they need.