RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Window awnings for rear window

I have a question for the NH owners that have the rear window awning on their rigs. We like the idea of preventing the sun from heating up the inside of the coach (we had the awnings before) but noticed the ladder on the back.

Does the ladder interfere with the deployment of the awning?

If the ladder interferes, what are the steps you take to deploy the window awning?

Do these steps prevent you from using the awning because it's inconvenient?

Would you get the rear window awning again?

Any guidance you can give is appreciated.

Allison

Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

If you are doing a 2020 model I am told that the ladder is non removable so a awning can not be installed. We had the ladder left off our build because I would rather use my Little Giant knock off by Warner plus we were able to have the awning installed.
Of course things change so maybe the ladder situation has as well.

HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I will talk to Cole to see what his solution would be for the Summit build as I'm not certain if we want to lose the ladder just yet.
Allison
Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

Let be back peddle a little, the front and rear caps did not change on Summits so the ladder thing probably won't be an issue for you.
HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
Yeah, standard equipment on the Summit is a removable ladder (in black) so I guess the question now is... how much of a pain is it to remove the ladder and where does the ladder go when it's removed?

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

I don't know if the Summit is different from the Majestic, but with ours, Don just pushes two buttons to release the ladder and puts it on the ground under the rv. We didn't have NH install our rear awning, we had it done later by ShadePro after we found we needed it where we spend more of our time. If you are unsure, it can easily be added later.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slallen1262 View Post
I don't know if the Summit is different from the Majestic, but with ours, Don just pushes two buttons to release the ladder and puts it on the ground under the rv. We didn't have NH install our rear awning, we had it done later by ShadePro after we found we needed it where we spend more of our time. If you are unsure, it can easily be added later.

Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for. Allison
Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

At this point, we have not found we need a rear shade yet. However, on our previous DRV Elite Suites, we REQUIRED something to shade the rear window! I opted not to use an awning as when the sun is low enough, it will shine inside below the awning. Instead, I contacted Magneshade (https://magneshade.com/product/trailer-shades/).

Magneshade is well known in the Class A groups, but they also make excellent shades for fifth wheels. The shades are held in place by strong magnets placed on the perimeter of the glass. The magnets properly placed will not be seen from the inside. As the shades are placed on the outside of the window, they are extremely effective at blocking the heat of the sun light. The are easily installed and can even have a picture or pattern printed on the shade material.

In north Texas, outside temps around 103 for weeks, when I installed the Magneshade, the inside temperature of the DRV dropped some 20 degrees within an hour! Note, the rear window was facing west! Even when the thunderstorm downdrafts came through, the Magneshade stayed in place. I ended up and ordered Magneshades for every window (including the door window) on the DRV that summer!

That said, due to our locations in our New Horizons, I have not found it necessary to invest in a Magneshade yet. But IMHO, I would use a Magneshade before an awning on the back window.

Just my two cents,
Ron
geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:42 AM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Thanks Ron!

That actually would be a great way to keep the sun from warming up the back windows but still allowing us to view the scenery from the inside.

I will look into that. Allison

Tags
awning, awnings, wind, window