Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > New Horizons Owners Forum and NHOG
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
Winter Camping

We have friends who have told us that we are actually "snow birds". Not that we run from snow, but to snow. This picture is early morning in Pagosa Springs, CO . . . about 18" less snow than present time! The slopes at Wolf Creek Ski Area are great! And, of course, there are always the Pagosa Springs Hot Springs!

Who else cold camps?

Just my two cents,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pagosa Springs.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	235402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Springs.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	235403  

geo-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #2

The closest we've come recently was at the Tampa RV Supershow where the first day it was below 65 degrees. My feet were frozen in my flip flops all day.....

Btw, where are your lounging chairs and barbecue grill.....are they under all that snow?

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see how many folks respond. I would have thought that at this time of year that every RV in America that isn't in storage is in either Florida or Arizona....lol. At least it seems that way here in Florida.....
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

We were camping over New Years and got snowed on near Safford, AZ. It was only a few inches and we had a blast tearing up the snow with our RZR. We sure did suck down some propane keeping the trailer warm when the temps got down to 17.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roper LAke.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	235426  
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Geo what campground is it?
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
We are at Happy Camper RV Park about 6 miles west of Pagosa Springs, CO. There are only two campgrounds open during the winter near Pagosa Springs, and one near South Fork, CO. Unfortunately, the Pagosa Riverside (our preferred campground) is "closed" this winter. Pagosa Riverside is on the river bottom of the San Juan River. From the highway on top of the river terrace, there is a 30' elevation drop down to the river bottom. The road down the terrace is pure ice this year. So, we are at Happy Camper (an oxymoron unless the mud is frozen). Wolf Creek Ski Area has over 126" of groomed powder/packed powder! And the hot springs are heavenly. Plus, today is the Gray Wolf Ski Club Happy Hour!

When we ordered our New Horizons, I requested a dedicated outlet installed. It is on the toe kick of the island. This way, I can safely have an electric heater plugged into that outlet. The fireplace is on a dedicated outlet. And, as we did not get a washer/dryer, there is a dedicated outlet in the bath area that has an electric heater plugged into it. With these heaters, plus the two propane furnaces, we are quite warm and very comfortable. I burn about 40 pounds of propane a week. Not bad! I do keep the electric heaters and propane furnaces "balanced" so they work together.

Over the past 24 hours, we received another 24" of snow. If you like to snow ski or board, this is the place to be!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Feb192019.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	235469  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #6

That a lot of snow and a lot of propane .Do you fill the bottle at Bob propane in Pagosa Spring?
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've done it a time or two.

I mean a winter or two.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/8-de...ng-429865.html
Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
We have friends who have told us that we are actually "snow birds". Not that we run from snow, but to snow. This picture is early morning in Pagosa Springs, CO . . . about 18" less snow than present time! The slopes at Wolf Creek Ski Area are great! And, of course, there are always the Pagosa Springs Hot Springs!

Who else cold camps?

Just my two cents,
Ron
We’ve been is Kansas all winter, lowest temp has been 5 F, no issues. Ready for spring.
Isaiah 40:31
New Horizons M41RL3S
Dennis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Yes and No

I say we camp in the winter. It was a family tradition to camp here in Wisconsin on New Years Eve. We liked to cross country ski. The family is grown and gone now.
This year we have not camped in the snow. There has been snow on the ground since January. Were are no longer willing to walk through the snow to the pit toilets. My dump valves are exposed and unless the temp stays above freezing for a while, the stuff would have to stay on board until spring.
I am saving for an Air Stream or an Orville.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
We are at Happy Camper RV Park about 6 miles west of Pagosa Springs, CO. There are only two campgrounds open during the winter near Pagosa Springs, and one near South Fork, CO. Unfortunately, the Pagosa Riverside (our preferred campground) is "closed" this winter. Pagosa Riverside is on the river bottom of the San Juan River. From the highway on top of the river terrace, there is a 30' elevation drop down to the river bottom. The road down the terrace is pure ice this year. So, we are at Happy Camper (an oxymoron unless the mud is frozen). Wolf Creek Ski Area has over 126" of groomed powder/packed powder! And the hot springs are heavenly. Plus, today is the Gray Wolf Ski Club Happy Hour!

When we ordered our New Horizons, I requested a dedicated outlet installed. It is on the toe kick of the island. This way, I can safely have an electric heater plugged into that outlet. The fireplace is on a dedicated outlet. And, as we did not get a washer/dryer, there is a dedicated outlet in the bath area that has an electric heater plugged into it. With these heaters, plus the two propane furnaces, we are quite warm and very comfortable. I burn about 40 pounds of propane a week. Not bad! I do keep the electric heaters and propane furnaces "balanced" so they work together.

Over the past 24 hours, we received another 24" of snow. If you like to snow ski or board, this is the place to be!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Nice pic. So just how are you managing your water needs during the cold weather? I understand you have another storm coming through today.

Hans
Hans45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans45 View Post
Nice pic. So just how are you managing your water needs during the cold weather? I understand you have another storm coming through today.

Hans
Hans -

The campground water faucet has heat tape and is wrapped with insulation. I have a Conrad E-Hose that is "guaranteed" to -11F, though it worked fine down to -17F. The gray and black tanks have heaters. Once a day, I turn the gray tank heater off and dump it. Once there is about 10% back in the gray, I turn the heater back on.

Yes, that next storm is here. It has snowed every day in the last 7 days. So far, we have had somewhere between 48 to 52 inches of snow in that time period. According to the Weather Channel, today will be our last day of snow for a week or so. Wolf Creek Pass has been closed most every morning from early morning until around 10am. The CDOT has had the howitzer out doing avalanche mitigation. The snow at Wolf Creek Ski Area is so deep that unless one is on a steep incline, the deep powder just brings one to an abrupt halt. In the last 7 days, the ski area has received 74" of new snow.

Buc1908 - I have used Bob's Propane in the past. However, this trip I am either using Selph's or the Giant station.

BTW - The hot springs are heavenly in the snow!

Just my two cents,
Ron
Old 02-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #12

Looks like a lot of fun. I’ve considered dropping off my rv in fall and making ski trips either to Colorado or Michigan. I figure I can winterize when I leave and not have to drive a motorhome in bad weather. I might have to do that sometime soon. Looks awesome have fun in the slopes.

Tags
camping, winter