RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

yep the same

Have the same unit. Never felt the brakes were adequate either. and will be putting on a disk brake conversion on this winter after an outing to Gettysburg last weekend and had to come to a stop in a real big hurry, scared the devil out of me but stopped in time.I`ve already changed out the tires to Sailuns ,had the front cap painted and fixed the other things that failed, but still happy with the purchase. Communications with Keystone are a joke but what are you going to do.

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how the dealer would be responsible for this. The OP is communicating with Keystone. He's clearly got a trailer that's pretty much maxed out (assuming 5k springs) at GVWR. The dealer can't help if Keystone won't approve repairs.

What is the actual clearance between the top of the tire and the trailer itself where you've got rub marks? This is one concern of mine (different Keystone - Carbon 327) as I upgraded to G rated tires. Although they're the same size as factory, they have more tread.

Seems like this could be resolved at the dealer by re-curved springs, adding a little lift to the axle or a number of other way to make it at least safe to get to Keystone or some other approved repair facility.

Only thing that I can think of that might help would be putting it on a CAT scale and proving you're not overloading it.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
IC2

So far we are very happy with our 2014 343RL High Country over 5000 miles that it has been dragged behind my truck. Have there been a few problems - sure, but either the dealer or I have been able to handle them with a minimum amount of problem or actual cost. Are there some things I don't like - yep, mainly the 5200" axles, but they are in spec if you don't fill it full of whatever fills a trailer up. 5200 x 2 = 10,400. If there is 2200 pounds on the pin, and there is, then the GVW of 12,000+ minus the 2200 get you to 9,800 on the axles. We don't travel with much water or a lot of toys so that GVW will never be reached, probably in the 11k to 11.7K total weight and the axles never overloaded. Brakes - so far the 12x2 Dexter brakes are just fine and are exactly the same as the 6K axles we had on the Titanium and I believe even the 7K but not sure of that. It is, IMO, too low and can drag the spare if left on the belly mount hoist. I carry that China Bomb in my truck now as the back bumper probably is too weak for a bracket. I may add a spring leaf eventually but having a Lippert frame may preclude that work unless there is some added reinforcement. That nose cap - the dealer painted it before delivery and it's a bunch nicer then the gel coat. Every thing else - so far is as good as can be expected on a mid to a bit more, line of 5ers.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know how much water it holds, but 600 lb isn't much for carrying capacity...
Ever had it weighted?

There ARE shops in some cities that do custom springs - they can often re-arch or custom design springs for your particular weight and add a little height if it came to that. Adding rollers on the rear of my trailer is on the to-do list just in case..

Curious if you've really got the same brake drum diameter as the 6k and 7k axles. The 7k axles on my 36' trailer - new brakes.. Stopping it "ok" but they don't come close to locking, not even on rock.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #19
IC2

An old thead that I responded to last June,2015 and just came across again.

We still have the '14 343RL and are still very happy with it after an 8300 mile trip in August/September '15 where the only problem was that someone stole a tail light lens, not a manufacturing problem. We also determined that we should have opted for the second a/c as the ridiculously black painted slide ends absorb heat. LOTS of heat. That second though non-ducted a/c was delivered yesterday and will be installed shortly. I'll also be installing a wet bolt kit that was also just delivered though that might not happen until we return from another upcoming lengthy (3500+miles) trip next month. I've added or will be shortly, some cabinet shelves, LED brake lights, a backup camera and a surge guard and will need to adjust a slide's cables as one has slipped some - none of which are serious, mostly convenience items.

If I have any negative about this 5er, it's the Lippert spare tire bracket that can drag the tire on high crowned roads or raised gas station tank fill pads. I now carry the spare in the TV bed as the back bumper evidently isn't hefty enough plus is partially recessed.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Beware of buying any Keystone product if you expect them to honor the warranty and fix issues. I have a 375FL HC purchased in June 2016. It has spent more time in warranty dealers not being fixed than it has in a campground. Keystone is unresponsive other than to take it to a warranty center only to have the center refuse to look at this issue. Yesterday I was told that I could not run both ac's at the same time as the system was not designed for having both on at the same time. I guess this warranty dealer is not up to date. He refused to look at any issues on the AC. I have fixed more issues than Keystone who refuses to pay dealers to do warranty work. Go buy another product.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Beware of buying any Keystone product if you expect them to honor the warranty and fix issues. I have a 375FL HC purchased in June 2016. It has spent more time in warranty dealers not being fixed than it has in a campground. Keystone is unresponsive other than to take it to a warranty center only to have the center refuse to look at this issue. Yesterday I was told that I could not run both ac's at the same time as the system was not designed for having both on at the same time. I guess this warranty dealer is not up to date. He refused to look at any issues on the AC. I have fixed more issues than Keystone who refuses to pay dealers to do warranty work. Go buy another product.
I have a High Country and its at the dealer right now getting a few little things fixed before warranty ends and there hasn't been any problem at all. Maybe you should look at your dealer??
Old 08-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #22
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Fantastic post with all kinds of 'problems' defined that you claim to have fixed. Sure, I've fixed couple items that I shouldn't have - no big deal plus Keystone did a couple through my dealer with no complaint

Run your two a/c's, it has a 50 amp service with 20 amp service at each unit. You cannot run both on a 30 amp service though and if that's what you are talking about, the dealer is right. The rear a/c is ducted throughout the trailer, the front may not be (probably not)
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #23

Hi

I have had the same problems as jameswbarton.

Refusal and belays in doing the warranty work until unit is out of warranty.

Then warranty denied because Keystone warranty requires the owner to disassemble the entire waste and potable water system including removing sink and shower drains and reseal them and reseal all doors, windows and roof when the unit is 3 months old.

You all be aware jameswbarton is offering you information for free that cost me $20,000.

This is a very expensive “DO IT YOUR SELF” kit. LOL

3665RE
Old 08-06-2016, 06:03 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi

I have had the same problems as jameswbarton.

Refusal and belays in doing the warranty work until unit is out of warranty.

Then warranty denied because Keystone warranty requires the owner to disassemble the entire waste and potable water system including removing sink and shower drains and reseal them and reseal all doors, windows and roof when the unit is 3 months old.

You all be aware jameswbarton is offering you information for free that cost me $20,000.

This is a very expensive “DO IT YOUR SELF” kit. LOL

3665RE
I hope the homework I did before I purchased finding a dealer and there service record is going to pay off. I sucks listening to people like you that have had bad experiences. I would like to think that with all the units Keystone sells that there isn't to many like yours. Sorry you have one of the lemons that every company has. Good luck in the future
Old 08-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
My selling warranty dealer is Genera RV "The largest family owned retailer in the USA".

They had the unit for 3.5 weeks for one major issue and 9 minor issues. The main issue is the AC could only cool the coach to 76 degrees when the outside temperature was 85 degrees. I am in Michigan so cooling an RV is easy compared to being in the south. The end result is they told me Keystone would not pay for 2 of the minor issues, and they did nothing to fix the AC claiming it delivered 37 degree air. It was 2 months since I bought it and it is now in a 3rd warranty service center due to Keystone scheduling the appointment when the second warranty dealer said he would fix it but would have to charge me for it claiming Keystone would not pay for it. When I delivered it to the third Keystone warranty service center near Saginaw Mi, the service advisor said he would not look at the AC since I had fixed and cleaned the supply ducts blockages at the ceiling registers. I told him I could see duct collapse and separation but he refused saying Keystone would not pay them for work. I suppose I could post how many phone calls and emails I have done with Dometic and Keystone but it is many days worth.

Finally yesterday after spending hour on the phone I did get a return call from a Keystone Rep asking me where the RV was. He had knowledge of HVAC and told me he would authorize the dealer to get it fixed. I am not holding my breath. I f you do have AC issues you need to check each ceiling register for tape hanging loose and blockage and debris. Also my registers were too long blocking the main duct. Hours later I got a 16 degree cooling instead of 9. Better but not right. The rest of the issues were minor, scratched window glass, hole in a window shade, leaks in the grey water pipe, gas pressure or burning problem in the Water Heater, Condensate from the AC streaming under the rear panel screw moldings which if left would have caused the rear panel to delaminate. the back door screen would not close properly, the dump valves were labelled backwards. The 2 living room slides have a cable that gets caught in the seal and if not pushed in allow hot air into the living room.

So you make your own decision but for me I would never recommend buying a Keystone product unless you can do a better PDI inspection than mine and catch everything before you pay the final bill. Drive it off the lot and it is you problem as far as I can tell in Michigan.

I have a small hope that the Keystone rep that called late yesterday will fix it but I will not hold my breath after 2 solid months of it being in the warranty center or waiting on the warranty center appointment.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Roothoos 1282,

I did the work on researching dealers, brands, etc. Keystone changed ownersihp a while ago and is now owned by Thor, Maybe their high quality name from pre Thor is now degrading. It appears to b a new thing for the failure to honor warranty issues. I also would have thought most of my issues were small enouth most dealer wold have fixed them to keep their reputations. When I bought the Coach from General RV they snuck in a paper at final signing that informed me that General RV had no liability for the RV and all claims had to be covered by Keystone. Now I know why that was put in writing to prevent me fro suing General RV when Keystone would not honor the Warranty. I will never sign away a right to sue again!
Old 08-06-2016, 07:22 AM   #27

From what I have read here it seems to be dealers making your Keystone experience so bad. I have not had any issues with Keystone, warranty work, or anything else . However I attribute that to my dealer who will not accept a denial from Keystone. Your issues are the dealers not Keystone.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Raineman.

When all three warranty authorized dealers blame Keystone, and Keystone will not answer any emails, except to say to take it to a warranty dealer, I think most logical folks would blame Keystone. The first dealer did not fix a scratched window and a window shade with a hole. The dealer told me Keystone refused to pay. When I called Keystone they looked in my record and told me the dealer never submitted the claim. Later that day the same rep called me back and told me that keystone had refused to authorize the repair but that they now would if I took it back to the dealer. We will see. I am out of Dealers within 50 miles are you suggesting I need to go the Goshen for repairs?

You must have an exemplary dealer or the Michigan ones suck?