Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Angry Hauling Portable waste water tanks

We have 2008 Cougar fifth wheel we bought the largest (55?) gallon tank that can be dragged behind the pick up which means wheels. We want to carry on back of the RV. Against the ladder. Does anyone have any suggestion as how to carry.

I have seen some tanks tied to the ladder with what I thought was a small bike rack. Help takes up too much room underneath holder.
Poojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

Ladder rack possibility?

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

I'm not sure this would work with your portable waste water tank. I bought one a couple of months ago to use for carrying things like chairs or a small ladder, but have not used it yet.

If you have the Thetford tank, you would probably have to find a way to suspend it from the ladder rack since it does not look like you could hang it from the axle.

If you look at this Camping World link, you might find other ladder rack options that would work better.

Good luck. I'm sure I will be looking for a solution soon.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

My tank spends 90% of its life at my home in a storage location out of site. I only carry it when I needed it if I know in advance that the site is not full hook-up site. When I do carry the waste holding tank it is in the bed of the pick-up truck under the pin box and bed saver on the hitch.

The DW really likes her showers in the morning and non full hook-up site does not make it in her book. She is willing to pay the extra money for a full hook-up site.

Jim W.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

I have mine in the truck bed and I have a short box and a large blue boy I carry it up side down and a cable and lock to keep it from growing legs.I still have room to slide the hitch if need be....It is at the back of the bed My truck is a old Dodge 6.7 oil burner....Bushman
Old 11-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #5

I have a TT and a covered truck bed.

I carried it under the cover some but I only need it occasionally and it takes up a good bit of room. I am planning to carry it on top of the truck bed cover when needed and just strap it down at the stake pockets.

Bob Weis
Bob Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #6

If you have a macerator on your sewer output, you could haul a large tank in the back of your truck bed. I have seen that done. One enterprising person I came across a few years ago, had such a setup and ran a little business of dumping tanks for fellow campers. He just put his macerator on the customers outlet. Pumped it up into a bladder tank in his truck and he could even reverse the process at the dump facility is gravity feed was not an option. I.e. he could run a 3/4 in hose up hill to about 100'. I have had a macerator on my RVs for more than 10 years now. Never had a fiver, but if I did, I would get a large rubber bladder for such contingencies and add a macerator to my kit. Have dumped in toilets many times when no other convenient options were available.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poojean View Post
We have 2008 Cougar fifth wheel we bought the largest (55?) gallon tank that can be dragged behind the pick up which means wheels. We want to carry on back of the RV. Against the ladder. Does anyone have any suggestion as how to carry.

I have seen some tanks tied to the ladder with what I thought was a small bike rack. Help takes up too much room underneath holder.
We carry 32 gallon blue boy on the ladder. We have a bike rack mounted there and so it sits on the arms that stick out, plus straps of course. DH has mounted larger wheels on it as on BLM land in Arizona this is a requirement for transporting on a county road to the dump station.
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

The smaller tank is easy to make a bumper carrier for. If you know anyone that can weld something for you.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #9

SUV

I have an SUV. Does anyone carry a portable tank and have an SUV? Where did you carry it? I was thinking on the SUV roof rack.
new premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by new premier View Post
I have an SUV. Does anyone carry a portable tank and have an SUV? Where did you carry it? I was thinking on the SUV roof rack.

Roof rack is a good idea. Pretty much ANYWHERE that is not in the passenger compartment. I don't care HOW much you clean it . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 42 gallon blue boy. Carry it on the rear ladder on one of those inexpensive racks designed to carry Golding chairs. Lift the wheeled end onto the rack, hooking it over the lip of the rack. Now pick up the other end and pivot up to vertical. A bungee cord holds it in place while I put two cargo straps around it for travel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

Bal hide-a-spare

I know that this is a old thread but anyone reading this old thread. The BAL hide a spare works well for hauling totes. Do a search there are mods with pics http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/af...e-a-spare3.jpg
Mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hauling Portable waste water tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeronimo View Post
I know that this is a old thread but anyone reading this old thread. The BAL hide a spare works well for hauling totes. Do a search there are mods with pics http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/af...e-a-spare3.jpg

Picture is not viewable and what is a BAL hide a spare?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water