Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #1

Help! New at all of this

Hi. My husband and I just bought a used 2008 Keystone Raptor 3812. We drove 3 hours found it put our deposit down and arranged to have it delivered to our home.
The salesman assured me (yup I'm the one born this minute, sucker that is) that the driver would deliver it and go over EVERYTHING with us. He would do the walk through and teach us everything. Our plan is to load it at home and then have it delivered by a hired driver to our "permanent" location. We will then save for a truck and take it on adventures. So today they called to inform me it would be delayed. (Not a big surprise). And that the salesman should have never told us that the driver would do any kind of walk through with us. So on THIS Saturday this enormous beast will be delivered to our house. We have to be out by Monday FYI, and we won't know the first thing about how to turn anything on or off etc.... I've searched high and low for owners manuals etc with no luck. Any ideas? Feeling dazed and confused out here.
Me_n_T.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #2

Nothing like putting the cart before the horse. The tow vehicle should have been your first purchase. At least if you have to move it you can just hop in and drive away. If you have to hire the move. Move it once to where it can be parked for an unlimited time. Use what ever vehicle you currently have to move things into said trailer. Each time you go you will find something new that you need to do. Most of the stuff isn't all that hard. You will need to keep it plugged in to electric at least most of the time. The house battery will not last more than a few days, if that. DO NOT put food in the trailer unless you will be there at least once a week. Make the trip back to the Sales place and have someone go over a similar model with you. Most stuff is the same.

Good Luck.
Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lappir View Post
Nothing like putting the cart before the horse. The tow vehicle should have been your first purchase. At least if you have to move it you can just hop in and drive away. If you have to hire the move. Move it once to where it can be parked for an unlimited time. Use what ever vehicle you currently have to move things into said trailer. Each time you go you will find something new that you need to do. Most of the stuff isn't all that hard. You will need to keep it plugged in to electric at least most of the time. The house battery will not last more than a few days, if that. DO NOT put food in the trailer unless you will be there at least once a week. Make the trip back to the Sales place and have someone go over a similar model with you. Most stuff is the same.

Good Luck.
Rod
Thanks for your reply. Actually we will be LIVING in said toyhauler. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area where rents have recently gone through the roof. We found a beautiful spot to rent on private land with power water and a septic tank for so much less than apartment rent. So that is why we are moving our things into the RV and having it placed in the spot for us.
Me_n_T.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_n_T.D View Post
Hi. My husband and I just bought a used 2008 Keystone Raptor 3812. We drove 3 hours found it put our deposit down and arranged to have it delivered to our home.
The salesman assured me (yup I'm the one born this minute, sucker that is) that the driver would deliver it and go over EVERYTHING with us. He would do the walk through and teach us everything. Our plan is to load it at home and then have it delivered by a hired driver to our "permanent" location. We will then save for a truck and take it on adventures. So today they called to inform me it would be delayed. (Not a big surprise). And that the salesman should have never told us that the driver would do any kind of walk through with us. So on THIS Saturday this enormous beast will be delivered to our house. We have to be out by Monday FYI, and we won't know the first thing about how to turn anything on or off etc.... I've searched high and low for owners manuals etc with no luck. Any ideas? Feeling dazed and confused out here.
Here is a link to download the manual, kind of surprised the dealer didn't at least provide a copy.

Owner's Manual

You can also call them at (866) 425-4369, all of this stuff is on their website at Keystone RV

We also bought before buying a truck, not sure why somebody would automatically assume you'd be driving around with it. Ours was delivered for us and it's brand new. We did the walk through at the dealer right after signing the papers so our situation is a bit different.

Good luck and I hope you find the info you need.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

I have to add something here that was brought to my attention the first time I purchased a self contained TT. These babies have holding tanks. Usually they have 1 for fresh water. This one you won't likely be hocked into city (or well) water. You should check to see if there is water in this tank. There will be a meter of some sort that will tell you the levels for this and the other tanks (if this is previously used, the meter(s) may not be accurate as the sensors sometime get a build up on them - this can be addressed later). If there is water in the tank I would recommend purging the tank of the existing water. Once done you can leave it empty or, put a few gallons of fresh water back in it and a few drops of clorox. Depending on your climate, the tank should be winterized in the winter (adding RV/Marine type antifreeze). If you are in a climate that stays warm, the tank should be purged once a year.

There is always a "grey" water tank, sometimes 2, depending on the rig. If it has 2, one will be from the galley, the other from the head. These are the tanks that hold waste water from your sinks and shower. These tanks can be drained by pulling "plunger" handles which will be located on the opposite side of rig from your entry door. Since you will be set up again, in a semi-permanent state, these plungers can be left in the open position.

Then there is the "black" water tank. This holds the waste from your commode. Your used to living in a residential property and you don't have to concern yourself with cleanliness of a tank such as this. Living in an RV can get real ugly real fast if you don't pay particular attention to the care of this tank.

First, go to an RV place or (for better prices) Walmart and get some toilet paper made for RV/Marine holding tanks. Also get a couple of boxes of "Holding Tank Deodorant". I use Thetford brand but there are others. You will also want to check to see if your rig is equipped with an internal tank cleaner. If it isn't I recommend you purchase a cleaning wand for the tank (An RV place will know what you're talking about it you ask for it), a garden hose long enough to get from your water source to the head and, a Flush King (Untitled Document).

Unlike your grey water tanks, the black water tank you will want to keep closed. Why you ask? Because the design of these tanks are such that, if it is left to drain all the time, solid waste will not leave it. And remember when you were in grade school and made project with PAPER MACHETE??? Well, any wet toilet paper will eventually harden in the tank and will (A) become almost impossible to ever get cleaned out and (B) will retain the smell of the waste and, along with the solid waste that won't be draining, will produce an odor so bad, it will knock you to your knees!

So, when you get all the products I mentioned, go to the rig and make sure your hoses (or pipes) are all properly connected to your rigs sewage system (Flush King in place) which will be right below the plungers. Then close the black water tank (to identify this you may have to call the manufacturer but generally this is the one towards the back). Hook up the hose and wand and take it to the head. You will put the commode in the flush position (some are by hand, others have a foot pedal) which open the commode up to the tank below. Stick the wand all the way down in the tank and let it go to town. I generally do this for several minutes, go outside, pull the plunger to dump the tank, then I do it again. Some may consider that obsessive and they would be right. That's just me! Once you feel that you have adequately rinsed the tank, close the plunger, then run about a half a gallon of water into the tank. Now add the holding tank deodorant. Again, I am a little over the top when it comes to these but, i've been in rigs that have a holding tank odor and I can't stand it. I generally use 2 packages of the deodorant. Again, that's just me.

Keep an eye on the tank level. Once it gets full, pull the plunger!!!. Then, hook a water hose up to the Flush king and let it do the work for you. The wand should be used about once every couple of weeks for a good rinse.

One thing I forgot to mention - whenever you are servicing the black water tank, close the other tanks.

This should keep your tank and you happy for a long time.....
Campnfools is offline   Reply With Quote