Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Montana High Country 375FL Question

I hope I am not putting this in the wrong place but here goes. My wife and I are considering this unit and it does fall in my weight range for my 2016 Chevy 2500HD gas truck. My question is has anyone pulled this unit with a 3/4 ton ton? I think it would be fine by looking at the numbers but sometimes there is more than just the numbers to look at. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. We have a pull behind right now but are looking to upgrade and love the front living floor plans.

Thanks in advance
bsmcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 AM   #2

That model of Montana has 'dry' weight of 11,868# with a 'dry' pin weight of 2265"

Depending on TRIM level of your 2500 it may be too much trailer.

What is payload (door jamb---yellow sticker). That is max cargo carrying capacity rating -----------weight of you, passengers, ALL stuff in cab, stuff in bed (hitch etc) PLUS wet pin weight of 5vr (closer to 2500-2600# when you have your stuff in trailer)

What is does truck weigh camp ready.........5vr wet pin might put you over if GVWR is 10,000#

What weight is on rear truck axle camp ready.........5vr wet pin might put you over RAWR which is probably 6200#

Get truck weighed camp ready.....look at data sticker/yellow sticker for GVWR/Axle ratings/payload etc.
Do the math.........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:07 AM   #3

Tow vehicle is 2016 Chevrolet Crew Cab 2 wheel drive with 5th wheel tow rating of 14,300 and payload of 3500.

Thanks for quick reply.
bsmcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Old-biscuit pretty much covered it

I would add that when on the border of your tow vehicles capacity, you should consider how you will be using the truck. For example, are you weekend camping nearby your base? Or are you full timing and driving the country?
There safety and comfort considerations depending on use.
We tow a 2015 Montana 3721RL and purchased a 2015 F350 dually. The specs put us on the top range for single wheels, but since we are full timers traveling the country we went to the dually for stability and capability. Never regretted it for a second.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

Same here, we just got a Bay Hill 379 FL which was at the top end of a 350 SRW, but since we will be full time in the spring we went with a DRW for the same reasons of stability/safety and capability. Also, at 42' I wouldn't tow that with anything less than a DRW no matter the weight.
wheelestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I am pulling the same model with a Dodge Ram 2500 HD V10. It is not pleasant You cannot have anything in your tanks but it is withing my weight specs of 12,900 and pin weight of 3K. I also have some extra leaves in my springs and Michelin XLT tires that can carry the bed weight. I also need to tow a gas station as V10's get 5-6 mpg towing that weight.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana