RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #1

New Alpine 3495FL - baffle in black tank?

We bought a new 2013 Alpine 3495FL in June, and other than having to replace the (Dometic) front A/C unit already, are enjoying it quite a bit. It's our 3rd 5'er, but I do not consider myself an "expert". That brings me to my description, then the question:

We were having poor (as in no) luck using dry packet toilet chemicals that had worked just find in our other trailers. Liquid worked, as did letting the packet dissolve in the bowl before flushing it down. If we just flushed a new packet down, we would be rewarded with... well, let's just say they weren't working.

It eventually occurred to me to turn off the fresh water supply, hold the flush pedal down and peer into the tank with a flashlight. Much to my surprise, I
found the latest packet sitting high and dry on black plastic, only a few inches below the toilet hole. Since the "look angle" across the flush hole is limited, I can't tell much about this "baffle" other than it's now obvious why the dry packets won't work without dissolving them first.

Anyone ever heard of this? It seems like a poor design decision to me, since
it cuts off access to the tank from the toilet. Comments? I considered buying a fiber-optic inspection camera from Harbor Freight to poke around in there and check it out, but perhaps someone here already knows what's going on.

Thanks,
--jim

audiomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #2

I've never heard of black tanks having a baffle in them. It would seem to be counter-intuitive to restrict the flow of a mixture of liquid and solids out of a holding tank. I suspect what you see is an angle fitting in the plumbing line to the holding tank. Our last 5er was plumbed that way, a 45* fitting about 8" below the floor prevented seeing down into the tank.
I assume you already practice not emptying the black tank until it is at least 3/4 full so the outward rush of liquid carries all solids along to the sewer.
Just in case the previous owner did not practice that, empty your holding tank and refill it with measured containers of water, so you know how much you added. If the total added does not add up to advertised tank capacity it is one of two things; a buildup of solids in the tank, or it is not the advertised size.

To eliminate the need to use chemicals, always use plenty of flushing water. If solids are not completely covered you know the smell.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

I agree it's counter-intuitive, but I don't think it's a pipe. The surface is flat, and large enough that I can't see around it without an inspection camera.

I agree wholeheartedly on not dumping the tank until close to full and using lots of water. We always dump when we leave a site, (if possible) but I fill the tank to close to full with water beforehand. If the park owner/manager isn't a rabid conservationist, I'll admit to wasting 50 gallons on a clean flush as well.

Getting back to the issue at hand, this is bugging me enough that I think I'm going to trot down to Harbor Freight and buy an inspection camera. The ad I saw showed around a 24" flex stem on it; that should be long enough. We'll see if it's washable...

Thanks,
--jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

I've never heard of black tanks having a baffle in them. It would seem to be counter-intuitive to restrict the flow of a mixture of liquid and solids out of a holding tank. I suspect what you see is an angle fitting in the plumbing line to the holding tank. Our last 5er was plumbed that way, a 45* fitting about 8" below the floor prevented seeing down into the tank.
I assume you already practice not emptying the black tank until it is at least 3/4 full so the outward rush of liquid carries all solids along to the sewer.
Just in case the previous owner did not practice that, empty your holding tank and refill it with measured containers of water, so you know how much you added. If the total added does not add up to advertised tank capacity it is one of two things; a buildup of solids in the tank, or it is not the advertised size.

To eliminate the need to use chemicals, always use plenty of flushing water. If solids are not completely covered you know the smell.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Have you checked on renting a remote camera? Might be cheaper and easier than buying one and having it sit around unused for years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

I managed to convince myself I couldn't live without one, so I picked one up at Harbor Freight yesterday. With $50 "off", it ran $200.

I've been checking off honeydo items today, but may get to the coach this afternoon or evening. I'd post video, but I'm not sure a "pottycam" video would fall inside the lines... :P

Thanks,
--jim

Tags
tank