Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Keystone
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
I wish my Warranty only took a week. It has taken Keystone 3.5 months to authorize and replace one of my Montana Windows. It is finally expected in next week. Do not drive it off the lot unless you have fully inspected everything. I took three tries to get the AC working so it would cool the coach.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #16

In this short thread I've seen 2 complaints about AC. My dealer would be last resort on an AC problem, especially in summer. Call the manufacturer of the AC for a list of service shops and mobile techs. Take it to a shop or call a mobile guy ~ but make sure he is capable of replacing it if needed. Mobile tech service calls are not covered by warranty. On my way to FL the furnace quit. Not going to be without heat if needed for 3 months. I paid $50 service call and Atwood paid the rest.
Why do some leave the camper at the dealer for non-safety issues if it can be used? Use it and call the service mgr every other day to ask if parts have arrived. If near, stop and see him weekly.
How can anyone complain if a dealer puts those that bought from him ahead of someone that purchased from someone else? Dealers and techs do not get rich doing warranty work.
I'm certainly not defending dealers or Keystone. Both could do a better job. Buyers could also be more logical with complaints. We could also research and stay far away from dealers with a bad service reputation. I purchased the last 5ers from my dealer. I have given him additional work like adding a 2nd AC and slide toppers. I purchase items in their store. Yes, he puts me and others like me ahead of that bought elsewhere. I'd be pissed if he did not.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Captn John,
It is obvious you have not bought a new Keystone product and had to have any warranty work done lately. BTW nothing was wrong with my Air Conditioners other than Keystone did not install them as per Dometic recommendations. Keystone refused to fix the issue twice. I had to fix it myself with help from Dometic Engineering.

Under Keystone rules you must take your RV to a Keystone Authorized Warranty Facility to get any warranty performed. The dealer will not get paid by Keystone unless He gets authorization form Keystone to do any investigation, repair. Everything must go through Keystone Computer systems. If you pull your unit off the lot that is waiting for parts you loose your place in line and have to make a new appointment for repair when parts arrive. Not all dealers are like this but three in my area are during summer.

If you do have contact info email or phone you should publish it as many need it.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

~

I have a 2016 Cougar 5er. There were a few warranty items ~ thankfully small ones ~~ that were taken care of quickly.
If your dealer puts you at the bottom for using the unit while waiting parts that is his decision and means he has a lot of storage space. IMO that space would be better used for product. Yes, Keystone warranty must go through a dealer but systems can go through any authorized service person. When I had a furnace problem 750 miles from home it was fixed the following day and my dealer never knew about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Captn John,
It is obvious you have not bought a new Keystone product and had to have any warranty work done lately. BTW nothing was wrong with my Air Conditioners other than Keystone did not install them as per Dometic recommendations. Keystone refused to fix the issue twice. I had to fix it myself with help from Dometic Engineering.

Under Keystone rules you must take your RV to a Keystone Authorized Warranty Facility to get any warranty performed. The dealer will not get paid by Keystone unless He gets authorization form Keystone to do any investigation, repair. Everything must go through Keystone Computer systems. If you pull your unit off the lot that is waiting for parts you loose your place in line and have to make a new appointment for repair when parts arrive. Not all dealers are like this but three in my area are during summer.

If you do have contact info email or phone you should publish it as many need it.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #19

Figured since we have a 2016 Keystone Sprinter Wide Body TT bought new last September I would add my two cents. Ours is a 319MKS with three slides, RL, FB with W/D hook-up. We really like the unit as it is perfect for two and okay for a visit by grandkid(s). I did a ton of research prior to this one and based on what I found, mostly all brands have their share of problems, we went with the floor plan we liked best. Currently we are using it within a 5 to 6 hour drive time and DW doesn't retire for a couple of years yet at which time we may up to a 5W. Anyway, we have had a couple of minor things: water pump noisy as all get out and then started spitting and sputtering due to air leak back towards tank. One this model the FW tank is forward under bedroom and the pump is in the kitchen in the middle of the trailer under the kitchen sink area. We have never had a pump this noisy. One reason being it is realistically too far from the tank. Took it in and dropped it off on a Sunday after a long weeekend camp out and they call me Monday morning about ten and say it wll be done in an hour. I tell them do not pull it out of the bay until I get there in about 30. I want to here it run first. Get there and the tech is getting ready to replace the pump with the same model. I say stop, I don't want that model, I want the good Shurflo model and will pay the difference if necessary. Goes to Svc Mgr and he says pick out whatever I want. I did and we now have a much quieter pump, except it's still spitting and sucking air. Tech says he will nee to open the underbelly. Gets authorization and finds a bad connector at the FW tank and the line from the tank to the pump ( remember I said it was a ways away ) had a kink in it restricting the flow. Replaced everything needed and now works like it should. Still pulls a little harder than normal due to distance it has to pull water. Keystone covered it all.
Cracked roof vent inner frame. Keystone paid.
Have paint finish spider webbing on right side of front cap. Paint there just looked a little weird. Paint guy came out to check it out at the storage lot and says after testing it with a chemical that it has been repainted or sealed after the original finish was applied. The clear coat came right off and it wasn't suppose to. He showed me how to look for this and compare finishes. Keystone has already approved it and waiting for non-camping weather time to schedule in for re-do. At this point we are pretty happy with ours and with Keystone. I will add that our dealer, Byerly RV in Eureka, MO. is a long time RV dealer and carries a lot of Keystone and Thor products. Now, all this could implode in the next year, but I feel we got a fairly good built unit. I've been over it very closely and made a few simple fixes, added Strongarm system, back up side lights so I can see the back corners at night, an additional slim storage cabinet in the bathroom filling wasted space, Fabulous fan stove vent fan, ( these are great) and extra storage in wasted space in the kitchen cabinet area by the WH. Plan on securing the water lines under the kitchen sink area to stop the little vibration noise left over after pump change. Got one more weekend with our camp group next month and then play it by ear, or mother nature. Happy camping all!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

Yes, it sounds like you have a well built camper. I believe I do as well with our 2016 Cougar 303RLS 5er. We bought it in December and only had a problem with the furnace that Atwood took care of while we were 750 miles from home. We have used it about 140 nights and pulled about 4500 miles so far. We are much more likely to hear from those with a problem(s), especially major problems, than those of us with few to zero complaints.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2016 Montana HC 375 FL has been a constant pain trying to get Keystone to fix issues. The two AC systems could only cool the coach 9 degrees from outside temperature. Keystone refused to investigate it stating my coach was normal and working. Several leaks in sewer lines, and fit and finish issues have kept it in the warranty shop 4 months so far. I am now on my third warranty dealer waiting parts that were ordered 6 weeks ago.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #22

I had my new Bullet one day and was disappointed I got rid of my Jayco. I could tell the quality was just not the same. However, I also felt I was lucky with the Jayco, I'm sure there are poorly built Jayco products out there. Now I'm doing my best to be positive with the trailer. I'm going to work extra hard at keeping it in good order so that nothing else will frustrate me.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #23

I guess I am going to make some mad by my positive post but here it goes. We bought a new Alpine this past summer. On initial walk thru we noticed a chip in the Sink cover, the fireplace not working and a very light scrape on the floor where the one slide seemed to be rubbing slightly. After loan was processed the above repairs were to start. I couldnt pick the camper up for a couple weeks so left the camper. I got a call a few days after purchase from the Service manager and he said that while they were going over their own inspection they noticed some clear coat coming off the wheels and they went ahead and ordered 4 new wheels from Keystone. Picked my camper up 2 weeks later and all repairs and issues were take care of. My fireplace was replaced by an upgraded version. No parts were in stock so everything was ordered after inspection and were received and installed in the 2 week period. After camping we had a couple more issues, water pump appeared loose and vibrating loudly and the inverter led screen would sometimes go blank. Took back to the dealer and after 2 weeks inverter replaced with a new one, the pump was re attached and the dealer noticed that a check valve wasn't working properly and replaced that also. I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with the dealer or keystone. This is our 3rd camper and the fit and finish on it is far superior to our earlier Jamboree motor home or Damon park model. I do know from experience with another hobby I am involved in that when I need parts to repair or replace something the dealer waits till he gets a large amount of orders before he places an order with the mfgs to get free or reduced shipping..something to think about.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
It is always to hear good things.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #25

I've come to conclusion a lot hinges on the dealer and their relationship with the manufacturer. Mine, Byerly RV in Eureka, MO. has handled all of my needed fixes with no problem. Just had an electric jack switch go bad, out of warranty about a month and they submitted it anyway and got if covered. They move quite a few Keystone and Thor products through their dealership and have a huge repeat business. Some years back I spent a few years as the service manager for a Chevrolet/Chrysler dealer in my hometown and having grown up in a dealership family I was determined to have the best shop around. After 18 months we reached 5 Star with Chrysler and GM gave me full authorization power on warranty claims and adjustments. No better advertising anywhere than a happy customer!!!! Especially at a small town coffee shop.........
Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Poor Keystone Quality

I do not get angry when a customer posts they had a positive experience. It would be nice if all of us had that same experience. I get no gratification for posting that my 2016 Keystone Montana is junk. I do this so that others may consider this in their purchase questioning.

In my case I have had 6 months of Heating and Air Conditioning Issues, Keystone refusing to replace damaged components blaming them on me, flooding the basement with grey tank leaks, flooding the cargo bay with grey tank and fresh water plumbing leaks, having issues with the rear roof bond.

It is good I did not plan to start fulltiming until next year as the furthest I would have gone is 35 miles to the best Keystone Warranty Center.

I am sure some build crews are better than others, mine all appear unskilled looking at their work. So how many units like mine are produced each year? Take you chances but the wait to get response from Keystone Customer Service and Owner Relations suggests they have a lot of issues.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #27

Well I question when someone constantly is negative about experiences, in warranty, with keystone when I had just the opposite. I notice some people who constantly post the same negative responses to any post that has a discussion about their brand or model. Then someone like the OP questions the quality of the units. I had a total of 4 items ordered by my dealer to be installed in my camper over 3 separate visits to my Dealer. two of the items were large and expensive and no time did I wait more than 2 weeks for parts to arrive and be installed under warranty. Nor did I have to get in a heated discussion with the MFG to solve warranty issues. The third time I called to set up an appointment I was told that there was a 6 week wait for service but when I mentioned it was a warranty issue with a trailer I bought from them I was in the following week. I would not expect the mfg to fix anything that was out of warranty. No mfg does that. If I waited till the last minute to schedule an appointment with my warranty elapsing I think I might be partially to blame there. I know that there are a ton of keystone products on the road, many many Montana 5th wheels. Are they all perfect, no. Are some lemons, perhaps but I got to think that keystone isnt wholly to blame on much of what I read. For those that have got what they consider a lemon there are state laws that protect us from this.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Well I have 6 months left on my warranty and another appointment scheduled around thanksgiving, first available from several weeks ago and I am on their cancellation list.

You are naïve if you think all states have similar lemon laws. In most it is extremely difficult to get anywhere. In some states if you have bought an extended warranty a court will not pay much attention unless you have exhausted that as well.

I do not think any of us has enough information to speak for the industry. I am only speaking of my issues which are well documented on a 2016 Montana High country 375 FL. I am also in communication with two other owners and all of us are having similar issues.

Again I am happy you have had a good experience with Keystone and hope others that make a decision to buy one are getting good products.

I am not purposefully breaking my coach or imagining manufacturing issues.
I however from my experiences cannot highly recommend Keystone Quality judging from my personal experience.

Tags
quality