Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

'03 41DS03 Tire Pressure?

Hi. Yesterday, I increased the tire pressure from 105 psi on the fronts to 115 and from 97.5 on the rears to 105.

During a test drive a few minutes later, the ride was rougher. More worrisome was the steering - it seemed somewhat more "twitchy" at highway speeds. I.e. it seemed to wander a bit more and it felt like I was overcorrecting constantly. So...

What tire pressure do you keep in the fronts and rears? What model do you have?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. We've had our TS for about 10 weeks now. Due to a family tragedy, we are just now getting it set up properly. I.e. lots of questions. Still searching for answers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
Hi. Yesterday, I increased the tire pressure from 105 psi on the fronts to 115 and from 97.5 on the rears to 105.

During a test drive a few minutes later, the ride was rougher. More worrisome was the steering - it seemed somewhat more "twitchy" at highway speeds. I.e. it seemed to wander a bit more and it felt like I was overcorrecting constantly. So...

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. We've had our TS for about 10 weeks now. Due to a family tragedy, we are just now getting it set up properly. I.e. lots of questions. Still searching for answers.
Dan..
Have you had the axles weighed? Or even better corners weighed?
Your pressures seem a bit high to me and are higher than I use and I have a 4 slide coach..
Too much air will definitely give you those symptoms..
Ron
Hope your personal stuff has leveled off..
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Dan.

Until you have your coach weighed, you should inflate your tires to carry the GAWR of your axles. There should be a placard close to the drivers position listing your GAWRs.

Use the tables in this publication to determine your pressures:

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Dan,

Those number do appear high, which would give you the ride you are experiencing. As identified above, the best thing to do is weigh the rig (when loaded for normal travel)and set the pressures according to the tire manufacturer's specifications. Until you do that I would start with the recommended pressures provided by TS. On my MOHO, that info is posted on a tag on the wall right behind the driver's seat (between the slide and the arm rest). Good luck.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #5

Ron, Steve, Lou,

Thanks. I'll check for recommended GAWRs and reset the pressures. In addition, I'm having the alignment checked at Valley Freightliner in Mt Vernon, WA (a Spartan Chassis certified service agent). I'll see if they can do a four corner weight.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

We have a 2004 40DS03 Select which is a 2 axle coach, when we weighed on an axle scale, 3/4 full of fuel and all water and sewage tanks 3/4 full. We weighed 13,800 # on front axle and 22,900on the rear axle, so looking at the tire book it showed to carry 120# in front & 100# in rear, I have not had a 4 corner done yet. Hope this helps.

Ben:
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 AM   #7

When you determined weights per axle or 4 point , and you give the data of tires , like maximum load AT maxloadpressure ( cold) , I can calculate an advice pressure with as much possible reserve and still acceptable comfort and gripp.

Without knowing that , I can only asume your pressures to be to high from the complaints they give.
But as long as you did not weigh , I will have to do with the GAWR's amd when you are busy also give GVWR.
To be complete , also give maximum speed of tires ( In Europe given from J=100km/62m/h to Q= 160km/99m/h , often N for your kind of vehicle with 140km/87m/h).
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure