Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

04 Travel Supreme - side motor

I have a 04 Travel Supreme and have a slide motor problem. The last time I pulled the coach slide in, it almost made it over the "hump" but didn't make it. I was able to push it and made it in.

Knowing the motor is over 12 yrs old and not wanting to wait for it to fail altogether I bought a new Klauber motor.

It's suppose to arrive in a couple of days.

Has anyone replaced the motor and if so, any tips or hints? Does it matter if the slide is in, out or half out when replace the motor?

I assume the motor simply turns until it meets enough resistance to stop? It also turns one way when the button is pushed. When pressed again it stops and pressed again turns the opposite way?

Thanks in advance.

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Keith,

You may want to check your slide controllers and turn up the "gain". This is a common thing on the big slide getting over the "hump". You may have a spare motor 😀👍
Bslagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslagh View Post
Keith,

You may want to check your slide controllers and turn up the "gain". This is a common thing on the big slide getting over the "hump". You may have a spare motor 😀👍
Bslagh is right.. Check the "Gain".. If you do have to change the motor.. No big deal.. Slide should be in.. Not for any reason other than it's easier to get to the motor in the compartment.. I have changed 2 and the hardest part was removing the cotter keys.. I had a hell of a time getting them out of the shaft..
Really pretty easy..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Keith,

Well that would be just too easy! The next logical question is... How do I adjust the gain. The controller is in the small bay by the drivers seat?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #5

I replaced the slide motor a few months ago and hardest part was getting pin out. Use a wrench or adjustable wrench and put some pressure on the slide bar and pin should work out. If it is just turning up the gain, the controller is on the right front where the inverters are.

Todd
Kimberlyd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Keith,

I think I figured it out turn the "stop adjust" towards the max side.

Any hints on how many turns to turn it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
I think I figured it out turn the "stop adjust" towards the max side.

Any hints on how many turns to turn it?

Thanks for your help.
NOT turns but just a fraction of a turn.. Turn too far and you will crush stuff.. Just a hint of a turn at a time..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
My motor transmission failed on that side last year. If the motor is trying and skipping the transmission is stripped. If the motor just stops at the hump, module adjustment needed. As you have cranked this in and out manually, there is no binding...
It took a month to get Klauber to make and send, so I had lots of practice hand cranking this super slide in and out.

Motor change: install in or out. Module turns off power when amp load is reached.

David & Jane Norton
2006 TSS "Sweet Rollin"
djnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnorton View Post
My motor transmission failed on that side last year. If the motor is trying and skipping the transmission is stripped. If the motor just stops at the hump, module adjustment needed. As you have cranked this in and out manually, there is no binding...
It took a month to get Klauber to make and send, so I had lots of practice hand cranking this super slide in and out.

Motor change: install in or out. Module turns off power when amp load is reached.

David & Jane Norton
2006 TSS "Sweet Rollin"
Thanks. Luckily I've never had to hand crank. I just pushed on the slide to help the motor.

I think (hoping) the controller adjustment will do the trick.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
It sounds like the controller adjustment will do it for you, but as Ron identified adjust in very tiny increments (barely move the potentiometer). If you start blowing fuses at the stop (either fully retracted or extended) you when too far.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
It sounds like the controller adjustment will do it for you, but as Ron identified adjust in very tiny increments (barely move the potentiometer). If you start blowing fuses at the stop (either fully retracted or extended) you when too far.
Thanks. I'll take it slow!

Tags
travel, travel supreme